Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen
    Oh my goodness, the key lime cheese cake sounds amazing. I love key lime! I really have to see if I can create a vegan version of it for special occasions. LOL

I can relate on the eating. Last week my SIL was here visiting. It was not so much of what I ate but how much I ate. My glucose stayed within range the entire time she was here because I was still eating on plan. We went out to eat once every day she was here. Of course we ordered appetizers and breads for the table that I gladly ate to hold me over until my food came. I gained 7 lbs in the 5 days she was here. Clearly I have not mastered the social eating struggle yet. UGH. It took me a week just to shed 5 of those 7.

We did not do our food shopping trip this past weekend because we were out and about doing fun things then had to take her to the airport. Being my husband and I share a car between his work schedule and mine there is not an ideal time to go during the week. Our refrigerator is looking quite empty and I have been struggling with trying to determine what to make for dinner. I'm not used to it not being filled with fresh veggies and fruits. I have been finding myself reaching for some of my daughter's school snacks to hold me over during the day. These are definitely not compliant. Thankfully we are going shopping tomorrow.

@LilRock25
    Welcome! Be sure to pop back in from time to time and share how things are going. You can bookmark our thread to help you find it easier. I always get really excited when more people join us. I hope you enjoy it here and stay!

• LilRock25
    LilRock25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @JNettie73 - thank you for the welcome! Its helpful to find people on the same journey.

The past few days I've strayed a little, but made sure to track everything & I'm not upset over the choices I've made. I could have done without some of the bar food or late night snacking, but its all accounted for and I didn't go over my calories too bad.

I also opted out of going out tonight. I really wanted to see this local band play, but this week has been absolutely exhausting and I'm just looking forward to an evening at home relaxing. Going to go to Home Goods after work for some retail therapy and then curl up with my book.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Hi @LilRock25 ...welcome. Like JNettie said .. I hop e you enjoy it and stay. ... This thread currently has very few folks who come on here about once a week or less. But we do love to follow along with how we are doing. .. And always happy to have more input from other folks on this weigh-loss journey. ...

AFM (as for me) .. I've been thinking lately about how our eating patterns/stated goals have evolved over the time we have been visiting this (here) thread. ... I know that when I first started, I was all gung-ho to simply lose weight by any means possible. I was so desperate to be slimmer and wished for it to happen as instantly as possible. ... I truly hoped that along the way I would also learn how to gauge my food choices better; both in types of consumables and in portion sizes. .. I wanted weight loss, but I also found out pretty quickly that I wasn't eating to the best of my own advantage! ... I can remember the days of trying to stay in a low calorie mode by severely limiting the foods I was allowing and then would end up not being able to keep within bounds when I ate something more savory/satiating/different! ...

Now a days, I hear and see so much about the newer 'diet' trends .. even the grocery store pre-packaged foods are all following the trends. But I don't want to be trendy when it comes to my food. I simply want to get the most nutrients I can from the selections I make based on my dietary needs, tastes, and budget!

The hardest part of it I have is making up/deciding on which 'recipes' I will actually prepare. And meal planning! That's always been a huge issue for me ... I cook for a family of 1 and end up eating a lot of left over meals that, to me, never taste as good reheated than they did the day they were cooked.

So, I still struggle .. if it isn't one thing, it's another!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Weigh-In ..
    Well, this week saw an average weight up-tick. The daily weight this morning had a loss over last Saturday .. but the weeks results were upset by a sodium imbalance in my food choices at the end of the week that spiked my fluid retention to the point of needing to see my doctor about the overnight weight-gain .. who prescribed yet another medication for edema. .. Taking an extra diuretic a couple of days brought my blood pressure, AND my weight back down to it's currently normal state. ...
    ...which leads me to my current thoughts about 'why do I eat ham, when I know what it will do to my body?" questions. Or, 'why do I eat a candy bar, (or a piece of cake, or 4 slices of bread in a day, or a second helping of pasta on my plate), when I know what it will do to my blood sugar? ...

This morning I stumbled upon an ad for a weight loss program called Klinco ..and investigating that brought me to one called Noom ... The one called Noom reminds me of an eating plan that the exercise and weight-loss guru Richard Simmons had in the 1980's .. color coded foods and how many of each color you could have in a day to meet your nutritional and calorie needs to hit your targets. ... interesting concept.

