Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options
1157415751576157715781580»

Replies

• droothompson
    droothompson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well. I am front-loading with creatine , because body recomposition is hard - and for a man in my shape - required. Any bonus I can get to muscle building , i'm taking.

So, even though I show a calorie deficite of almost 8000 calories in the preceding week, not including 6 workouts.. , on Friday I was up 1.5 lbs.

I *know* its a good up. My belt is halfway to 'punch another hole' and my shoulders and chest are really feeling the burn. But even knowing that this is 'creatine makes your muscles inflate if you load up front' .. seeing the scale move away from my goal feels bad.

Crossing my fingers that this friday looks better....
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Man, I didn’t realize how long it had been. I don’t deal with stress very well, what I mean by that is I get in my own head and I get really laser focused on just what is ever stressing me out. I will start out by saying I might not be ready to date again. Or the amount of work I’ve done on my self just made me realize that, you’re not just gonna treat me anyway you want to. I have decided to stop talking to the guy that I was talking to because he basically told me that we were never going to meet unless I was the one who asked him out. Sorry , I don’t do well with people telling me what I have to do… however, I will say in the past I would have just ghosted him, but this time I told him that that was not going to happen so I guess we don’t have to talk to each other any further.
    WELCOME NEW PEOPLE

@nsk1951 - i’m glad that you have your surgery date and I will keep you in my prayers. I’m also glad that your son is coming to help you. I have no problem sharing my dad‘s recipe for cream tuna. Sometimes we put it over toast and sometimes we put it over grands biscuits.
    2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 ½ cups milk

1 (5 ounce) can chunk light tuna in water, drained and flaked

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir flour into melted butter until smooth to make a roux. Slowly stream milk into the mixture while whisking continually. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir tuna into the
    milk mixture; season with salt and pepper.
    until tuna is warmed, 2 to 3 minutes.
    @JNettie73- hope your ribs are feeling better. I hate the feeling of man I just hurt myself. It seems that it happens much easier since hitting 50.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen ... Thank you for sharing your recipe for your dad's creamed Tuna ... and; guess what I had for dinner tonight? .. yep, that recipe! It was great.
    I did make a couple of minor adjustments as I tasted it .. one was to add in a little onion and garlic powder and a dash of nutmeg, the other was to add some peas to it as well. Wow ... I loved it.

Regarding your dating concerns/issues ... it sounds like you met this person online. I don't blame you for being apprehensive about meeting such new acquaintances in person. I do know a couple of people who met dates that way and one ended up a married couple but in that case, they both had a real lot of experience meeting people that way and had been burned many times before. That's so good that you are feeling empowered enough to speak up about what you expect and want from someone else.

AFM, I might end up having to postpone my surgery .. hopefully not. I've had a sudden decline in health with an acute asthma flare-up that might put the brakes on everything until it clears up. I'll know better next Tuesday when I see the doctor again (my primary care, not the surgeon: who I am stalling on calling until after that follow up appointment).

Keep on truck'n .. Keep on roll'n ... Keep on try'n ... cause that's the way to inch toward success!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I had x-rays done and to my surprise my ribs were not broken. Just badly bruised. I've been icing and resting. I've been completely pain free for a few days now. I am slowly adding back in exercise. Today I took advantage of the beautiful weather and went for a long walk.

@nsk1951
    Sorry to hear you are having an asthma flare-up. I hope you are able to get it under control and move forward with your surgery. Please keep us posted.

@mnwalkingqueen
    Wow. I don't blame you for being put off by what that person said to you. I am proud of you for setting boundaries and responding the way you did.

@droothompson
    Sorry to hear about the gain but from what it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. Keep up the great work!

