Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @melissa--Our HS picks one charity each year and does a bunch of activities to raise money for it. The events can start earlier in the year, but we always have a week or two in Feb. that we call Charity Bash with fundraising everyday. This year's charity is St. Baldricks--such a great cause. I didn't realize how little funding there is for research specifically targeting children's cancer. We have a bunch of teachers shaving their heads in April as the culmination of this year's bash. I'm not one of them, but I did donate to one teacher and several other events.

@L2T--looks like you Week 3 is off to a great start!

AFM--made it to the grocery store and home for some dinner. Now I'm at Panera--got through 8 more papers, but the lighting where I'm sitting isn't so great and I'm almost done with my green iced tea, so heading home. Will do a few more essays tonight before indulging in The Walking Dead.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 22/64 AP essays
    2. 7/16 AP analysis activities
    3. 60/60 Gatsby motif charts DONE
    4. x/60 Gatsby tests

Exercise Goals: (week 3)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--PT + walk gunner
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--PT + walk gunner
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone ... thought I'd pop in to Sunday share about a soup I made tonight that was ever so tasty to me ... It made just over 4 cups of finished soup.

2 cups organic, low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    2 scant servings (about 18) mini cheese ravioli rounds
    2 scant servings (about 1-1/4 cups) frozen corn kernels
    1 servings (about 2/3 cup) frozen peas
    1 serving (about 2 cups) organic baby spinach leaves
    1 serving (about 3/4 cup) grape tomatoes, halved
    1/4 cup diced onions
    juice of 1 lemon
    black pepper to taste

Bring the broth to a boil, add the ravioli rounds and frozen vegetables. Bring back to a boil, add in grape tomatoes and diced onion; reduce the heat to simmer. Add the baby spinach leaves and lemon juice and black pepper. Simmer until tender and the baby spinach is wilted but still bright green.

This isn't a soup I'd want to have any left overs for ... so if you make it, plan on it being the main portion of dinner for 2, or a starter for 3-4 people.

Other Sunday Share ... I want to make a trip to the midwest in late summer around my son's 50th birthday ... but only if I reach a weight loss goal that I had set for myself at the beginning of the year. Now that time is about 6 months away but I haven't lost any weight since February, and might be up 5 or so pounds because I've been overeating too often. So today I revisited my goals on MFP and lowered my daily calories to my BMR insead of a cut from my TDEE. Looks like I have some new habits to learn or old ones to unlearn ... including upping my activity level. So glad that the hard winter is finally breaking. I won't feel like staying huddled unter a comforter on the couch with the balmier weather coming in. I'll know where I stand on the scale coming Check-In Monday, but I think I will start weighing in more frequently again.

For anyone who isn't familiar with BMR and TDEE .... BMR is basal metabolic requirement of calories for my body to function at it's current weight. TDEE is the calories I'd need to maintain my current weight with all the activities of the day ... that's the calorie total I cut from to lower calories for weight loss.

Hope everyone is enjoying their TV or other activities tonight. Sunday evening is my TV night.

Follow-thorugh .... Niki
  • jdingus728
    jdingus728 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm new too this. My goal is to to lose 100 lbs. Any suggestions? It's hard to try to eat atleast 3 times a day. I have been eating small portions 3 times a day but I was used to either eating twice a day or once and snacking. My husband is a twig so it's hard to see him eat what he wants and I have to to eat healthy lol.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ugh. So today is my "cheat day" since we don't observe Lenten fasts on Sundays. I had fast food for lunch and dinner. Thinking I'm over it. Maybe a "cheat meal" from now on, but not a whole day. It's not like I eat super healthy the rest of the week yet, but my body is telling me that it prefers the sort of healthy eating at home I've been doing so far during Lent.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @melissa--yeah, I think it's amazing how quickly our bodies adjust to the more nutritious food. I also don't eat "clean" by any means, but when I have a junk food binge, my body rebels and I feel like crap. Usually if I can run after eating a lot of sugary treats or processed carbs, it helps get rid if that icky feeling. I guess it burns a lot of the excess glucose from my bloodstream and brings my body closer to normal.

@jdingus--welcome! I don't know that there's any hard and fast rule about how many times per day you should eat, so if eating twice or just once and snacking works better for you, then start doing that with lower calorie foods or smaller portions to meet your calorie goals. If you find that isn't working to keep you from getting hungry, then you can always try switching.

@niki--that soup sounds good! I hope the switch in calorie goal works for you--I often find that just re-assessing goals puts me in a better mindset about my food choices.