Have a good week everyone. I hope I can report a solid downward trend next week, hopefully down into the next single digit from my weight today. And that your plan works for you as well.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I recognize some of you from being part of this thread years ago. I lurk on here and read your posts frequently. I’m still here, but am not a confident poster.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy ... I remember you! .. i had a different profile name when was on here before. It's been a few years for me between using this app.

Hope you are doing well with your 'journey' .. Mine is slow and tortuous. (ha-ha-ha)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Definitely slow and tortuous!
  • LilRock25
    Options
    @nsk1951 - I agree on not wanting to fall in to the newest trends but also finding what works for you. It can definitely be difficult to do. And with social media and diet culture everywhere it makes it even harder. We see so much of the fast fad diets that "work quick" when in reality, they may work fast but are they maintainable?

I'm doing a "modified keto". Mainly just watching my sugar/carb intake along with calorie counting. I'm trying to focus on healthier choices, but also not making so many "diet friendly foods" to where this is not maintainable. This was a conversation had with my doctor revolving around concerns of blood pressure (not yet high, but borderline), cholesterol (high, but hoping diet will help), and watching my blood sugar (still ok, but history of Type 2 Diabetes in my family).

I think my biggest frustration with trying to do this is how many "tricks" and "hacks" there are for changing out ingredients in recipes. Some of these are great for long term. Some are great for short term. But overall, personally, being able to switch out greek yogurt for sour cream is not lifetime maintainable. I need to figure out portions and how to eat normally without making all these changes. I don't want to take my salad dressing/condiments/etc with me out to eat for the rest of my life. My overall goal is to learn how to do this for the long term.

That being said - weigh in day today. Lots of things factored into the loss, but I'll take it on matter what! Last week was TOM, so I know there was some bloat when I started. But this week I'm down 5 pounds. :smile: Pretty excited about that.

SW: 305
    CW: 299.8
    Change: -5.2 pounds
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @JNettie73- I totally understand not getting the out to eat part down yet. because I have been working so hard and not eating out as much I tend to over eat when I go out because I don’t get it as often. I know how determined you are and you will get that 7 pounds gone.

@nsk1951- you and me are definitely on the same wavelength lately. As I read your post about thinking back about when you first started here in your journey so far. Reminded me of when I first started. I just wanted to be skinny again which is ironic because I’ve never really been skinny. I wanted to be skinny and didn’t want to change anything at all so I spent most of my time trying to stay within my calorie range and eating all the crap food that I normally would eat. I have been doing that for several years and yeah, I’ll lose about 35 to 40 pounds and end up getting back about 50 or 60. It hasn’t been on until probably a month ago that I am like I don’t want to be skinny anymore. I just don’t want to eat crap constantly… I know if I choose healthier options that I will lose weight so I’ve been focusing on having at least two bags of frozen vegetables every day, or multiple servings of fresh vegetables and fruit. I learn from myself I have to just have one goal because when I have too much to focus on some of them fall by the wayside, and then they never get packed back up again. I also wonder sometimes why do you go to Sam’s Club and buy a huge bag of dark chocolate covered pretzel thins when you know dang well you don’t need that whole bag even if it takes you a month to eat it… It usually doesn’t take me a month probably like two weeks. I am right there with you also when it comes to cooking for one, I tried meal prepping for like a week and by the fourth day I was like this stuff taste like garbage after you have to re-cook it a second time.

