Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    @Lauriek70, wow. I'm sorry to hear that! It's good to know that (at least, it sounds like) you love God, as did your dad. I pray that your family can hang in there and live the life that you think he'd want to see you live until you meet again. :flowerforyou:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Laurie - my heart goes out to you for your great loss! Losing my father tore me apart - tears spring to my eyes now. {{{{{{{ big hugs Laurie }}}}}}}}}
    my dad is always around me now - we were and always are close - when I need advise I pray to him, and I get my answer in good time. :'(
    That is a beautiful arrangement from your friends at the Deli - I see they've taken care of you food wise too!

@Barb - wonderful weight loss - you must actually feel lighter, huh? Say what is a King Cake again - some one explained last year, but I've forgotten!!! Doh!

@Morgori - yay for chocolates. I bought Dove chocolates a few months ago and never turned back. Why did I wait so long. One of them is so much better than a handful of lesser stuff.

AFM - thanks everyone for the cheery words - my step-mom (her name is Kathryn) is doing better and I got my MRI at 6 pm - this is HILARIOUS!!! The tech gave me a bulb with a button on the end and said this is your call button. Just press this if you get scared or need anything, OK??.... I said OK....she said OK..I'm gonna start.. and in the tube I go and the banging and clanging noises start (its to take 1/2/ hour) so 15 minutes in I feel really bad pain in my left elbow and I try to move it and its stuck, so I try to wiggle, no go, wiggle, no go. So the heat is building up and elbow is getting really hot and hurting, so finally I hit the call button - well it just falls inside the bulb - and the tech never talks or stops the machine - by now I'm squeezing the bulb and nothing happens so I pull a little bit on the bulbs cord and it pulls right up to me and is not connected to anything. WHAT THE HECK KIND OF CALL BUTTON IS THIS I'm thinking so I wait til the scan is done and the tech brings me out of the tube and I show her. She 20 kinds of apologetic but she's also 20 kinds of "your my last client and I just want to get home ma'am" so "so lets get over this call light and go" so that was it! We left I'll never know what was up......

Good quality hospital care. Medicare money at work!
  • zcb94
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @RobinsEgg, oh my gosh! I hear you. If I shared my hospital horror stories, especially my recent ones, I'd probably derail his thread beyond any hope of return. That is kinda funny, though.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @LaurieK Please accept my deep sympathy in the loss of your father. I am so sorry for you loss.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Laurie ~I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. It is never easy to lose a parent, there are no words. :cry: He is at peace now, no longer sick and no longer in pain. Sending you hugs and keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. :heart: :heart: :heart:

@Robin ~Wow, what a weird encounter with the MRI machine. You know I work for one of the top radiology facilities in the country—I’ve been in one of our machines on several occasions, I don’t even recall a call button but the technologists talk to our patients into headphones throughout the procedures (even giving patients a break if they need it). Patient’s get to listen to their favorite music or radio stations on Pandora too (helps to muffle the sounds of the machine and keep patient's somewhat relaxed--I've fallen asleep before :lol:).

@Niki ~Great goal, its exactly what I’m striving for as well—overall health and happiness. I think overall health (i.e. good labs) far exceeds the number on the scale.

@Tom ~National Chocolate Day?! I did have a couple pieces from a Toblerone yesterday. :yum:

@Barb ~Hooray for your 2.5# loss!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Lauriek70 ~I am so sorry for your loss.
    This poem is one I received from a friend when my dad passed away, and I'd like to share it with you ...

When tomorrow starts without me, and I'm not here to see, If the sun should rise and find your eyes, filled with tears for me.
    I wish so much you wouldn't cry, they way you did today, while thinking of the many things, we didn't get to say.
    I know how much you love me, as much as I love you, and each time you think of me, I know you'll miss me too.
    When tomorrow starts without me, don't think we're far apart, for every time you think of me, I'm right there in your heart.

Memory Eternal for your father, may he rest lightly in the palms of God's hands.
    Niki
  • squeeksbloss
    squeeksbloss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wish is to have more support. To have my friends and family know and feel what I am going through.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Wednesday Wishing: I've been encouraged to join the Lenten Challenge on here (in the Challenge section) as an introduction to the idea of Lent itself, which I've never tried before despite my religious background. After much reflection, I've recognized the importance of giving up negativity and instead using that energy to spend more time in quiet praise and worship for the whole season. My wish, therefore, is that I do my best on this challenge, with God's help.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @Laurie I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your mother will have peace. He is in a better place but it is so lonely for those who are left behind.
    Kaye
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    :) Happy Birthday Morgori <3
    Laurie70~Sorry for your loss <3
    Nikion901~ What a Beautiful thoughtful poem :)
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @Morgori ~ happy birthday to youu, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Tom, happy birthday to you
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Do I understand that we wish on Wednesdays? I wish I knew how to cook. I mean, I know how to cook - but all the things I'm good at making are no longer in the plan. I understand the mechanics of how to cook, but my expertise is in things like pasta, burgers, and dessert. I never roasted a vegetable in my life. I have no idea how to season a turkey cutlet so that it tastes like something. I'm also having a really hard time adjusting to cooking for just one person. Everything I make ends up lasting three or four days - and none of it has really been good enough to deserve an encore.

