"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• flag91
    flag91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I prefer Black, but I don't get bent all out of shape if someone refers to me as African American. It does bother me a bit that people (of many colors) seem to get perturbed when I simply call myself an American. White folks don't go around saying white American or Irish American, German American, etc. unless it is time for their cultural festivities or something. They just say American or white. I just say American or black. It's not a big deal, Americans come in all colors.
    As someone who is half black and has a Bachelor's degree in 'African American' Studies, I prefer being called black. I'm not from Africa, my father is not from Africa, his parents are not from Africa, etc.

^This and ^this is awesome.

I'll admit, I didn't read all 17 pages (mostly because I assumed it would not be constructive since MFP usually doesn't do well with these potentially volatile topics (or even the seemingly benign)), but reading posts like these give me hope for humanity.

I was excited and read up to pg 11 bc the commentary, for the most part, was very intelligent and offered light to each side. Of course the d-bags chimed in, so from pg 12-16 you did not miss much. I'm a HUGE pot of mixed, so I, like most everyone else who DID comment intelligently, appreciate people who are just sincere and not assuming :)

I like your post and I agree! LOL. There were some people that wanted to turn it into a fight, but I can appreciate the intelligence and insight that many came to share without letting it become a bloodbath. I'm kind of impressed that most.... yes most and NOT all... people were respectful and enlightening. :-)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered what was politically correct. Just from my observation though AA or people of color or black people......are actually varying shades of BROWN.

so wouldn't refering to someone as the brown person be more appropriate?

It is weird though, because I am caucasian, but my skin is quite dark naturally and goes quite a bit darker when I tan (darker than some of the "black people" I know) so why I am not labeled as something other than white (since I'm not actually white at all)?? Is it other physical differences that play into that??
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

We aren't so hip to finding out the heritage of others so as to call them "Irish Amercan" or "Britsh American"; they are simply White Americans. we only do that with people of "colour". I prefer the term "Black"...or if you're more concious...brown =)

Actually, its very common for a person whose family has been in the US for several generations to proudly call themselves 'Irish', 'German' or 'Italian' simply stating and identifying their heritage.

African Americans seem to be the only group that when doing this, gets to hear everyone's thesis and deconstruction of the term.

That is simply not true. Plus, to be honest, there is a difference between saying I'm Italian and I'm African. Italy is a country. Africa isn't. I don't care what people call themselves. But if you're saying I'm African, do you even know what that means? It's like saying I'm European. Each country has it's own history, it's own culture.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I say black. I don't go around calling people European American I just call them white. and so on and so forth. To me it is like calling every Spanish speaking person you meet Mexican and I know for dang sure that couldn't be further from the truth.

there are native people in other continents that have skin as dark if not darker and hair as kinky if not kinkier as mine but they are not of African decent at all.

And if Charleze Theron has her US citizenship, she is more African American than me.

austrailian aborgines

http://traditionscustoms.com/sites/default/files/aborigine.jpg

some people in India:

http://images.lightstalkers.org/images/923612/Jarawa_N_B_Titre_low_def_large.jpg
  • califitgrl
    califitgrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options

We aren't so hip to finding out the heritage of others so as to call them "Irish Amercan" or "Britsh American"; they are simply White Americans. we only do that with people of "colour". I prefer the term "Black"...or if you're more concious...brown =)

Actually, its very common for a person whose family has been in the US for several generations to proudly call themselves 'Irish', 'German' or 'Italian' simply stating and identifying their heritage.

African Americans seem to be the only group that when doing this, gets to hear everyone's thesis and deconstruction of the term.

That is simply not true. Plus, to be honest, there is a difference between saying I'm Italian and I'm African. Italy is a country. Africa isn't. I don't care what people call themselves. But if you're saying I'm African, do you even know what that means? It's like saying I'm European. Each country has it's own history, it's own culture.

It is true. You even see threads here where people break down their lineage all the time. Yes, Italy is a country and Africa is a continent but keep in mind, descendants of African slaves, for whom the term was coined, do not have the details of the countries their ancestors are from. We were stripped of that knowledge yet we still have the right to recognize and appreciate that heritage. Everyone should have the freedom to self-identify without judgment. How does it take away from any other American? Also regarding "saying your African do you even know what that means...", with the term no one is saying their African but African-American which has its own unique culture which is American with roots and experiences that are a result of our ancestors having come from Africa.

This makes me think about the term Native-American. It is recognized and accepted as the term for the indigenous people who were in America before colonization. It is not taken literally to mean a person who is native to (born in) America which would include many people black, white, brown, yellow and other.

All that being said, I am not offended if I am call Black or African American. I am both. I particularly call myself Black because that was how I identified growing up. For those that are Black but not African American, I'm not sure why one would take offense if someone honestly mistakes your background. A simple correction should suffice. It happens to me often since I speak Spanish but I just let them know.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Actually its very true, the second part of your post shows that.