@Shoppie2023
    I am amazed that you are getting up at 5:45 to get your walk in before work. Good for you! I bet it is an invigorating way to start the day!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @Shoppie2023 - it’s nice to know I’m not the only crazy person who gets up for a walk before work every morning. And I don’t think you’re crazy. It’s just my weird sense of humor.
    @JNettie73 - so glad that you did not break any ribs. I can only imagine the pain that you were in. A walk is better than no exercise at😉
    @nsk1951 - I’m glad you tried it… I tweak it also. Sometimes I use those flavored tuna packets. I like the jalapeño one. Sometimes I use hamburger instead. It’s just easy and simple.
    I am proud to state that the scale move down for the first time in four months. I really started focusing again, and only eating when I was hungry. I’m also trying to find ways to use my experiences to help others. A really good friend of mine who works for a nonprofit that empowers women has been pushing me to help either teenagers or young other mothers, who lost children. Based on my personal experiences, she constantly is telling me how sometimes people who have been through that are the only ones that can relate. I honestly I’m not very good at that so I have no ideas.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday check-in
    Saturday check-in.
    Well, today is the last day of September and I think it's time to start refocusing on a weight loss plan that is more focused than how I've been living since my cancer diagnosis. I took a look at my weight chart on MFP for the past year and this morning I am up exactly 12 pounds from 1 year ago, on Oct 1 2022. That is a trend I need to reverse.
    What I've been doing the past few months is simply keep a written log of the food I've consumed but I haven't been weighing or measuring, just going by my feeling of fullness. That method works to a certain extent, but then, there are those foods that wallop a big load of energy for the small bulk they provide .. energy dense is what I call that stuff ... and I need to cut back on that type of food and build in my lightweight stuff that provides more bulk. ... Oh gosh ... I think we all know this is one way to have a bigger calorie deficit. Then too, I have been extremely inactive since I moved into a senior apartment complex instead of living in a separate house of my own. There is much less physical mobility and activity in a 600 sq ft apartment with an elevator to the ground floor than a 1300 sq ft house on a village block; with grounds that need tending.
    As for my cancer treatments: I had surgery on Monday and am lollying about my apartment while I recover. No lifting, no driving until I see the oncology surgeon on Oct 11th. That's when I find out the results of the testing done on the removed lymph node and what my next step is.
    I have to admit that I was a 'big baby' before my surgery; fearful of the process and of how I would come out on the other end. I did just fine during the procedure, according to the hospital records. My son flew in to care for me and was with me for 4 days. That was such a wonderful thing ... to have him with me. It made all the difference in my mood and mental outlook on things. I was happy!

• Shoppie2023
    Shoppie2023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @nsk1951 how is your recovery going? I am thinking of you and I hope the next steps are non-scary ones.
    @mnwalkingqueen yes to the stupidly early walking crowd! I carry a torch with me now as its dark for the majority of my walk. The clocks change soon, that will improve things temporarily.
    @JNettie73 ribs are so painful my friend managed to fracture FOUR bending over to pick up her dogs lead. There's very little they can do too. I hope your bruising is wearing off and that you're feeling better.

My sleep is shot and I'm so tired, it's hard not to reach for sugar :-(
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Hi everyone, just wanted to update on my health status since I had an appointment with the surgeon yesterday for some suture removal and results of the surgery.
    I'm to see the surgeon again in a month to get closure on the surgical procedure. The surgery area received new bandaging that will be removed in 2 weeks and at that time I can also stop wearing the surgical compression bra that I've worn 24/7 since the surgery.
    Frankly, I'm so surprised at how comfortable this brassier is. I generally don't wear one because I find them so uncomfortable, but this one is more than tolerable. Only 2 more weeks of it and then I can decide if I will wear a bra when up and around or not.
    The cancer did escape the breast; getting into the sentinel lymph node but no further than that. The surgeon thinks the cancer is small enough at this stage that further surgery is not required and that radiation and medical oncology will probably take care of it. ... Appointments for both have been set up and will start when the surgeon releases me from her care.
    As for how I am feeling and doing with my weight management ... I feel very fatigued and the surgeon said that is common after the surgery and will improve. She also stressed that this is not the time to be counting or cutting calories and that I must be mindful of getting plenty of protein, the body's muscle building fuel. (Not that there is a lot, if any muscle in a breast, but I get it.)
    I have never been a big meat eater, and most of my protein comes from eggs, a little from nuts and legumes and a very small amount of animal protein ... so I have to work on that because; according to my macro records, I seldom hit even 18% protein and the surgeon would like much more than that.

I hope everyone is doing good on their programs. I'm not certain when I'll be back to using the food log and discussion boards. I've gotten so used to writing down what and how much I'm eating that it almost seems pointless to repeat the logging of it all into the app to get a calorie and macro count. But then, it's not like I have such a busy schedule that I could not do it. Just have gotten out of the habit of it.

Good luck everyone. Enjoy the autumnal weather while it's still good out there. Pretty soon, or before long, it'll be turning to bundle up indoors time!

• mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @nsk1951- you sound like you’re in good spirits. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and I’m glad that your son was able to spend all that time with you as you healed. I understand I have been using a different food plan myself, and I feel it is redundant to come and log my food in this app all the time. However, that also means that I rarely check in anymore.
    As for my self, I learned that when everything comes crashing down that I have resorted to old habits and behaviors once again. I haven’t stepped on the scale, so I have no idea how much weight I put on, but I can tell by the look in my face and neck that I have put on some weight.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen : You and me Queen. I was shocked when I stepped on the oncology office weight scale yesterday; albeit in street clothes with my hefty diabetic walking shoes on ... still, I came in at a weight that puts me back years in my slow weight loss efforts. Of course I haven't been sticking to 'just' a healthy diet, but one loaded with the fast added weight kind of stuff on a far to frequent occasion. If I'm not able to curb it soon, it won't be just my face that shows more fullness, but those double chins will be back again too!