@Melwillbehealthy- Hi!
    @LilRock25 - congratulations on the loss

AFM: well, I went back on blood pressure medication, and it didn’t work. Now my doctor has put me on an additional medication and that is making me tired all the time and swelling in my feet and legs. I’m not sure if anyone here has ever went to a natural doctor - what I mean by that is probably more like a homeopathic doctor? My friend just went to a doctor like that to get a panel done for her hormones, and as she is balancing her hormones out, she is not having as many issues with her self in general anymore. It was something I was thinking about doing myself, and was just wondering if anybody’s had experiences with natural doctors.
    This week I have also went back to counting calories even though it’s been a huge pain in the butt. I miss having the scanner but I’m not going to pay to have it. I realize that just keeping a food journal wasn’t really helping me because you can still over eat even if you’re eating good stuff, but I also don’t want to be counting calories the rest of my life. Hopefully once I get this eating figured out more I can have a better balance. I will say, though I’ve only went out to eat once as far as what I considered *kitten* food in the last two weeks. I was out shopping with my friend and she stopped at five guys and I had never been there before. I will say their french fries were extremely salty and I didn’t really care for them which is ironic and how I have high blood pressure when I can’t stand salty stuff but it’s because I was eating so much processed crap.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Hi all,
    I’ve never been good at the logistics of posting, but I’ll try.
    I was diagnosed with diabetes about two months ago. It shocked me into wanting to doing something to improve my health issues: high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I take several drugs which make me feel dizzy, tired and kind of foggy. I feel like all of a sudden I aged really fast. I’m older, but in the past had more energy than my kids. Now I’m working to get that healthy vigor back and get off the drugs.
    My doctor put me on ozempic for my diabetes. It’s ok. I feel nauseous but I did anyway before I started taking it, due to other issues, so that’s not new. I’m not up to a full dose and have requested my doctor not to increase the dosage. Yes, ozempic can help make it a bit easier to curb the crazy, edge of hunger, but I’m focusing on counting calories and adding in exercise. I have still binged, but I’ve learned to log the calories. It makes me much more aware and determined. I hope to take it for a short time. As soon as my blood sugar level drops, I hope to stop taking it. I’ll continue to control it with diet and exercise.
    The good new is that in the last two months I’ve lost weight and have been able to drastically cut down on the blood pressure meds. I still have to take them though.

Walking queen, years ago I saw a naturopath for one year. He basically cured me of something that the doctors couldn’t. He was my last resort. I had a rare, severe reaction to a drug I took.( anti malaria drug). I thought my life as I knew it was over. It took 8 months of following his regime to be cured. I ended up losing 40lbs. In a healthy way as a side effect!
    Now, I follow my own diet, counting calories, but cutting out most sugar, cooking pretty much all of my meals. I cook for two.
    I feel like for the first time in my life, I’ve found the big secret to weight loss. i.e. log everything you eat, even binges.
    I’m tweaking my diet as I progress. I need to add more protein. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten enough protein.
    I need to force myself to go to the gym. I don’t enjoy it like I used to years ago. I don’t have much energy and sometimes feel pretty weak afterwards. I tell myself it’s part of a plan. It helps lower blood sugar.
    So, in a nutshell, that’s why I’m here. I use mfp everyday. It helps.

• laurenmo279
    laurenmo279 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, although I posted a couple times a few years back. I'm focusing on long-term health, and am in recovery from various eating disorders. My weight had been creeping up for the past 10 years, and was around 230 for the past 6 years or so, but it got higher during the pandemic, up to over 260. Over the past year and a half, I've lost 45 pounds through eating WFPBNO (whole food plant based no oil). I saw that mentioned in some other posts, so that is really cool :) My weight loss has been going slowly, but it is also the only time in my life that I've been healthier without being obsessive about it, so I would much rather do it this way. It's nice to meet you all, and thank you for sharing your journeys!
  • LilRock25
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy - Congrats on cutting back on the meds! Your reason sounds a lot like mine. I'm starting with a new doctor in July & my old doctor was extremely pill happy. She would throw a pill at everything & that's not how I want to be, especially with the side effects. So I stopped seeing her. But I know what new doctor is going to say & I want to be able to show improvement, so I'm tracking & logging for 3 months. I know I won't be able to show my blood levels, but hopefully showing progress on the scale will get this doctor to have trust I can do it & give me another few months to keep trying & improving. We'll see!

@laurenmo279 - Welcome! I'm new here too. Go you for finding something that is working for you!

Y'all - I made some amazing lettuce wraps last night. They were a copy cat PF Chang's recipe & will absolutely be going in the regular dinner rotation. Super easy, only took about 20 minutes to make start to finish. SO GOOD!

My dishwasher isn't working right now & I just discovered a leak under my kitchen sink last night. Ugh. So this is going to make cooking (mainly cleanup) difficult until I can get that fixed. I can't wash dishes! I'm still trying to make sure I follow my diet plan, so going to the store this weekend and getting some disposable baking dishes so I can keep on my meal prep plan. I also ordered some bento boxes on Amazon to make me some little grab & go snack boxes. Some days I just want to snack instead of eat a full meal, so I'm looking forward to these.

Happy Friday y'all! I hope everyone has a good day & a great weekend. :)
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I've been back to logging all my food and doing well with it! I'm proud of myself. My goal for May is going to be continue to log my food, focus on water consumption and continue with my exercise routine.

@LilRock25
    It sounds like you are off to a great start. I find being honest with my logging, even on bad days, helps me to recognize patterns and choices I make. One thing I also find helpful is to leave myself notes in the food section. Lately these have been tracking what exercise I am doing. But I will also leave myself notes if there was a special occasion or I was stressed in case I go back and look through my diary.