Sunday Share:
    Well, I ended up getting 2 more essays done tonight before TWD started, so I still have 40 left. I'm going to try to get 10 done throughout the school day tomorrow during my opens and lunch b/c I know I won't get any done after work since I have another bargaining meeting after school.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 24/64 AP essays
    2. 7/16 AP analysis activities
    3. 60/60 Gatsby motif charts DONE
    4. x/60 Gatsby tests

Exercise Goals: (week 3)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--PT + walk gunner
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--PT + walk gunner
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Sunday share. I'm Tracy. I'll be 42 next month and I live in Bismarck with my husband and two children. I work out of my home for a life insurance company and I don't likeworking from home. But, since the company I work for doesn't have an office here in Bismarck and I don't want to give up my 17 years of seniority, pay, vacation timeetc. I will continue to work from home :-)

The Girl Scout cookie sales at the mall were successful today on two levels. First we sold all the boxes we needed to so nobody had to buy their own. Second, I paced for two hours so I got some good walking in. And while I did have sunflower seeds today, I stayed within my calorie goal! Didn't quite make my water golf but not too far off.

Well, it's later than I wanted it to be so I'm going to head to bed. I'll do some personals in the morning. Good night!

• canary40
    canary40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm new here on the boards. I am a life long yo-yo dieter. Wrecks havoc on your body
  • canary40
    canary40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    canary40 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm new here on the boards. I am a life long yo-yo dieter. Wrecks havoc on your body

Goodness gracious!!!! I typed a big long message and I think only a small portion of it appeared. Wth!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @Laurie…our gym is quite stuffy right now too – which adds to the “stink.” Like Karen said, I'll be ready for warmer weather when they turn the air on.
    @Karen…glad your migraine was held off. I only had them in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy with Jacob but I would never wish them on anyone. I remember lying in my bathtub with the lights off and towels stuffed under the doors so no light would shine through. UGH.
    @Mel…Let me shock you again…I don’t like Mexican food either.
    @Nikki…where in the Midwest are you hoping to go? I’m sure the switch up will work for you.

AFM…Today’s going to be a busy day for me – nothing major, just lots of little things. My sister finds out if she’s having a boy or girl and has asked me to make Gender Reveal cupcakes. So today during my lunch I’m going to get a couple of batches of cupcakes in the oven. After work, she’ll be telling me the results and then I need to get at least 6 done quickly so she can go over to our mom’s and then to my nephew’s to have them find out. I don’t have to have the two dozen done until before bedtime since she’s picking them up for work on Tuesday morning. Jacob starts track today and he has his 8th grade band concert tonight. Emma has an orthodontist appointment this morning, Jacob might have one this afternoon and I have a chiropractor appointment late this morning. OY! On one hand it’ll be nice to have them all done, but goodness, my van will get some mileage today. HA!

My goals for today
    75 oz of water
    Stay within calories
    The running around listed above 
    Water aerobics

How’s my March stacking up?
    Cardio – 3 times a week –2/2
    Lifting - 2 times a week – 2/2
    Water Goal – 5 days a week - 1/2
    Calories – 6 days a week – 0/2 (missed it by a day this week)

This week:
    Cardio – 0 / 3
    Lifting – 0 / 2
    Water Goal – 0/5
    Calories – 1 / 6
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @tlh0407, @skinnyjeanzbound and @Lauriek70 - Thanks for the well wishes. It's very surreal. My sister is doing pretty well considering. Feels like we're in some sort of Lifetime Movie. He was released from jail this weekend with conditions on his release that he not contact any minor females....so, technically, he can still see their 3 year old son. It doesn't seem right. Right now, they haven't negotiated any visitation, but my BIL is originally from Africa and has many foreign contacts. When he came for his police supervised visit to the apartment to pick up his stuff, he was frantically searching for the kids' passports. Good thing my sister thought to hide them! She'll be mentioning that info to Victim Services today. Maybe they'll rethink the visitations with my nephew, or at least make sure they're supervised....ugh. Until this all goes to trial, and really probably forever, life will be complicated.

@skinnyjeanzbound - Under for the week! Great work!

@Lauriek70 - Phew. Under 200 again. Like you said, there are always those monthly fluctuations to deal with.

@tlh0407 - Good job on the exercise!

@grandmakaye44 - Can't believe little Jane Kaye is a toddler already. It doesn't seem that long ago that you posted her newborn pic!

For those who enjoy a good Pi day....:) The school celebrated on Friday, and my daughter won the Pi memorization contest for 2nd grade...she remembered 22 digits! She won a bag of candy. The teachers each got a pie.

