Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!! I hope it was a good weekend with food choices, exercise and life in general. My weekend was OK. Saturday was a blur as I volunteered twice at the ball field (concessions, 11-1 and gate sales, 5-7) than Cyrus had a football game at 7:30. Some of the families go out afterwards so we didn’t get home until after Midnight. Sunday was pretty quiet (thank goodness). I had to make a Wal-Mart run (yuck!!), but other than that it was uneventful. I didn't get to see my friend Greg, but that's OK. He had family stuff and of course football. Men and their football. LOL!! Eating was OK, but was a "little" off track. I still logged everything, which is good. No exercise though so I’m not happy about that. I really need to make it a habit and do something every day even if it’s just a 15 minute walk. Weather has been gorgeous so I should have no excuse. Sigh.

We got our football pictures on Saturday. Here’s my gentle giant, Cyrus, and he’s only 13. Crazy, huh??!!!

09t47dhc7zim.jpg

@Jnfer98 – It’s great you’re bringing your own snacks. Good for you! I know when I plan ahead it’s a better week that’s for sure. Overall, last week was good. Just a few things here and there, but for the most part I had 5 out of 7 days under calories so a good week. Also, I saw your post to Robin about being a grad student. Good for you! Is it also around design?

@RobinsEgg (Ellen) – Thanks for the kind words. As parents, we have to be advocates for our kids. I just wish we could get his feet back on track. This is the second week wearing the orthotics so hopefully this will make a big difference over time. Regarding myself, I’m in a good place. I think because I’ve finally given myself a little break. It may be a slow loss, but I’m just going to keep pushing forward and trying to make each day a good day (food, exercise, well-being). I think it’s helped also not having to travel either. I have one trip in October to Orlando for a week (two back to back conferences), but other than that nothing else, which is fine with me. Thanks for the update on the mushrooms. It’s nice you shared with your friends too. Sorry to hear about your ankle, but you made me smile about hurting like a banana slap. Too funny!!

@cblue315 – Hugs Lori!! I know you want to keep losing, but perhaps it would be good to just try and maintain for now. With the home situation and crazy work schedule, you’ve got so much going on right now. There has to be some give somewhere. You can still exercise because I know that’s a good way to let go and it's part of your daily life now, but not worry about the scale going down. Of course, we don’t want it to go up either, but just keep it steady for the next couple of months. Hopefully, things will start to balance out. Safe travels this week and give Ellen a big hug from me!!!

@grandmakaye – Your walk sounds really nice. As I mentioned in my post above, I need to get out and start. I can’t wait to hear about your FitOne Race on Saturday. It’s good your DH is getting out too. The activity and sunshine are good for all of us. Good for him!!

@kah68 (Kelley) – The donut sandwich sounds really good. Great job just sharing though! A few bites is all we need anyway. Right??!!

@Laurie – Hugs to you too! I hate you’re hurting. I’ve known you a couple of years now and after meeting you I know you have only their best interest at heart. You would never say or do anything intentionally to hurt someone. Plus, like you said, some of these people really don’t know YOU so who are they to judge your character? It sounds like their a bunch of busy bodies with not enough on their plate so their busy judging others. Shame on them!! You’re all volunteers and if this guy is really helping to bring in sponsors than they shouldn’t be so quick to find fault. As long as you’re working well together and getting things done, I would take the high road. You’ve done nothing wrong.

@skinnyjeanz (Karen) – Great! I was hoping the condo was somewhat convenient. Now we’ll just keep our fingers crossed the big wigs don’t take it from us. LOL! I’ll get registered this week. Can’t wait!
  • hi_imshaun
    hi_imshaun Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have WELL over 100lbs to lose. Anyone feel free to add me for support. I'm going on my 30 day streak and I'm 16 pounds down so far. I'm in it for the long haul!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Day of Peace!
    Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
    The theme of this year’s commemoration is “Partnerships for Peace – Dignity for All” which aims to highlight the importance of all segments of society to work together to strive for peace. The work of the United Nations would not be possible without the initial partnerships that were active in its creation and the thousands of partnerships each year between governments, civil society, the private sector, faith-based groups and other non-governmental organizations that are needed to support the Organization in achieving its future goals.
    The International Day of Peace was established in 1981 by resolution 36/67 of the United Nations General Assembly to coincide with its opening session, which was held annually on the third Tuesday of September. The first Peace Day was observed in September 1982.
    In 2001, the General Assembly by unanimous vote adopted resolution 55/282 , which established 21 September as an annual day of non-violence and cease-fire.
    The United Nations invites all nations and people to honour a cessation of hostilities during the Day, and to otherwise commemorate the Day through education and public awareness on issues related to peace.

