"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I knew it was you! HAHAHAHAHA!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What are we talking about, again?
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't refer to myself as "German American." Just American.
    FFS.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I applaud everyone for being able to express themselves here, and especially to the OP for posting the question. Any topics of race seem to be peppered with landmines no matter who you are, where you come from.

I think the reason we all get so confused and hung up on the WORDS is that everything underneath it — all the nitty gritty of the race discussion — is so complex and emotional and (possibly) painful to someone. Most people, deep down, don't want to lob a grenade at anyone, even inadvertently. :blushing: And as a white girl from a not-so-diverse place, it's hard to know what terms / language / whatever to use in what situations. I don't wanna screw it up.

I find myself just trying to approach everyone as a person ("a person's a person" like it says in Dr. Suess). I have a close friend who is like a brother to me, and he is married to a "white" girl. Because we have a long standing relationship, and I know I can ask him anything, he chuckles at all my questions about race over the years. When this kind of discussion is one-to-one with someone you know and care about, it's not as fraught with danger. :flowerforyou: