Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @pneschich - I second the great words of @MermaidPrincessRach and @birgitkwood. You are doing everything you can right now, and I promise you IT IS ENOUGH. It's not what you want to do, and may not be what you need to do, but all we can ever ask of anyone -- or ourselves -- is to do everything we can do. And I believe that you are. I bet your family and employees believe that, too. Right now things are overwhelming, but they will get better: you will start to heal, both physically and psychologically. Until that time, try to give yourself a break. Acknowledging that you need to be kind to yourself right now doesn't mean that you are just going to keep eating forever and never get on top of your diet and exercise. It's human nature to be so much harder on ourselves than we would be on others, but try to think of it this way: if your wife were in your situation, what would you think? Would you feel like she was failing? Would you think less of her? Try to give yourself some of the same leeway.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Monday checkin: I met my goal from last year!! I was got below 200 and stayed there, barely. On the first I was 200.2 when I work up...so... I waited another hour went to the bathroom again (made sure #2 happened) and then I weighed 199.7 so that is the weight I started with this week.

Does anyone else play these meaningless games with the scale? They really are meaningless, since I weigh in every day...and yet there are days that I can't help myself and I play them anyways.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, I'm not even going to try to read the 400 pages I've missed since I last checked in on this thread, I'm just going to stick my nose back in and say hi, happy new year, and YOU GOT THIS!

Last year at this time I was checking in with well over 100 pounds to lose, as of this morning, I am down 45 pounds. There was a point where I had lost a bit more, but the holidays happened and I'm back on the bandwagon now. After a major reset last Monday, I lost 3 pounds last week. Now the key will be to keep it going.

I am trying to think of some kind of goal to put on the horizon that will keep me motivated - maybe something in April or May that I could work towards. I've done a couple of half marathons and a 10k (walking, not running) but I was trying to think of something that would be more enriching, or meaningful, than getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sharon
  • RefocusedPowerhouse
    Options
    Hi all, day 2 new to FP and yes I wanna hit the ground running. I would like to make some friends and join the journey with you all. I have several pounds to lose but I am trying to be patient, gentle, kind, and realistic with myself. Already, my thinking and attitude about this journey are blossoming...(I'm journaling, keeping this food/exercise diary, and feeling really good about what I'm doing). I am naturally outgoing and supportive I look forward to learning from and growing with everyone. If you can share any tips, routines, affirmations, or anything please add me as a friend.
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    @trinati2001 - You are sooo not alone with the scale thing! Just a week ago I posted "I am fighting so much with my scale right now." Heh. I know I'm supposed to weigh myself just once a week, at the same time of day and wearing (roughly) the same clothing, but too often I feel it calling to me and I can't help myself...sometimes multiple times a day. Apparently I tend to be almost 2 pounds lighter in the mornings, so I really need to stop checking my weight then (it totally messes with my head).

@celtikgirl - Congrats on the 3 pounds!! The goal thing is tough...everything I can think of comes down more on the "reward" side of things. Maybe try to build on the run/walk idea by finding a charity run? Or one of those obstacle course thingies where it's more about how muddy you can get than how quickly you can finish? :) Or a run in a place you've always wanted to visit?

@RefocusedPowerhouse - Being "patient, gentle, kind, and realistic" with yourself definitely sounds like the way to go. :smiley: I don't know that I'm far enough along to have any tips, etc., to share, but I'm willing to be supportive! Lately I've been leaning on this site a lot, and in particular this thread. I've encountered great people all over MFP, but some folks are just maintaining (or are here for the fitness aspect, or only have a few pounds to lose, etc.) and it's nice to have a place to interact with others who are roughly in the same boat.
  • suzannesb139
    suzannesb139 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A new day on a(nother) new journey for health. I want this to be my last "new day." I don't want to give up again. Looking for friends who know the struggle to inspire, motivate, and if needed kick my virtual behind.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newlings!! Keep coming back and you will get great support and motivation on this thread.

@Misnomer971 --who told you you are only supposed to weigh in once a week? Research actually supports daily weighing, so if it helps you to check your weight every morning, don't let some arbitrary rule about weighing weekly stop you. :)

@sharon--Welcome back!!! I was wondering what had happened to you and several of the other "regulars" from this thread. It's great to hear that you are still working toward your goal. I agree with misnomers suggestions--especially the obstacle runs. I've done several--some that are just for fun, like the Dirty Girl Mud Run, and some that were very physically challenging like Run For Your Lives (zombie themed) and Rugged Maniac. Some of my friends and I are considering doing the Ragnar Race series Madison to Chicago this summer. It would require I run 3 legs--usually ranging from 3 to 6 miles. I've only ever run 5 miles, but I know if I train I could get up to 6--still scary though.