Monday check in: I'm down another pound this week. And so busy and not sleeping well.
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    jdingus728 wrote: »
    Hello everyone I'm new too this. My goal is to to lose 100 lbs. Any suggestions? It's hard to try to eat atleast 3 times a day. I have been eating small portions 3 times a day but I was used to either eating twice a day or once and snacking. My husband is a twig so it's hard to see him eat what he wants and I have to to eat healthy lol.

• naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Working from home until this evening when I have a meeting. I find it esier to stick w/my food plan on the days I work from home. I'm glad to have a day w/less stress early in the week.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Tracy~You don’t like Italian or Mexican food?! Very interesting. :wink: Italian is my favorite—I could live on pasta! :lol: I don’t like Asian food (i.e. Chinese, Thai, etc.)—there are some things I’ll eat at PF Changs or Pei Wei though, but they aren’t very Asian. :smiley: Gender reveal cupcakes—cute! My sister’s gender reveal with her first baby was with the cake at her baby shower—very generic cake, I only knew from the name on the cake.

@Amanda~Oy, I cannot begin to imagine what your sister is going through. :cry: What a tough time for your family. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers while you try to understand and begin to heal.

@canary40~Welcome, glad you found us. Weird things happen in the cyber-world. :wink:

@Niki~Hope the changes you’re making work for you.

@Karen~I see lots of grading on your list, hope you can make a dent so you can enjoy Spring Break a little! Schools here were out for Spring Break last week.

AFM~Sorry I didn’t stop by all weekend, my laptop is still in the hospital—it’s frustrating to post from my phone or tablet. I hope to hear from them today on the diagnosis and solutions. I didn’t do much all weekend, stuff around the house and a little retail therapy at Bed, Bath & Beyond—too many gadgets, so little money. :blush: I did behave though and only bought what I went for. Saturday was my official weigh-in day, I was down 1.4#--seeing how my activity has been lax because of Achilles, I’ll take it. :grinning: I’ve got some baking to do this week myself—six dozen cookies to drop at church on Saturday for Sunday’s bake sale to benefit upcoming mission trips. Hope to bake half on Thursday night and the other half on Friday.
  • NK1112
    Options
    Monday Check-In ...
    gained 1 pound this past week ... with the weight gains I've had the past 3check-ins I've wiped out all the losses I'd worked so hard for from the beginning of this year - - - I lose weight in grams and gain in pounds!. However this is not something new for me. That's always been the case and is the main reason I'm so overweight. Like many other people I don't stick with it and go back to sloppy eating habits that packs on the pounds. I averaged 1044 calories a day of CARBS over the past 30 days, that's about 360 calories worth of daily carbs that I should not have had. For me, carbs go right to my middle.

Will report next Check-In day!
    Follow-through ... Niki
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

@hansea47‌ - My heart goes out to all of you. This is never easy and with your BIL being allowed to see his son it gets really complicated. I pray you all find your way through this mess safely.

@Niki - I too am up a couple of pounds but have not wiped out all my losses this year. I am just having a hard time getting my weight loss mode going again.

@jdingus728‌ and @naiomi2015‌ - Welcome, this is a great place to get support and ideas. Tell us about yourself and post often so we get to know you.

AFM: Sticking to my goals has been difficult over the weekend. I skipped the gym on Friday. Saturday I lifted and swam. Sunday I did only 1/2 of my usual Sunday routine. I am really liking the swimming but find it makes me really hungry. Official weigh in is in the morning but I am pretty sure it will not be good. Food has been all over the place but not out of control. I tried to log everything but sure I missed some.

I think there may be several things working against me. The time change, my thyroid medication my be off a little. Swimming more. Stress from the son, husband and work all contributing to my absent mojo.

Over the weekend I found that my car is haunted. There is an electrical problem somewhere. Warning lights going on randomly. I walked out to my car in the parking lot at work and the side door was open. The low fuel light went on the other day and I went to fill up and it took only 3 gallons instead of the usual 18. Hubby is checking some things out today but I do not hold out much hope. The warranty expired last week. It is paid for so the prospect of trading it in makes me cringe.

Good things in my life today:
    The equinox is Friday and the coming months with the additional daylight are a boom for my body and mind.
    The counseling for hubby and I is having a positive impact.
    Hubby truly is listening and communicating in a caring way.
    Son agreed to go back to AA.
    My pants are all getting too big again. Yes, I will have to do more shopping but we are almost to skirt weather and I am looking forward to wearing skirts with sandals again.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Everyone – I’m 4 days behind and slowly catching up – its suspenseful!

@Laurie – re: Chicago on 9/11 – Travis Manion Hero’s Run – Chicago’s close for me. Even if I couldn’t run the 5K it would be fun to meet up with you there. What about the school year for you teachers? Conflict?