As far as the difference between saying "African" vs "Italian" is almost splitting hairs; is the heartburn really about continent vs country? Really?

Unless you were actually born in Italy (or Germany or France etc), then you're just a white from American,not Italian. Isn't that the typical argument against the phrase African American?
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I'm Black I don't call myself African Jamaican so I don't get why Black Americans try to stand out with their "African American" title. You want eqauity but you don't even call yourself Americans you say "African American", while caucasians just say American and not "European American".

You call yourself African American when some Africans look down at you as decendants of slaves and no genuine Africans and at the same time you call yourself African American when you know nothing about Africa or it's culture. Some African Americans even look down on Africans as if they are better and feel offended if you mistake them for Africans.

The rest of the world looks at everyone born in America as Americans. Why take on a different title we all know you are decendants of Africa and other places, the African American title just makes the country seem segregated and hilights that race is still an issue you.

"My Opinion"
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

This is a perfect explanation. My husband is from the Dominican Republic and he prefers the term "black" as well for the same reason. Well said!
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I'm Black I don't call myself African Jamaican so I don't get why Black Americans try to stand out with their "African American" title. You want eqauity but you don't even call yourself Americans you say "African American", while caucasians just say American and not "European American".

You call yourself African American when some Africans look down at you as decendants of slaves and no genuine Africans and at the same time you call yourself African American when you know nothing about Africa or it's culture. Some African Americans even look down on Africans as if they are better and feel offended if you mistake them for Africans.

The rest of the world looks at everyone born in America as Americans. Why take on a different title we all know you are decendants of Africa and other places, the African American title just makes the country seem segregated and hilights that race is still an issue you.

"My Opinion"

Although I see your point, it is very a generalized and a somewhat uneducated statement. Not all Black Americans that are descendants of Africans call themselves African Americans. Some choose to be called simply Black. And for the record, Blacks do not always choose to stand out but rather they can be simply singled out because of the color of their skin. This has and will continue to happen. As a descendant of Dominican, White and African ancestors, I am still considered Black.

Even as an American, citizens of other races and cultures are categorized as Asian American, Native American, Mexican American - for reference you may google Race & Ethnicity surveys. Is owning the title African American such a crime? If that is what the individual chooses to do, then so be it. I can and will not judge anyone that on the account of wanting to be called Black, Brown, Yellow, whatever.

You said that Caucasians label themselves as such; however, none of my colleagues of that particular persuasian do so. I have heard, "My great-grandfather is Irish and there is German on my mother's side." They are proud of their European ancestors. And I am proud of being Afro-domini-casian. LOL

In truth, yes, we are all American, but being individualized by our ancestoral heritage is not what divides us. It is racism, bigotry and fear of the unknown that causes division in our country.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Thanks for calling me uneducated hope it made you feel better. The person who posted asked "black or African America" obviously my answer is Black.

No where did I say allllll Black Americans call themselves African Americans read and understand. My statement was towards the ones that do that.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Thanks for calling me uneducated hope it made you feel better. The person who posted asked "black or African America" obviously my answer is Black.

No where did I say allllll Black Americans call themselves African Americans read and understand. My statement was towards the ones that do that.

I said your statement was generalized and SOMEWHAT uneducated - not you.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options

I said your statement was generalized and SOMEWHAT uneducated - not you.

When my Internet is back up and I'm off my tiny phone I'll be better able to address your response, it's difficult to scroll up to what you said.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never thought the term 'boy' was offensive. But fine, any word can be hateful if used in a certain context. Does that mean that 'n-gger' or 'n-gga' should become socially acceptable? No... because the word boy means 'male' and the N-word mean 'ignorant and uneducated'.

I think it is fair to say in modern American (emphasized only because I can't speak for other nations) society that everyone has an education to some extent. Therefore, it has no real place in the English language anymore. Does the term 'carpet-bagger' still exist? Only in historical context. So why is it too much to hope that this one word pass from the English language as the other words that were born of that era?

When I said That guy is one "bad dude"

You can look up the word bad and find all kinds of meanings.

The B word has all kinds of meanings.

F-g is a cigarette.

The N word is not ONLY an offensive word.

Finally Hate is in the heart....How any word is used can be offensive...

There are girls at my job who some guys say are ugly...

They call them Star...which is Rats backwards...

They in their face say Hi star...but really calling them rats...

The delivery of a word changes the meaning....

Sorry I just dont' agree with you

Yes "*kitten*" is a cigarette but the word "*aggot" is not. The derogatory meaning of the shortened word is derived from the derogatory latter word. Changing the word does not change the meaning or the damage it does.