@trinati2001 --congrats on meeting your goal!!! I used to play all of those scale games. What really desensitized me to the scale was weighing myself every single morning and only recording my new weight here on MFP if it was lower than my previous low. If it was up a couple of lbs., I just chalked that up to normal fluctuations, but if it was down, I recorded it as a loss. That method really helped me to see that regardless of the daily ups and downs, my overall trend was downward.

Monday Check in:
    I've started this week on a good note. Yesterday I went to the gym despite being tired and a little headache-y from a long day out Saturday pub crawling with some friends who are moving out of the state in a few weeks. I also made good food choices both yesterday and today and have logged everything.

While I was at the gym, I noticed there is a sign-up for a fitness group with the personal trainer. Starting Jan. 25th, it will meet every Wed. for 6 weeks and includes a boot camp style workout each week. It also requires we track our food and commit to 2 additional hours of exercise/week. It costs $50 which isn't much, but it's probably all stuff I can already do on my own--I just need to do it.

So I've made a deal with myself--if I keep myself accountable with making good food choices, logging, and exercising over the next 3 weeks, I can save the $50 to spend on myself. If, however, I've made no progress losing either pounds or inches, I will spend the money to join the group.

Grading Goals:
    1. 19/40 AP essays
    2. write Japan essay

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + ab video
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner + ab video
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner + ab video
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym + ab video
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound - yes, I do the same thing with the scale. I weigh whenever I feel like it - sometimes several times a day, and sometimes a few days or even a week go by. But I only record it on MFP when there's a loss. So my progress chart doesn't show any ups and downs - only downs, but sometimes there's a much longer gap between losses than others. But the overall trend is down, and that's all that matters to me.

@Misnomer971 - in the beginning I tried to weigh only once a week, on the same day and time, etc. I'm not even sure now why I ever thought that was important. I found myself getting all sorts of anxious when weighing day took too long to arrive. I'd "cheat," and weigh myself early cuz I couldn't stand the suspense, and then feel guilty about "cheating" and having "no control." I was doing this crazy head tango, making myself nuts over to WEIGHING! Not even about food or exercise. And finally I realized that IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW OFTEN I WEIGH! That was such a liberating realization for me. I've been so much more relaxed about the entire process since then.

Having said all of that, I am here to confess that I totally fell off the wagon tonight. I am a binge eater, and especially when I'm home alone and bored. Tonite is one of those eves - my husband is out doing a gig (he's a musician) and I started obsessively grazing thru the house. This is really the first time I've done this, to this extent, since starting my health journey last April. I used to do these binges all the time - that's how I got so fat. But I haven't done it in nearly 10mos. I'm scared! Scared that I fell off the wagon so badly and that it may be the beginning of the slippery slope back to weight gain. Don't want to go there!!! Not the least of it because I now have some additional health problems and if I gain the weight back I will quite certainly die. It's that serious.

Thanks for being there, my friends, and allowing me to make this confession and express my worries in a public forum. Tomorrow will be a better day, I'm sure.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @birgitkwood I also binged last night. I've come to realize that when I get "starving" and can't stop eating it's usually because I'm tired. Usually when it happens I find that caffeine, a walk or a nap is the only way to get it to stop (besides eating everything I can until I go to bed). Yesterday turned out to be a perfect storm; I had to leave work early to run an errand. Then instead of working from home I started eating and I ate almost 1500 calories (I didn't track it but it could have been upwards of 2000) then I sat down in front of the fire and all of the sudden had the realization that I was tired! I felt like cr@p...I know better than to give in and binge eat, I should have realized what the cause was. So I blew off work and took an hour nap. Once I was a little more clear headed I got back to life (pick up kids, make dinner, etc) and I fessed up to my husband and skipped dinner. Which is 100% better than old me. A year ago I was have eaten dinner to hide the fact that I had binged earlier that day. So even though I slipped and fell yesterday I'm still counting it as a win because the hardest thing for me is to admit to my husband that I ate before the family and therefore I'm not eating with the family.
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound -- I'm pretty sure there is research to support just about anything... ;) But you're right that I shouldn't have presented it as "this way is right/wrong": what I meant is that it's best for me to weigh weekly. Both my therapist and the hospital-run program I just finished agree that weekly is best, because our weight naturally fluctuates so much day-to-day. Daily weighing doesn't help me at all, and the point I was trying to make is that sometimes I can't seem to keep from weighing myself frequently even though I know it's best (for me) to do it just weekly. I apologize for not being more clear. :)

I think your "join the group or do the work and keep the $50" deal sounds awesome!