Anybody have a cookbook suggestion? I look at pinterest once in a while, but I'm too easily distracted by the recipes that start with a stick of butter and a dollop of heavy cream. I know how to dollop!

I'm sharing all this with my tongue sort of in my cheek, but really - I'm not enjoying food as I once did because I don't know how to prepare it correctly. So, I sit down with my mediocre dinner, gnaw on the dry meat, stab at the plain veggies, and I'm disappointed, I don't really want to eat it, but it is my only choice at the time. I can't afford to throw food away. I see a day not far off, when I utter a string of expletives and break out the cheeseburger hamburger helper. It won't be pretty.

• Nikion901
    edited February 2016
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    Do I understand that we wish on Wednesdays? I wish I knew how to cook. ........ So, I sit down with my mediocre dinner, gnaw on the dry meat, stab at the plain veggies, and I'm disappointed, I don't really want to eat it, but it is my only choice at the time. I can't afford to throw food away. I see a day not far off, when I utter a string of expletives and break out the cheeseburger hamburger helper. It won't be pretty.

Well ... a kindred soul! Hello Sista!! ... I cook for one as well ... and have made some progress on the cooking bit. May not be to your liking, but it works for me. My tips are:
    1 - settle on your breakfast go-to's (mine are different variations of porridges that I nuke in the microwave)
    2 - learn to make soups ... in a 2-quart (3 max) pot instead of a 6-8 quart soup pot ... save that big pot for company dinners and boiling lasagna noodles! For me, I found that I can whip up a flavorful soup in about an hour. I like soup for lunch, and eat about 2 cups as a meal. Doesn't last too long, can be well sealed and put into the coldest part of the fridge to hold over, heats up quickly in the microwave, is handy if I don't want to cook dinner and just need to add something else to go with it (like a piece of toast, or a glass of milk, or some fruit for dessert).
    3 - learn to cook in one pot - for me that's my wok or my cast iron skillet, or my 2 quart saucepan that I use for soups. Yes, I cook a lot of stir-fry type of food, even my detested chicken breast comes out tasty when I cut it into thin ribbons and marinate it, than cook it real quick in that wok or skillet. (of course with lots of veggies!)

Here are some web sites you might want to take a peek at ... some of them talk about cook books. ...

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2011/08/alone-in-the-kitchen-7-unusual-lessons-on-cooking-for-one/
    http://cookingforone.ashleylojko.com
    http://greatist.com/health/healthy-single-serving-meals
    http://www.pbs.org/food/theme/cooking-for-one/

.... really, just put cooking for one into your Google search box and you will get enough to read and look at to make you feel not hungry at all.

PS ... do a search on You Tube as well ... it's amazing what I have learned from watching cook segments on there.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    Do I understand that we wish on Wednesdays? I wish I knew how to cook. I mean, I know how to cook - but all the things I'm good at making are no longer in the plan. I understand the mechanics of how to cook, but my expertise is in things like pasta, burgers, and dessert. I never roasted a vegetable in my life. I have no idea how to season a turkey cutlet so that it tastes like something. I'm also having a really hard time adjusting to cooking for just one person. Everything I make ends up lasting three or four days - and none of it has really been good enough to deserve an encore.

Anybody have a cookbook suggestion? I look at pinterest once in a while, but I'm too easily distracted by the recipes that start with a stick of butter and a dollop of heavy cream. I know how to dollop!

I'm sharing all this with my tongue sort of in my cheek, but really - I'm not enjoying food as I once did because I don't know how to prepare it correctly. So, I sit down with my mediocre dinner, gnaw on the dry meat, stab at the plain veggies, and I'm disappointed, I don't really want to eat it, but it is my only choice at the time. I can't afford to throw food away. I see a day not far off, when I utter a string of expletives and break out the cheeseburger hamburger helper. It won't be pretty.

