Smoking Neighbours

Options

Replies

• baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in this situation. That must be so frustrating. Personally, I'd talk to him, or keep my windows closed. Cigarette smoke is so irritating, and I am not asthmatic or super-sensitive. I couldn't live in a place where a neighbor is polluting the air in my home. But, he probably doesn't even realize it's happening. Hope you find a solution you both can live with.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate that feeling! Your throat gets so irritated and the smell is just stuck in your nose.

Have you just considered getting an ionic breeze, they work great on filtering out smoke (grill smoke I tried)

I would love to get something like that, but being a college student I cannot afford a $400 air filter. I've got $10000 I need to save up for my last few months before I graduate.

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

I realize that in the land of the "free," everyone is allowed to walk all over everyone else, and "first come-first serve" is how things work, but up here, where everyone has equal rights, it doesn't matter if the guy smoking were the pope, I still have the right to live in a comfortable environment, windows open or closed.

So your right to comfort overrides his right to comfort? Sounds legit. Not sure you know what equal rights mean.

Second hand smoke isn't entirely about comfort, it's about health and well being. That **** kills. It's already illegal to smoke in or near public buildings. Municipalities are allowed to make it illegal to smoke in community buildings (i.e. apartment buildings). Two communities in Canada have passed such a law already. It's only a matter of time before the entire country follows suit.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Wow some people on here are just rude.
    I'm really sorry that's happening to you, I wouldn't have even thought of that problem if I was moving into an appt with a balcony. I feel your pain, I have horrible sensitivity when it comes to cigarettes... I hope it gets resolved soon.

I agree, though, I might be on the other side. I don't disagree that the smoke is bothering her. What I don't understand is why she doesn't feel confident/ comfortable enough to just talk with the guy about it. If she approaches him kindly, it shouldn't be a problem: she can stay, he can smoke, everybody wins!

But to love your apartment and be willing to give it up because you can't be adult enough to talk with your neighbor, well, that's just weird. Maybe it's that "United States Independence", but I always thought quite highly of Canada and Canadians. In fact, I've always thought of Canadians as being so much more communicative than us... but a little bit of everybody is everywhere.

I've been a renter for-EVER, and have always had remarkable relationships with my neighbors with exception of two I can think of who were kind of awful people. All anyone ever has to do is approach me as an adult with respect for not only me, but for themselves and we can come to an agreement. I believe this is how most people are.

True, if the OP came to me all whiny and complaining, I might think "drama queen" and blow her off. But if she came to me and said, "hey, this is an issue for me... I'm especially sensitive can we work something out?" I'd be all for it. And probably her neighbor would be also, but nobody would know that because nobody has talked with him.

Our former neighbor would constantly go to our landlords about the most insanely minute things. By the end of her stay here, we couldn't care less what happened to her. We wished her to be happy, sure, but we don't care if she is or not, you know? The way I see it is she is a miserable person and she has the right to be miserable, but she doesn't have to do it next to me.

And it's a similar situation because we've lived here for a very long time and she was new. She made our lives unbelievably uncomfortable for far too long when it was completely avoidable by just communicating without being a jerk.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I hate that feeling! Your throat gets so irritated and the smell is just stuck in your nose.

Have you just considered getting an ionic breeze, they work great on filtering out smoke (grill smoke I tried)

I would love to get something like that, but being a college student I cannot afford a $400 air filter. I've got $10000 I need to save up for my last few months before I graduate.

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

I realize that in the land of the "free," everyone is allowed to walk all over everyone else, and "first come-first serve" is how things work, but up here, where everyone has equal rights, it doesn't matter if the guy smoking were the pope, I still have the right to live in a comfortable environment, windows open or closed.

So your right to comfort overrides his right to comfort? Sounds legit. Not sure you know what equal rights mean.

Second hand smoke isn't entirely about comfort, it's about health and well being. That **** kills. It's already illegal to smoke in or near public buildings. Municipalities are allowed to make it illegal to smoke in community buildings (i.e. apartment buildings). Two communities in Canada have passed such a law already. It's only a matter of time before the entire country follows suit.

That's a super cool story, but seeing as it's not illegal yet you don't really have much you can do about it. Next time you move into an apartment, check out the other tenants first.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

So you're thinking that you have the right to move to an area where another person is established and attempt to change their environment by force?

That's not equal rights.

Who said anything about using force?