@birgitkwood -- I totally understand your fear. I'm so sorry! I think it's awesome that you confessed to us, though. That's a great sign. And today WILL be better. ♥

What does your husband play? Is he also trying to lose any weight? I work as a proposal manager but the rest of the time I'm a jazz singer, and music is a tough avocation to have while trying to lose weight. Especially with jazz, almost all of the venues have food/drink minimums and you always feel like you want to support the place and the options are always yummy but never healthy. Even just at jam sessions there's often the feeling of needing to get at least a beer and some fries. Most places will let you pay the minimum without actually ordering anything, but the desire to eat socially can be really strong. It's a big area where I need to work on my willpower, because not going to shows isn't an option but I also can't keep eating/drinking like it's a day off whenever I'm out.

@trinati2001 -- YAY for telling your husband! That's definitely a win. :smiley:

As for me, I've had a few days of increased hunger (almost definitely hormonal...stupid perimenopause) and yesterday I totally accidentally packed an extra afternoon snack with my lunch. So, of course, I ate it. Which put me 200+ calories over where I'd normally be at dinnertime, which meant that my usual dinner choices would exceed my daily allotment. I'd exceeded it on Sunday and I was worried about that becoming a trend, so I just had cereal and a banana for dinner and some sugar-free pudding for dessert. I still wound up 20 calories in the red, but that's better than the 100+ calories I was over the day before. Today my appetite seems to be back to normal (knock on wood!), but it's been frustrating to feel like my body is working against me. This weight loss stuff is hard enough and perimenopause is already maddening in other ways; I really don't need extra hunger!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @Misnomer971 - my husband plays the tuba in several local community bands. Not as a professional (although he is quite good!), but just for fun. No, he's never had a weight problem. He had a very serious stroke in 2015, and gained some weight after that (we both did!), but it's been coming off again as he's been regaining his overall health. He's an amazing guy, on so many levels.

I'm doing far, far better today! Had some time to reflect on why I went off the rails so badly yesterday. I hadn't slept well the night before because my left foot was screaming that night with some sort of weird nerve pain. When I woke up yesterday morning, that foot was still hurting badly, and I decided to skip the gym, treadmill, etc. That set me up for a bad day all around. Exercise and proper food choices are closely intertwined for me - can't seem to do one without the other. Plus, I was pi$$ed off because my "good" foot was giving me trouble. (The other foot, my right one, has been giving me trouble for years.) I actually felt BETRAYED by my left foot - lol.

So I took some good meds to stop the pain, and they mostly worked. Slept well last night and when I woke up the foot was only twinging, not screaming. Went to the gym this morning and used the recumbent exercise bike, rather than the treadmill, so I got my exercise in. Walking around the office every hour to keep using my foot. And I'm wearing shoes today - so I've got THAT going for me!

So today I'm making good food choices, and I feel back on track. Plus, I noticed a nice NSV today while using that recumbent stationary bike: the handholds on those things are near the seat, next to your hips. The first time I used it, when I started my weight loss journey, I had to s q u e e z e my thumbs in there between the handle and my wayward flesh. Today I looked down and noticed that there's a good 2 inches on both sides between my sweatpanted hips and my thumbs. So clearly my 97 acre butt has decreased significantly. That felt GREAT!

Have a great day, Everyone - and thanks for being here!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,865 Member
    Options
    Happy National Milk Day
    Milk was delivered in bottles for the first time on January 11th in 1878. :scream: Milk - it does a body good! Got milk? (and cookies?)

I have skim milk in my coffee this morning :smile: just like I use to do before I started my DASH plan. I know I should go for a coffee stroll, but I am so tired. I stayed up wwwwaaaayyyy past my bedtime. Today is day1 of phase two on my DASH plan. Today I get to add back fruit, ff milk, and whole grains. :smile:
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    In the past hour, two co-workers have randomly mentioned that I look smaller. What a great mid-week boost, and some nice motivation heading into the weekend! :smiley:

Of course it would be National Milk Day when I didn't have cereal for breakfast! LOL! I've been having a bowl of cereal with 1% milk every day, but this morning I had a fasting blood draw so I skipped the Cheerios and just had a (way more portable) protein shake after I went to the lab.

@MermaidPrincessRach - I remember when I started transitioning back to "real" food and could have fruit and milk again after 7 weeks without either....I was so excited!
  • ashbuch1980
    ashbuch1980 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So frustrated with the battle...
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I survived the sickness and I am almost 100% again. The baby is well again, too! Sucks that it happened right as I was getting back into the swing of things after a break for the holidays, but it did and now I have to get myself back on track AGAIN. This is the hardest part. Especially with TOM around the corner. Blah.

Nobody said this would be easy.
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm still hanging in here, although I haven't posted in a while. The past month was extremely hectic with me moving into my new apartment, then Christmas, then my mom visiting for two weeks. I ate out at restaurants everyday that mom was here so I stopped tracking for her visit, though I tried making the best choices I could, at least in most cases.