I agree with you that it is about finding what works for you and sticking to it. I am not one for fad diets. I know many friends and family who have tried. As soon as they go off their diet they gain the weight back, become frustrated and gain even more. I feel it is often a vicious cycle.

I also agree about not wanting to take a pill for everything. I whole heartedly believe from my own personal experience that a lot of our health related issues can be resolved through diet and exercise.

I started my journey, this time around (I am a repeat MFPer), a little over 2 years ago. I needed to get back on track because I was diagnosed with T2. Since changing my diet and exercising I have managed to lose my T2 diagnosis and am no longer considered prediabetic! I do eat WFPBNO (whole food plant based no oil). It definitely is challenging to eat in restaurants or at parties. In those situations I make the best choices possible. I do have to say that I absolutely love it.

Congrats on your loss. That is fantastic!

@nsk1951
    I agree with the eating patterns evolving. I think back to when I started on MFP each time and to where I am now. There were times I struggled, especially when I switched from veggie to WFPBNO. Now I find it easy. The foods that used to tempt me are no longer desirable to me.

I don't know if this would work for you but I pick 3 recipes to make a week. We eat the left overs during the week but I try to use them in a more creative way. For example, last night I made roasted vegetables with beans. We had that with a side salad. Tonight we had it again. However this time I am made tortilla bowls, filled with lettuce and topping with the veggies and beans. I also made guacamole that we put on top and squeeze fresh lime on it. My husband and daughter can also add cheese to theirs.

I do wonder if there is a recipe converter online that will allow you to enter a recipe and it calculates the ingredients according to how many servings you would like.

My cousin used Noom and loved it. From what she described it is similar to MFP however there is a psychological aspect to it. She said the program helps you to identify triggers and methods to deal with that. I did look into it at one point but felt it wasn't right for me. I didn't want to pay for a program when I can achieve my goals here for free.

@Melwillbehealthy
    Hi!!! So glad you popped in and said hi. I remember you!!!!
    I hope you are doing well. Please pop back in from time to time and let us know how you are doing.
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. See my response to LilRock above. I've been working on myself for the past 2 years due to my T2 diagnosis. I understand your feelings towards the gym, I was there myself. My suggestion would be start slow and ease your self into it. When I restarted working out at home that is what I did. Before I knew it I was in a routine, felt a lot better and absolutely love it.

@mnwalkingqueen
    I did get those 7 lbs back down plus one extra one!!!! I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped on the scale this morning. Thank you for the support!
    Sorry you had to go back to medication and it didn't work. I personally have not used a homeopathic doctor. But I know a few people who have tried them and liked them. I am sorry but I don't have additional information for you on that.

@laurenmo279
    Welcome! That was me! I eat WFPBNO and absolutely love it! I was vegetarian before this. What made you choose this way of eating? Have you read any books on it? I am currently reading How Not to Die and will be reading How Not to Diet next. I've also read Mastering Diabetes and plan on rereading that too.
    My weight came off fast in the beginning. The second year it was much slower. I've been stalled weight wise for a while but my body is definitely changing.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just curious. What is WFPBNO? I’ve changed my eating habits, and it’s working but I can’t say it’s a specific type of diet. I’m trying to eat healthier. Not sure what to call it. I’ve cut out most sugar, and some carbs, but ate home baked goods recently that a friend gave me. I will indulge a little if I want to. I hope that’s ok as I’m recently diabetic. I’m learning about diabetes in the next couple of weeks. I think that will help me a lot.
    Also, how do you reference posters on here? I honestly don’t know how to respond to specific people.
    Good news is that I lost a little on the scale today. It’s been about 5 days since I lost.
    Bad news, I’m going to a party that my x husband is throwing today. I never got a chance to buy any new clothes to wear. I wish I had something nice and new. Everyone will dress really well. It’s a swanky venue.
    Still struggling with adding in exercise. I’ve always got an excuse. Good news is that I’m starting to feel less tired. Taking less meds is finally making a difference. I felt like a zombie before.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Check-in ... My weight this morning was down a pound over last week's average ... which means that the pound i was up last week has gone away. It feels so good to have normal sized feet and be able to wear my shoes without so much discomfort. I really do need to stay away from salty foods ... and like all food restrictions, sometimes I just forget why it is restricted and have some.