Actually "aggot" is a traditional english dish! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*kitten*_(food) , so sometimes the delivery can change the meaning.

However, I do think that certain words should just never be used at all, and the N word is one. I also get annoyed with the general trend to swear or insult each other in the guise of affection e.g. the B word
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, people were taken from many different countries in Africa, and cut off from their history. Many African Americans today have no idea which country they are descended from.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was born/raised/live in the deep south. Calling someone a "person of color" would get you slapped. It implies that white/caucasians are devoid of color. Surprisingly enough though, more people here seem to prefer to be called "black" though African-American is used when describing the culture.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of the term "colored people"?
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    [qoute]
    Although I see your point, it is very a generalized and a somewhat uneducated statement. Not all Black Americans that are descendants of Africans call themselves African Americans. Some choose to be called simply Black. And for the record, Blacks do not always choose to stand out but rather they can be simply singled out because of the color of their skin. This has and will continue to happen. As a descendant of Dominican, White and African ancestors, I am still considered Black.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

If you said i'm making uneducated statement that's saying i'm not educated on the matter threfore i'm uneducated. (Uneducated people make uneducated statements) As I said before I never said all Black Americans call themself African Americans, I know some simply call themselves Black as have been stated by others before my post. I never said "Blacks try to "always" stand out.
    What do you being a decendant of Dominicans and white have to do with anything I said? irrelevant! However I know that.
    Even as an American, citizens of other races and cultures are categorized as Asian American, Native American, Mexican American - for reference you may google Race & Ethnicity surveys. Is owning the title African American such a crime? If that is what the individual chooses to do, then so be it. I can and will not judge anyone that on the account of wanting to be called Black, Brown, Yellow, whatever.

I do know that people are categorized as such however I gave my take on the whole "Black or African American" which was the question. I never said the term "African American" was a crime, stop reaching. I never in my statement told anyone to stop using the term. Again your last sentence is irrevevant to my post. However you wont judge anyone on wanting to be called whatever but yet still you will judge and lable my "opinion" as uneducated because you disagree with me. lol cute
    You said that Caucasians label themselves as such; however, none of my colleagues of that particular persuasian do so. I have heard, "My great-grandfather is Irish and there is German on my mother's side." They are proud of their European ancestors. And I am proud of being Afro-domini-casian. LOL

In truth, yes, we are all American, but being individualized by our ancestoral heritage is not what divides us. It is racism, bigotry and fear of the unknown that causes division in our country.

I never said caucasians label themselves as anything, learn to read and understand. I said Caucasian refer to themselves at simply Americans not European Americans. Again your last statement is irrevevant to anything said in my post.

To this I add as a Jamaican living in the United States growing up here and going to school here I based my opinion on what I see going on around me not what 'google' has to say, because I introduced myself as a Jamaican doesnt mean I'm in the Caribbean sitting on a beach talking out of my a ss. (((again my opinion)))
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe my opinion doesn't matter since I am not black, but this is what I think anyway.
    I don't get all offended when someone calls me "white". It would be dumb to refer to us as "caucasians" all the time. Makes it sound like a cadaver. So if the races are equal (which I believe they should be) why can't it just be black and white?
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    I guess maybe my opinion doesn't matter since I am not black, but this is what I think anyway.
    I don't get all offended when someone calls me "white". It would be dumb to refer to us as "caucasians" all the time. Makes it sound like a cadaver. So if the races are equal (which I believe they should be) why can't it just be black and white?

Agreed.
  • usmcjarhead3
    usmcjarhead3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Technically, isn't a caucasian and all other races "People of color."? Last time I checked, white is a color, black is a olor, red, brown and everything else is a color. What has happened is that being caucasian has turned into the generic standard in which any skin not that color is judged. As all ethnicities and races have thier nicknames both good and bad, I also had red hair. So, we got:
    Cracker
    Whitey
    Wonder bread
    saltine
    Red
    Rusty
    Fire Crotch
    Red on the head like the **** of a dog
    Ronald Macdonald

Like I eluded to in an earlier post, this nonsense has got to stop. We are all AMERICAN regardless of your color. Nobody is saying forget your heritage, (if we were to go to war tomorrow under a mandatory draft) you would be fighting for AMERICA. We hopefully you would at least. We are so concerned about being so overly sensitve and politically correct, the "Melting Pot" of ethnicities that made this country great and what it is today is going to be the same reasons that it divides us. It is already starting.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but I think African American is a little bit of a stretch for most people that describe themselves using that term. Most are not connected to Africa in any substantive way and are culturally 100% American. If someone referred to me as a European American, I'd probably laugh. I mean, my culture is not European, it's thoroughly American. So we can cut that whole first descriptor out, I think. I might have the same skin tone as someone from Germany, but we are not culturally connected in my mind.

Sometimes I get really radical and call people by their first names...