International Day of Peace

To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have. ~Ken S. Keyes

11857432.png

Tom
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I initially had 118 to lose, but I've lost 28. I would love to join your group. Need all the help I can get. I also need an active (chatting, posting) group to help me stay motivated. Y'all seem chatty and I like that.

My normal WI day is on Monday's but DOH! I TOTALLY forgot to WI this morning! lol I will do that tomorrow with the hopes of losing at least 1 lb. (bad week with not being 100% on plan).

It's a pleasure to meet all of you and let me know if you need any help. I will do whatever I can to help out.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Susan~Cyrus looks so grown up and serious in that pic, hard to believe he is just 13! It’s been said you only taste/enjoy the first 3 bites of something—I would enjoy the first right down to last bite of that dessert! :lol:

@jnfer98~The best way to incorporate more veggies is to try and have them with every meal. If you cook eggs for b’fast, add some onions/peppers (look in frozen section at store for pre-cut to save time). Spinach, asparagus and mushrooms are also tasty with eggs— so if you have any left over from a meal toss them in. I also like raw veggies (carrots, bell pepper, cucumber) with hummus (roasted pine nuts is my fave) and PB on celery. Also, if you are “allergic” :wink: to veggies roast them—completely changes the taste.

@bigbidness219~Welcome and congrats on your loss so far! :star:

@pudgypigeon~What a tough diagnosis to hear at such a young age, you have made tremendous strides in both your health and weight loss. Keep it up!

@Terri70~Welcome & congrats on your loss so far! :star:

AFM~Not much to report today. Yesterday I made some Mexican chicken soup and got in the freezer for when I’m laid up in a few weeks, also started some deep cleaning so slowly marking things off my project list. Weather looks to be pretty decent today, so if it doesn’t heat up too much I plan on getting out on my bike this afternoon. As a side note, I bought some Boar’s Head Chipotle chicken this weekend and OMG is it hot! :wink: Tasty but hot.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I get a newsletter or e-mails from MFP with some great tips. This article popped up today and that's exactly what this group is all about "Finding people to share your journey." You guys are my people!!! Enjoy!!

The #1 Habit You Should Have to Lose Weight (It’s Not What You Think!)A while back, a few of my colleagues and I decided to write down every single fat loss habit we have ever used ourselves or with our clients. In 4 days we had listed 167 of them. That’s a lot. Recently I asked those 50 coaches to look at the list again and pick the one habit you should have to lose fat easily.

And it wasn’t on the list.

To be fair, a habit is sort of nebulously defined. I think we can all agree that a habit is anything you do regularly, but according to the definition we use in psychology, a habit also needs to be done automatically—as in, without really thinking about it. Which is why identifying habits by yourself is so hard. How can you think about the stuff that you don’t have to think about?

Which is probably why we missed this habit. And it’s exactly why this habit is SO important for fat loss.

You see, all habits need a trigger—a little reminder that says, “Hey, you should do this action now.” They also need a reward—a little reminder that what you just did was a good thing. But these are really hard to identify by yourself because they happen below our level of consciousness. It’s really hard to remember new triggers, and it’s hard to remember to reward yourself. Habits are hard. But this is the one habit that makes all the other 167 habits on our list easy. As a result, we decided that The #1 Habit You Should Have to Lose Weight (™) is:

Finding people to share your journey.

Permanent lifestyle changes happen in relationships. Whether they take place with peers, a coach, family, friends, coworkers, the other anonymous people at the meetings, or the other new recruits who joined the Marine Corps with you, new habits happen when people get together and help each other out.