It's nice to see more posters on this thread. No one is asking for advice, so I won't give any! But I will ask ... @LilRock25 ... Can you tell me more about your Lettuce Wraps? ....

Have a happy week everyone.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy ... OOPs .. I posted that no ones advice but now realize you did ... You wanted to know what WFPBNO is ... that's an acronym for an eating protocol .. Whole Food Plant-Based, No Oil ... it limits/excludes animal products and processed foods as well as no oils.

There are books on it.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Thanks
  • nsk1951
    Options
    May 1 ... Happy May Day ! Anyone still celebrate it? Today's weather isn't so good for the way we used to celebrate it when I was a little girl ... usually out in nature somewhere with music and dance and flowers to pick from the early meadows and garlands of blossom wreaths to make for our hair. That was, of course, in a warmer climate than where I live now.

I love new month starts! Well, actually, new weeks, new days ... they all present an opportunity to do better than the one before in reaching my goals. But the new month also gives a longer range of time in which to plan for and the monitor results. And also to reflect back on the previous longer-term yet still short enough not to tire me ... In April, I had hoped to lose 4 pounds .. so that was my 'plan' ... and like all good plans .. if you don't stick to the things that were part of it, the plan goes astray. I lost 1 pound.

In May, I am not setting a lost pounds number. Instead, I am refocusing on my habits. There is definitely room for tightening them up and incorporating some new twists to my daily routine .. like the new occupational and physical therapy routines! But also to eradicate some old nemesis-type habits that have stealthily crept back into my mindless routines.

Good Luck everyone this May. It's one of my favorite months of the year!
  • LilRock25
    Options
    Happy May everyone!

Monday's WI was what I expected, even though disappointing. No movement on the scale. But, that's usually how my body does things. A big week at first & then nothing. I also know I ate a little more over the weekend than I should have. I'm not upset with it.

@nsk1951 those lettuce wraps are so easy! I added some chopped water chestnuts for the added crunch. I followed this recipe: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/pf-changs-lettuce-wraps/

I desperately need to go grocery shopping but don't see that happening tonight. We're super short staffed at work today & it is kicking my butt. We're usually a team of 6 and I have 3 people out today & it's Monday & the first day of rent week (I'm a property manager). So it's been nutso.

I'm hoping I can also find the motivation to take a couple walks this week. I definitely have let that slack off here recently. I'll be traveling out of town for a concert this weekend & really looking forward to it, but know there will be lots of temptations.
  • JNettie73
    Options

May Goals:
    • Weighing and logging food
    • Drink more water
    • Take my vitamins daily
    5 days in and I am doing really well. Today I had the craziest munchies. No matter what I ate I didn't feel satiated. I dislike days where I feel like this. All I can do is chalk it up to one of those days and move on. One less than stellar day won't destroy me.

@Melwillbehealthy
    WFPBNO is whole food plant based no oil. It is basically a vegan based diet (plant-based) that eliminates processed foods and added oil. I get my fats from nuts, seeds and avocado.

I am sorry to hear you were diagnosed with diabetes as well. I restarted my journey 2 years ago because of receiving my diagnosis. What I do goes completely against what most are advised to do for diabetes. I am 2 years in and and am no longer considered diabetic.

To reference a person on here you type the @ symbol then immediately type their name - no space between the symbol and first letter of their name. As you type you will see a drop down menu with suggestions. If you see the person's name you can click it, if not you can just type out their name in full.

The thing that helped me the most was getting into an exercise routine. Like you I felt tired a lot. The first week or so was the most challenging. Before I knew it I started having more energy, was sleeping better and came to the conclusion that I love to exercise. My advice would be start small then add on more time or more intensity. You will get there!

I hope you have/ had fun at the party!

@nsk1951
    My friend and I had a similar conversation about shoe size the other day. He had asked if I noticed my foot size shrunk as I lost weight, that was his experience. That was also my experience, I went down 1/2 size. Foot size isn't something I necessarily think of changing with weight loss but it certainly does happen! I am happy to hear your shoes are fitting more comfortably.

My May goals are similar to yours. To refocus on my habits. I am not going to put a lot of emphasis on getting the scale to move. If it happens I will be thrilled. If it doesn't then I take comfort in knowing I am making the changes I can and it will move when ready.

@LilRock25
    I hope you have a great time at the concert. What are you going to see?
    We are headed into the city this weekend for a birthday celebration for my husband. We are going to see The Blue Man Group