I pretty much just maintained my weight over the last month, or maybe lost 2-3 lbs at the most, so I'm back on the wagon now and I want to achieve more progress in time for my birthday in May. I'm planning to go visit mom and my grandma around the time of my birthday, since it falls on mother's day this year. :) I want to look and feel fantastic and accomplished for that May trip, so I'm extra motivated to make it happen! I'm hoping to get back to losing around 10 lbs per month but since I'm unable to walk outside during wintertime the weight loss might be a bit slow for a while here. I'm getting pretty close to the 100 lb lost mark and I'm eager to see that milestone soon :)

Some other exciting news is that I'm starting back at college at the end of the month, so at least that will have me running around a little bit! 2017 is going to be all about self-improvement for me and I think this college program will be a good kick start in the right direction.

Wishing you all the best in the new year! <3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry -- Welcome back!! IMHO maintaining over the holidays and other times of stress like moving and family visits is a huge win--way to go!! That's also very exciting about college--do you have a specific program/degree in mind, or are you going for gen ed courses?

@FeraFilia --glad to hear you and the baby are both doing better. It's so hard to stick to plan when sick or injured, but you will get right back on track in no time. :smile:

@ashbuch1980 --welcome! This is a great place to air your frustrations and get support.

@Misnomer971 --that's a great NSV that people are noticing your efforts. :smiley:

@rach-- I don't drink milk, but I did make some mashed sweet potatoes with a touch of heavy cream, so I guess that will have to count as my "celebration"--LOL.

@birgitkwood --Glad to hear you worked past the bad day smoothly. Also, what an awesome NSV! I remember when I had to move my seat up in the car b/c my butt had gotten small enough that I was straining to reach the gas pedal. That was a GOOD day! :smiley: Oh, and I also have days go by at times when I actually forget to weigh myself--this is something I would have never dreamed could happen when I started b/c I was so very scale-obsessed. It's a great feeling--very freeing.

Wednesday Wish:
    My wish is to simply stay on track with nutrition as I have so far this week. Also, my right Achilles was hurting, and now that I've gotten new runners and been diligent about wearing orthotics in my work shoes, the pain has subsided, so I'm hopeful that I've dodged that bullet.

Weather has not cooperated the past couple of days, so I've been unable to walk gunner. Also, I skipped the gym yesterday to visit a lifelong friend. His cousin passed away from cancer last week and his husband is out of town for work, so we just hung out. I even managed to stay within my calorie goal despite the fact that we ordered pizza. Small victory.

Grading Goals:
    1. 39/40 AP essays
    2. write Japan essay

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + ab video DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + ab video
    Thurs-- rest day (blood donation)
    Fri-- walk gunner + ab video
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym + ab video
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,865 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry You went out to eat everyday for two weeks and still lost a couple?! That's Unbelievable! I always gain when I eat out.
    I'm happy you got yourself an apartment. How do you like it so far? Does it have any amenities like a pool or a gym?
    The big ONE OH OH! And you've gotten there so fast! You are my inspiration!!
    It's exciting to go back to college! What's your major?
    I hope you come back and post more frequently now that the holidays are over, but you'll probably be pretty busy doing homework and burning calories! I'm so happy for you!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well, it just got really real. The hospital called for money. Ouch! A week from Monday. Life changes forever.
    Life is still a bit overwhelming, the boot is still on and I'm uncertain if it is helping. MIL finished round one of radiation and has an appointment with an oncology on/gym today. She is resisting exercise, not good.
    I'm ready I know. The lack of exercise is making me feel awful. The holiday weight makes me feel awful too. I don't want the "awful" to normalize and be the new ok. Because, well, it's awful and I deserve better than awful. I'm not a risk taker, it's not me and it's ok. This is by far the biggest unknown leap ever. I'm still a bit nervous. I've done everything at work to be ready, home: not a clue where to start or what to do. Not scared but something else. I can't quite understand.
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Returning newbie here. I recognize some people (*waves* @skinnyjeanzbound ) tho they may not remember me, understandably.

I last regularly check in during 2014 where I was doing well until a summer vacation threw me of track and I never got back on track. I gained 20 pounds in the last part of that year. Somehow, I managed to maintain at that weight for the entire year of 2015 which brings me to a devastating 2016 where I gained 30 pounds. Overall, I'm up 50 pounds in the past two and a half years!!

The pain (2 herniated discs) and difficultly breathing after climbing the stairs to my new second floor apartment have me beyond frustrated and quite frankly scared!! It's time for action!

I started last week and I'm down 2.2 pounds! I'm very excited with this as I'd set myself up with a plan to lose 1.5 per week.

I know how important it is for me to check in here for support, so if I go missing feel free to give me a kick in the butt to check back in! :D

I'm glad and excited to be back!