Finding your own triggers are hard. Seeing other people’s is easy. Remembering to tell yourself, “Great job!” is hard. Remembering to tell other people is easy. Figuring out how to work new foods, new activities, and new steps into your own life is hard. Watching and learning from a whole bunch of other people like you who are trying to get to the same place you are is just so much easier! Even my colleagues, habit experts all, needed each others’ help to figure this problem out.

I call this habit, this all-important, #1 habit, “Creating a community of consistency.” And it can be as big a commitment as hiring a coach, or as simple as telling a friend what you’re doing to lose weight or inviting them to join MyFitnessPal. Whatever you can do to share the load of learning, planning, remembering, and rewarding will be one less thing you have to worry about.

Oh, and it doesn’t have to be around a campfire singing kumbaya. Support doesn’t have to fluffy to be effective. In fact, my Marine Master Sergeant at the Berkeley Officer Selection Office taught me more than a thing or two about being consistent, and he sure as hell never sang kumbaya with me.

We sang Marvin Gaye.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @susan Yes! I absolutely agree. I would have given up a long time ago without this group. My family has been wonderful, too, but I really think that you guys are the secret to success.
    To the newcomers, you will find the best support from us on the thread here. Most of us rarely go to the home page. It's friendlier here and easier to share our lives. Everything we do has an effect on our success.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • jnfer98
    jnfer98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @kah68 Thanks for the tips. Those are great suggestions and I know more veggies=feeling fuller throughout the day. Might be tricky for breakfast as I'm an oatmeal or Greek yogurt eater, but I think I'll have a small portion of eggs on the side. I'll try some of the snack tips this week. You rock! :)
  • jnfer98
    Options
    Welcome @PudgyPigeon and @Terri70 I'm a newbie too, but the group has been ever so welcoming. Glad to meet you and congrats on your success thus far! :)
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Lori-Thanks for the advice. At first I was going to apologize but then was told don't because you did nothing wrong. Today, I rewrote the email I was going to send to the group and removed all the apology language. It did not get sent and the sponsor pulled out. I will remain friends with the sponsor but he will not return to the Friends. I am sadden by this development but I totally understand how he feels. I will talk to him either tonight or tomorrow even if I show up in person at the deli.

Welcome to the new people. You have found a great group of people that lend support, answer questions and provide help as needed.

Update on my dad- he was moved a private care facility that is run out of home. He is very happy there and has other people to talk to. The people who runs/owns the place is a friend of mine from my Jaycee days. I know he is in good hands at this point. His whole outlook is looking up.

I did enjoy a nice visit with my cousins from CO this weekend, they came into town for a vacation so we were able to get together tonight. The nice thing about their visit was that I was able to go on a 2 hour walk with my cousin so that was about 8 miles maybe more.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen, I just signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle. I am looking forward to doing the 8K (approximately 5 miles). Now, I have a major reason to get faster. Looking forward to spending time in Chicago.
  • Brenda_Bel
    Brenda_Bel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to myfitnesspal and I am looking for motivation, tips and support! Just wondering....how do you make a post with your pounds lost and pounds to go picture on the bottom? Thanks!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @GrandmaKaye - sorry about your bum foot - sounds really uncomfotable. I'm glad to here your hubby was out today mowing. That is great balance work for him.

@jt - cute new pic!

@ newbies - welcome all - yes we'll all be friends, but it happens here not on your home page, ya'll have to drop back here to see what's happening and tell us whats up with you and ask questions if you need advice or a boost up!

@Laurie - so glad you found what sounds like a really nice home for your dad and he took to it right away. That had to have eased it for your mom!

@Kah = I'll check out the sorbets next time. Thanks.
    Oh, I have a confession. Last Christmas, when I tried to make those almond butter cookies, they came out terrible, and I tried once more, and again really runny! I could figure it out, but I did enjoy eating the almond butter spoonfuls at a time! As I neared the end of the bottle I make sure I bought the same brand, but what I brought home was not the same! Comparing labels I realized the first bottle, the once that I had baked such runny cookies with, was actually, Almond Honey Butter - wrong, Kelley, I was used the wrong ingredient - so now I know my mistake! Voila! I can try again. But out of the ingredients so need another trip to the store. Maybe on your surgery day in your honor?