I resolved to the fact a long time ago, that if I wanted to eat healthy and lose weight I was going to have to cook for myself. I cook for one regularly. A couple of things I do is I try and find recipes that only make around 4 servings each and stuff that will freeze well. I cook ahead, too, that way little time is spent in the kitchen. I also have an Instant Pot (multi-function cooker) that I use a lot, saves a ton of time. You can find recipes here on MFP, also I make a ton of stuff from http://www.skinnytaste.com/ (this week I made her mini turkey meatball vegetable soup--its fantastic, I had 4 this week and the other 3 are in the freezer). She has an excellent cookbook out too, can find it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385345623/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=72903494653&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=622065806378681342&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_31pxyfo9hb_b

@Niki has some great ideas, too. I make a lot of soup and freeze, and I make a lot of one-pot meals. Its just easy. I think I end up cooking 3 weeks out of the month, then I get a week or two off and eat from the freezer. I also batch cook sides (except veggies)--for example, I make a huge pot of brown rice in my Instant Pot (takes 20 minutes) and then freeze in individual servings. That combined with a dish in the freezer and nuking some veg, you've got yourself a quick meal!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Laurie = continued prayers ..... let us know when you can, of course, how you and your mother are faring.

@cooking for one - I'm also in that boat and it is doable - just keep trying and don't get ahead of yourself buying supplies. Funny as I was reading Kah reply I was eating my salad, a caesar with sliced chicken breast, so tasty, from my freezer - I like to soak my chicken in water with some salt for a few hours then I toss away the salt water before I cook the breasts on a grill. Most people buy the kosher salt to do that, but its no crime to use table salt. I use about 4 Tablespoons salt to 1 breast to 2 cups water and cover the breast with it. Adjust any way you want, its you that ends up eating it. Sometimes I throw in basil. Good luck!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the suggestions. I wish I like soup more, because it would be easy to make, but I've never been a huge fan. Campbells Cream of Mushroom is my go to when I'm sick and that's about it. I have one book that has some interesting recipes, but they are all family size and require lots of stuff I'm supposed to be able to find in my pantry. Apparently my pantry is quite lacking. I'll get this figured out one way or another. I'm hoping to inherit a freezer when my in-laws move and that will give me a little more storage space for leftovers.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Niki-thank you for the poem, it is very beautiful.

Morgori- Happy Birthday. Best wishes for the years ahead. Hope you had a great day.

Thank you for the expressions of sympathy. I am doing okay. Tomorrow will be the long day with two viewings. I hope to get to the gym in the morning but I sprained my ankle today coming out of the nursing home. Mom and I went to pick up my Dad's clothes and coming out of the house my foot found the side of the door mat. My foot rolled, so it was a trip to the chiropractor. He treated it and told me to rest it. No gym tonight which really bummed me out. I was looking forward to a good workout.

My wish is that I can workout tomorrow morning with my trainer and my foot cooperates. She already knows about the ankle/foot and is creating a plan to work around it. I also hope that tomorrow goes well and I can hold it together.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie-- I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Sending you hugs and strength to get through this rough time.

@morgori-- Happy birthday!

@robin-- what a terrible MRI experience! My experience was exactly what kelley described.

AFM-- we are back in deep freeze mode here in Chicago, so no walk for gunner today. Work has been stressful. There was a big blow up within one curriculum team last Friday and the bad feelings have been festering. My boss hasn't addressed it, so I met with her today to discuss some department concerns. She cried b/c she recognizes the issues but is uncertain how to address them. It's all very frustrating and creating much angst amongst our English department.

I made my protein goal and stayed under calorie goal. Tomorrow I will finally have an opportunity to hit the gym again.

I accepted an invite to go out in the city this Saturday; however, now I'm regretting the decision. The people who planned the outing get really touchy when others back out of plans. It's a huge group, so my attendance will not make or break the plans-- it's just meeting at a bar and pub-crawling. Perhaps my motivation to join the fun will return over the next couple of days.

Grading Goals:
    1. 38/41 BNW journals
    2. x/10 AP analysis activities
    3. 20/41 AP quizzes

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 9/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    52k done/ 948k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- meeting
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Not much going on around here. We have stomach flu marching its way through the inhabitants. My turn came last night. Upside it got me out of driving don to the airport as he is on his way to alaska and back to work. I am swapping out boys as hubby will be home at the end of the week. I was doing well with protien and then food kinda spiraled out of control for a few days following superbowl but back at it now or when I can safely eat again.
    @tom I hope you have a very happy bday :)
    @laurie I am so sorry to hear about your dad. No matter how prepared we are or how much we logically know its a blessing it is still so very hard. My thoughts will be with you and your mom while you are going through this. May you find comfort and solace with your family and know we are all here in the background if you need us.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Thursday Truth: As I recall, my protein has either been fairly low or just barely on target. Oh dear.