Secondly, I never once said that the smoker had to do anything at all. Yes, it would be great if we could make smoking illegal, and kick him out of his apartment so I can live here in the comfort of my own home, but that's not about to happen. the best shot I've got is convincing the guy to go smoke on the public patio, instead of his apartment, but I wouldn't count on that happening. I just wish I could move out without and financial consequences, and manage to find a place that is equally as nice, without the damn smoking.

Man, you're quick to make assumptions.

Attempting to have your landlord contact the management company to "do something" is initiating force. Using your complaint to relocate or bust the lease because you can't close a window when you smell smoke is silly.
  • chivalryder
    Options

That's a super cool story, but seeing as it's not illegal yet you don't really have much you can do about it. Next time you move into an apartment, check out the other tenants first.

Did you even read this thread? By law, there isn't anything I can do with the tenant directly, but there is plenty I can do with the landlord/firm that manages this building.
  • whierd
    Options
    If a neighbor approached me about something I was doing to cause them discomfort and I could reasonably.accomidate them, I'd do it gladly.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Did you even read this thread? By law, there isn't anything I can do with the tenant directly, but there is plenty I can do with the landlord/firm that manages this building.

You can also close your window. That would be much easier. Or, like, talk to the dude, instead of trying to get the landlord involved.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

if everything is so wonderful "up there" then why are you having this problem?
  • kayemme
    Options

There's a law that prevents you from talking with your neighbors?
  • chivalryder
    Options

So you're thinking that you have the right to move to an area where another person is established and attempt to change their environment by force?

That's not equal rights.

Who said anything about using force?

Secondly, I never once said that the smoker had to do anything at all. Yes, it would be great if we could make smoking illegal, and kick him out of his apartment so I can live here in the comfort of my own home, but that's not about to happen. the best shot I've got is convincing the guy to go smoke on the public patio, instead of his apartment, but I wouldn't count on that happening. I just wish I could move out without and financial consequences, and manage to find a place that is equally as nice, without the damn smoking.

Attempting to have your landlord contact the management company to "do something" is initiating force. Using your complaint to relocate or bust the lease because you can't close a window when you smell smoke is silly.

Yeah, because we all want to live in a cocoon for the rest of our lives.

What's the point in closing a window is the smoke is already in my apartment?

I imagine your next comment would be to tell me to never open my window. I'm sure I would enjoy living in a bubble just as much as you would.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow some people on here are just rude.
    I'm really sorry that's happening to you, I wouldn't have even thought of that problem if I was moving into an appt with a balcony. I feel your pain, I have horrible sensitivity when it comes to cigarettes... I hope it gets resolved soon.

So true, a tenant expecting to be relocated to another unit because they can't manage to close a window is very rude.

Expecting someone to live an a building without ever opening a window is like telling someone to walk to work in the rain without an umbrella or rain coat. Would you like to live an entire year of your life without ever opening a window, especially when the weather is absolutely gorgeous outside?

If I was as obviously offended by the odors coming in it as you seem to be, why yes, I would. Or I'd use an exhaust fan. Or I'd light some candles. Or I'd stick an air filter in the window. Or I'd simply move.
  • whierd
    Options

The OP isnt telling the whole story. I.can't accept someone being unneccessarily unreasonable.when they claim to love their new place.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

No no no Im sorry! They sell generic ones for like $30-$60 bucks. Thats what we had.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Perhaps I should have added the words "to prevent him from smoking on his balcony." Sure, I can talk to him, but he won't have to stop smoking there, regardless of what I say or do.
  • kayemme
    Options

sounds like you're kinda quick to make assumptions. you haven't even talked with the guy and you've already assumed he won't be sensitive to your concerns.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    And if you have to approach the landlord, then by all means, bring up the health issues brought on by second hand smoke. The smoker has the right to compromise his health, but he does NOT have the right to endanger you. Surely they would allow you to move under these circumstances. Good luck.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how it's ok to give other people cancer.

I've never seen a lease where tenants are permitted to smoke in the property.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If a neighbor approached me about something I was doing to cause them discomfort and I could reasonably.accomidate them, I'd do it gladly.

I have disagreed with what you've written for the most part in this thread, but I agree with this. For example, when I moved into my apartment, the neighbor's had three kids. The mother told me, "if we're ever loud let me know and we'll try to keep it down." A situation never arose but it was nice that she said it.

And I would go with the assumption that the neighbor will be nice, rather than rude.
  • whierd
    Options

Perhaps I should have added the words "to prevent him from smoking on his balcony." Sure, I can talk to him, but he won't have to stop smoking there, regardless of what I say or do.

So that means don't bother and immediately place the burden on your landlord?