@GramK – How’s DH-s hand healing?

@Kah – yay for the cortisone and boots !

@Melfornia – great weather and exercise –walking up slides – tell me you did it again!

@tih – I’m impressed with your strong mothering – your RIGHT to put the brakes on with Emma at age 8 rather than 15! WOW – GOOD for PRE-PLANNING FOOD !

@L2T – your picture always makes me smile – and the phrase you chose – I just love it

@Jennbo – you’re doing great with logging..and your food urges aren’t unusual at all. If you got us all in one room we’d be laughing about all our similarities! The traditional saying about building a habit says it takes 28 days – but new studies say it actually takes over 300 days of steady practice to build a habit ! So, look at the positives – you gone 5 months of not eating treats in the office – that’s huge! You have the tenacity to overcome a stumble. I was impressed with your Subway story as well. Watching those small calories at the end of the day is very important. Five gold stars!!!!

@jtconst – your life is such a whirlwind the days surrounding your DH’s departures – I’d be so sad about him going that I’d struggle throwing away the snacks – very proud of you – and for logging.

@Steelwill7Us – welcome – hope you come back frequently – we can support you through the many months ahead!

@Niki – maybe it is the full moon because at the mention of the word “porridge” I drifted away to a little cottage in the woods for a few minutes…ahh….

@Skinny (Karen) Really happy for you that the 5th class turned out to be less grading ! Looking forward to hearing about interesting speeches.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No fast food yesterday (just the pasta dinner I had with salad and bread... did not pig out like in the old days, Victory). No fast food today, though today is not over I am only going to the walk-in clinic in the small town near me and there is no fast food there anyway.

I came home early from work today, actually I only spent an hour there before deciding to go home. My neck and shoulders have been really sore lately, despite some new exercises added last week to strengthen the front neck muscles. Last night it was bad, this morning even worse and the headaches came back. Since last September, many days I've been working through the pain (sometimes with meds, but they don't always help) but today I just couldn't do it. My job is very physical and I'm constantly moving, twisting and lifting. I can barely turn my neck left and right to check for traffic when driving, and I'm in the car up to 6 hours per day. I'm tired of working in pain, and I know my job is hindering my progress. My doctor (the one I'm going to try to replace very soon) has offices with a few other doctors at the county hospital and they rotate working at a walk-in clinic 2 days a week. It's open tonight so I am going and hoping he is not there (he works a lot in the ER, and I'd be glad to see someone else). I am at my wit's end with this doc, I don't believe he is doing what's best for me. I'm tired of 'sucking it up' at work and practically begging him for pain meds. I should not have to do that.
  • NK1112
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tanya949 wrote: »
    My neck and shoulders have been really sore lately, despite some new exercises added last week to strengthen the front neck muscles. Last night it was bad, this morning even worse and the headaches came back. /quote]

Tanya, have you had a physical evaluation with x-rays or an MRI of your spine in the head and neck area? The only reason I ask is that what you described sounds like you could have some injury that regular exercise could exaserate rather than alleviate.

I had to wear a neck brace for a couple of years back in the early 1990's and then again in 2002. During that time, I could only do physical therapy moves at home, and at the PT clinic 3 times a week for 3 months (insurance coverage lapsed at that point). I still do the neck PT moves on a regular basis and they are such simple and easy moves ... I also had electrical stimulation to the muscles in the upper back done either at the PT clinic or at my chiropractor's office.

One of my nieces had sever pain, stiffness, and headaches and it turned out to ge a crushed vertabrae in her neck and she had to have surgery where they removed the shattered vertabrae and installed a cadaver bone in it's place.

Not something to fool around with ... being that stiff and sore in your neck.
    Good luck, hope the 'other' doctor is there and gives you better alternatives. Believe me, pain meds are not the answer.
    Niki

PS ... sorry, hope you don't mind my throwing in my 10-cents on this. It;s a subject close to my heart. I was just logging my lunch and browsed the thread before logging off, and saw your post.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm chiming in for Tanya as well - have you seen a chiropractor? I sprained my neck in 2007, and the chiropractor helped me get through it without surgery. (I didn't have crushed vertebrae or a slipped disk, but the doctor was seriously considering surgery initially.) I still see him every week for an adjustment as preventative care, although the daily yoga (Day 71!!!!) is helping a lot so I may back it down to every 10 days or 2 weeks.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness.

I haven't been here in SO long!

I just wanted to drop in and let you guys know *why* I've disappeared and am temporarily putting weight loss on hold.

vn11y9.jpg

We have a little nugget, due October 21. :)