@Susan - sounds like Cyrus, Grandma Kaye and I should all be walking is our orthbedic devices all at the same time!

@Lori @CBlue - glad you shared your bummer of an anniversary with us and didn't bury it away. Yep, its a sad one. It was odd, but both my exes insisted on signing the papers on our anniversaries too. Just to get one more year under their belt I guess.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I'd say more but fallin asleep!
  • kah68
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Laurie~I’m so glad your dad seems happy in his new surroundings.

@Susan~I absolutely agree with that MFP article! I could have never done this, kept at this long, or kept from gaining a ton of weight back without the help and support of others. I, especially, owe so much to this special group of friends. :smiley:

@jnfer98~I love Greek yogurt! Most of the time I have it for snacks but do eat it for b’fast occasionally—topped with fresh berries and a low-glycemic, high protein organic granola makes for a powerful b’fast that will last for hours! :wink:

@robin~LOL, yep that would probably give those cookies both a weird consistency and taste. I need to make some to have around when my mom is here to help me after surgery--they keep forever in a well-sealed container. Here is the recipe again just in case you jotted it down wrong:

3-Ingredient Almond Butter Cookies
    Servings: 22 • Size: 1 cookie
    Calories: 63 • Fat: 6 g • Carb: 7 g • Fiber: 1 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 4 g
    Sodium: 27 g • Cholesterol: 9 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup Justins Maple Almond Butter
    6 tbsp raw sugar
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Remember you can use any almond butter (I've used some less expensive organic brands, it just needs to be natural). You can try other nut butters also--peanut, cashew, etc.
  • jnfer98
    Options
    @kah68, Yes Greek yogurt is the best! So versatile. I've even made dips with it. It's a lifesaver.

Last night I made cauliflower "mashed potatoes" for the first time and was quite impressed. They were delicious and taste similar to real potatoes. Great way to sneak extra veggies in
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Voter Registration Day 2015
    Every year, millions of Americans aren't able to vote because they missed a deadline or didn't know how to register. National Voter Registration Day is a huge coast-to-coast effort to ensure no one gets left out. This isn't about supporting candidates or political parties. It's about making sure our voice is heard!

National Voter Registration Day 2015

The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future. ~Shiloh Morrison

11857432.png

Tom
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited! I lost 1 lb this week and am out of the 240's at 239! YAY!!!!

Good morning, everyone!

Put on my fitbit yesterday. Does anyone know where you go on your dashboard to see how many steps you've done so far? Their website has changed since 6 months ago when I last used it. Grrrrr lol
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @Kah68 - do you bake those cookies or refrigerate them?
    @cblue315 - I'm sorry your anniversary was such a sad day, but you are a really strong woman and I know good things are around the corner for you.

AFM - my spa day on Thursday was a mixed bag - the massage & facial were wonderful, a late late birthday gift from my son. I was supposed to take my niece with me as a super late b-day gift to her, but she got up late and didn't want to reschedule, so she brought her 10 yr old son & 5 month old with her and expected the 10 yr old to babysit for 3 hrs in the lobby! Needless to say, they asked her to take the kids home after she was in the massage for only 25 minutes - she left furious of course! A 30-something woman should have known better - she could have rescheduled her massage and taken the kids to her mom's then she could have enjoyed the facial in peace but nooooo!
  • kah68
    Options
    @Terri70~What type of Fitbit do you have, most have a display so you know how many steps you’ve taken. Do you have the Fitbit app? You can refer to it, but to answer your question they changed the “tiles” on the dashboard—the one for steps is now entitled “this week’s activity.” To see your steps, after to add the "tile" to your dashboard click on the footprints on the top and then hover over the bar on the graph for today and it will show you how many steps you have so far.

@goinstd12 (Tracy)~They are baked. Here are the rest of the instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Spray two nonstick baking sheets lightly with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, mix the almond butter, sugar and egg until well combined. Spoon 1 level tablespoon of the mixture about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Flatten the mounds with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern on the cookies.

Bake until golden around the edges, about 10 minutes**, switching the position of the sheets halfway through baking. Let cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.

**Watch the baking time, they can go from done to burnt quick! :wink: