What weightloss does to people

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    if I lose weight am I going to become like this? Yes weightloss will make you healthier and more fit but does it really make you a better person?

No, weight loss will not make you a better person, nor will it make you a worse person. If you don't want to be slutty then keep your panties on. If you don't want to be selfish, then don't. If someone else chooses to do the opposite, realize that it is none of your business and mostly just your perception. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being selfish once in a while. In fact, one could argue that it's healthy. You and your happiness are no less important than anyone elses.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have lost weight. A couple of them have become extremely superficial and straight up selfish and slutty.

They might have been bullied for being overweight and now feel the need to overcompensate, and maybe to exert their new power by bullying others. When people who were bullied are in a new position where they have more power, they can sometimes become like the people who bullied them, in order to feel powerful.

I think it's a lot about self-perception too. I mean, if someone has always despised herself for being fat, and she sees thin people as superior and fat people as inferior, then when she becomes thin, it stands to reason that she will see herself as being superior and despise the fat people. The fat people will represent her despised former self that she has tried so hard to get away from, and she needs to prove herself by showing that she is not 'one of them'. I've seen this happen a lot with unpopular people who become popular, or shy people who become talkative. But it only happens if a person really despised themselves and felt inferior - the self-hatred gets transferred onto others. if you have a healthy self-esteem, and don't despise yourself for being a certain size, then you won't change once you lose weight.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Chances are those people were like that on the inside before. They were too ashamed to behave in that manner.
    I have found that it doesn't change you but, it reveals you.

This ^^ or have you ever thought that maybe...juuuuuuust maybe they're not used to getting the attention they've craved for so long and they're finally getting it? That in itself can cause someone to go absolutely wild if they're not able to handle it.

This is true !
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You're a little young to be this bitter already, no?

Ha !
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Chances are those people were like that on the inside before. They were too ashamed to behave in that manner.

^^ THIS --- 100%
  • leetha24
    leetha24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some people do become superficial. Perhaps they like the new attention because they never received it before. If they are talking down to you there is no reason to have them in your life or share your journey. Sourround yourself with people who are encouraging, build you up, and hold you up in tough times. Be sure to check yourself and make sure you aren't being overly sensative. Maybe their comments truly are coming from a place of help.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Some people have no self-awareness. They achieve something and don't learn the lessons that come with the experience. You can see this often in the work world when someone builds themselves up to be a success then forgets what it feels like to be on the bottom. It's not inevitable. The more success I have, the more humble I am because I realize how much luck, and in-born talent is nothing but luck if you think about it, and help from other people play into it.
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This ^^ or have you ever thought that maybe...juuuuuuust maybe they're not used to getting the attention they've craved for so long and they're finally getting it? That in itself can cause someone to go absolutely wild if they're not able to handle it.

Agreed
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    They are just learning their new status. Making choices and learning. Live and let live. You choose what to be.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    I know a few people who have lost weight. A couple of them have become extremely superficial and straight up selfish and slutty. These people have changed so much that I actually get a little apprehensive about losing weight. Why are people like this? I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes. Any chance one of these people get they try making me feel bad because they were once as big as me and they try to show off and say little double meaning comments about me. I just don't get it and it makes me worry, if I lose weight am I going to become like this? Yes weightloss will make you healthier and more fit but does it really make you a better person?

Or maybe your just overly sensitive and unperceptive. Maybe, they really are trying to help you, but it comes across insulting to you because they are already skinny. Think if a larger person said these things to you and say they've already lost 100 lbs but have another 100 to lose would you feel the same? Maybe, it's not them. Maybe, it's you.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nowt wrong with slutty.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There is no one as self-righteous as an "ex" something. An ex-smoker is unbearable because they can no longer stand being around smoke. They become allergic to it. I know. I am one. Ex fat folks are much the same. Ex poor folks who get rich are often that way too.

I see a number of people here who were once fat or obese and now slim and trim and even athletic. They tend to talk very authoritatively about weight loss and health and sort of look down on those still in the struggle. Not all of them are that way, however. In life, there are people you're going to like being around and many others you will detest being around. Just choose not to have those people who annoy you or who feel superior to you in your group of friends and write them off wherever you see them post.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    In my experience, some stay nice, some vindictive (want to shove it back in the face of people who dismissed them when they were fat), some inspirational, some obsessive, some more confident, some more vain, etc.
    Personally I believe the majority of people between the ages of 18 to 60 do it for vanity reasons. Over 60 and it's more about health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm 42. I have a nearly year old daughter and I'm hoping to stay healthy long enough to walk her down the aisle.

The vanity is just a bonus :happy:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the sentiment that it was always within them. Maybe the fat acted as a filter for that behavior?

I think once I get rid of my "Fat Shield" with +5 awkwardness, I'll be the same person.

I hope my fat isn't filtering a honey boo boo child.

This is the best thing I've read all morning. :laugh:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely correct.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have lost weight. A couple of them have become extremely superficial and straight up selfish and slutty. These people have changed so much that I actually get a little apprehensive about losing weight. Why are people like this? I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes. Any chance one of these people get they try making me feel bad because they were once as big as me and they try to show off and say little double meaning comments about me. I just don't get it and it makes me worry, if I lose weight am I going to become like this? Yes weightloss will make you healthier and more fit but does it really make you a better person?

I think your concern about changing into this kind of person is enough to show that you WILL NOT behave that way. :wink:
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes men become sluts.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being slutty?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    What's wrong with being slutty?

nothing so long as your on the right side of 30?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes.

It does (the helping others part at least).

However ex-fat people can see right through the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses of fat people. For many fat people their lives are built on them. People who haven't been fat are often lacking in this vision, because they haven't been there.

A lot of fat people aren't ready to hear the truth. Being humble also means being an enabler of the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses that are keeping you fat. The ex-fat have learned how to be harsh and unweilding with ourselves, to not accept excuses and weakness.

The ex fat can only show you the door. If you don't want to see the door, you certainly aren't willing to step through it.