AFM .. it's stage 3. Started a new drug today. Radiation starts next week.

Will keep you in my mind and include you in my prayers. Thank you for yours.
  • Shoppie2023
    Shoppie2023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @nsk1951 I'm so glad that you are healing so well from your surgery. Hopefully you will be right back at your normal self soon.

@mnwalkingqueen It sounds like you are going through a really rough time. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel shows soon.

I'm still ploughing on here. It's been a really hard couple of weeks weightloss wise and I gained a pound at one point but I have lost 3 this week (so net loss of 2 lbs in 2 weeks), so hoping I am back on track now. My exercise this week is fine as I'm off work (I work in a school and it's shut this week for half term, UK), but I need to be more committed to my morning walks with the dog. I completely bunked off the last week of term as I was just so exhausted that I couldn't face getting out of bed at 510 am. The clocks are going back on Sunday though so it should make it easier again. Just got to keep fighting the good fight.

I was originally 100lbs overweight, now down to 79 to go. A bit better?!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Shoppie2023 , thanks for the well wishes.

Yes, 79 to go is much better than 100 ... That's what I had set as my original goal as well ... Well, Duh ... the name of this thread kind of suggests that's where those of us who tune in to it are hoping to trim away off our builds! Ha, HA .. oh my! Seriously now; the one thing I have learned through the years of my own long journey, is that you really don't want to look at the daily or even weekly scale weight as a judge of how your efforts and routines are working. Something as simple as too much salt if you are sensitive can result in a sudden weight gain that takes days to reclaim, or some other food that triggers retention of one sort or another in your digestive tract. I speak from the heart here, Shoppie2023, because I can still remember when I was learning about nutrition and calories and TDEE and such things, that I really thought what I ate today or yesterday or what exercise I did the other day would have an quick result on the scale; and now I know our bodies just don't work that way. ... So the best you can do is work the plan you made for yourself as best you can, don't beat yourself up mentally when something takes a side turn, just bring it back on track and keep going. Good luck.

• mmatcha_latte
    mmatcha_latte Posts: 116 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm starting on my health journey again today.

About 15 years ago, in my mid 20s, I lost 130 lbs and kept it off for a good 7-8 years. My weight had been slowly creeping up again til Covid, where I gained a large amount quickly over the past few years. I'm 5'8" and 38 years old now and likely around 270-300 lbs, given my size. I need to buy a scale soon since my old one stopped working.

My goal is to be a healthy BMI for my 40th birthday, which might be a bit ambitious, but I'm going to try my best. I hope to lose quite a bit this winter and ease some of my joint pain so that I can exercise in the spring - my favorite exercise is going for long walks, about 5 miles per day.

Looking to add some friends who also need to lose 100+ lbs 😊
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Good luck @mmatcha_latte and congratulations on starting on your weight loss efforts. It is so easy to let it slide when you get to a certain point; it's like your mind refuses to accept the truth. And then one day the hard reality hits you in the face.

Just one note about BMI ... while it is a pretty good, and medically accepted measure ..There are actually 2 ways to look at it. The most common one is height to weight. Under 25 is the normal. Another one to consider is Height to waist circumference .. what you want there is less than 60, and normal is less than 50 ... so, if you are 5'8" your goal is to have a waist size less than 40 inches at the high end, and 34" for normal. The good thing about this waist ratio BMI is that it lets you know if you are carrying too much weight in throughout the stomach area. Which is where it is dangerous to have too much, as it indicates a lot of fat around the organs.
    That's the one I have had a hard time getting trimmed. I found that even as I lost pounds, my waist measurement wasn't changing. Now that is the focal point for me.
  • nsk1951
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Sunday saying bye-bye to this community thread.
    I've been reading and posting on this thread for over the 10 years; this is my third 'profile name'. Over the years I have watched it's posters disappear. ... and today I will disappear also.
    It may be that some of the posters I have communicated with on these pages may stop to say hello and wonder what happened to me and how I have progressed through my carcinoma therapies ... and so I will say this; I am still here. I am still under therapy and won't know anything until 'time will tell', because further testing in the future will reveal what-is-what. That said, I am feeling pretty good; more tired, more aches and pains, some treatment side effects to deal with. Plus also, I am looking forward to the New Year and have high expectations for it.
    My best wishes go out to all of you who stop by and read/post on this thread. Anytime we are undergoing difficult to achieve changes in ourselves or our life situations, we need all the 'support' we can find. I hope you find the support you seek. And ... just don't ever give up striving toward your goals. If you don't have any, you will stand still or slide backwards. When you do have some, you can work toward them a little bit each and every day ... and like the slow-poke tortoise, you can end up ahead of that 'rapid to start and faster to quit' hare. Good Luck.

Happy Holiday, whichever ones it is you share at this time of year. Welcome in 2024 with a safe and happy holiday.