Smoking Neighbours

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Wow,

What a bunch of jerks in here telling you to get over it or that you're over reacting.

I don't have any answers for you; this is one of the many reasons that I hope to never have to live in an apartment again.

There is nothing worse than having someone else's toxic fumes filling your home and making you miserable.

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

There are steps people can take to avoid being ****heads too.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Logic != Evil-jerky-meaniehead

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, but there is something called tact. You can get your point across without being a douche.

It's kind of late, I'm not a fluffy bunny when I'm tired. :-) I agree I haven't been sympathetic but I haven't been mean.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing actually. The woman and her boyfriend smoke downstairs from us. My house is almost 200 years old, so the walls/floor are thin-ish. I've talked to the landlords here too and they're not doing anything. It takes my breath away it's so bad. I have asthma, and two little kids, 2 and 3, and it's so bad my cats' fur literally stinks from it! It's disgusting, and people saying OP is overreacting, I don't think so. People should be more considerate of others, especially in my case because this is a family-oriented renter. It's pretty crappy when I can't have my windows open on a nice day because then I need to use my inhaler, it's disgusting.

Is the smoke entering your unit because of the walls and floors or through the window?

both, but through the floor and walls it's mainly just the smell of smoke, not like someone's smoking, if that makes sense. Smells older, I guess. Regardless, it's gross. We've had to put my kids in an attic bedroom in the back of the house so they don't get the smoke from having their windows open.

I'm not sure of your exact city codes, but there may be a code requirement for vapor/fire barriers between domiciles that is being violated. Also, since the lease explicitly says the smoking must be x feet away, you have a chance to pursue this.

Yeah, I have to double-check what it says EXACTLY. But I know it says something about a certain number of feet away. This lady is a total *kitten* btw, which is why I haven't approached her directly. She complains about my kids all the time. They're ****ing 2 and 3 years old! haha
  • whierd
    Options
    Wow,

What a bunch of jerks in here telling you to get over it or that you're over reacting.

I don't have any answers for you; this is one of the many reasons that I hope to never have to live in an apartment again.

There is nothing worse than having someone else's toxic fumes filling your home and making you miserable.

He was living there first. There are steps she can take to prevent the smoke from entering. She should have done her due diligence.

Enumerate them.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

but that's the thing: this poor guy probably doesn't even KNOW he's causing an issue.

i don't think she should have to live unreasonably discomforted, but it's only fair to talk with him first before getting the landlord involved. it's just bad neighborly practice.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So far, the only two suggestions I have gotten have been:

a) Deal with it, or

b) Talk to him.

I find it hilarious that, in the 1 hour this forum has existed, simple because I haven't spoken to him, I haven't taken that advice *at all.*

Yeah, sure I've brought it up with the landlord, but that's because I've bumped into the landlord a few times. I've never seen this guy at all. I had actually spoken to the guy directly below me because I believed that's where all of the smoke was coming from. The two of them are buddies, so that's how I found out the guy was a chain smoker (and also recovering from heart disease and open-heart surgery. The guy probably isn't going to live much longer).

I haven't gone to speak to the guy yet because I am both very tired and very irked by both the smoker himself, and the *kitten* on this thread. Would you say it's good advice to talk to someone when you're pissed off at him? I didn't think so.

I also hate conflict. I try to avoid it as much as possible. That's why I went to the landlord first, to see if what my options were. Why did I do that? So I could leave the guy alone, so he could continue doing what he is doing, with interference by me. Does that make me a bad person, interfering with his rights? Making him unable to live in his own comfort? I didn't think so. I was simply trying to make my own living arrangements more comfortable at my own costs. He wouldn't have even known that any of this was going on.

So I think all of you can shove off and let some people on here with with some real advice pitch in. That's why I made this thread: So I could get some advice, and to let off some steam. Damn.

Edit: I would like to add that I'm not one who just goes around and complains about my problems. When there is something bothering me, and I really don't like it, I do something about it. Talking to the landlord: that's what I was doing. I was dealing with it. I wasn't just *****ing about it. I really hate it when people just complain about their problems, then never act on it.
  • whierd
    Options

Yeah, I have to double-check what it says EXACTLY. But I know it says something about a certain number of feet away. This lady is a total *kitten* btw, which is why I haven't approached her directly. She complains about my kids all the time. They're ****ing 2 and 3 years old! haha

Yeah, people like that are a pain. Better off to deal with them in a formal manner rather than attempting to reason with her. :flowerforyou: <---to show I can play nice
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    disappointed. I thought this would be a 'pot' thread. Jeez. all this drama over cigarettes!? Glad we're not neighbors
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

a) Deal with it, or

b) Talk to him.

I find it hilarious that, in the 1 hour this forum has existed, simple because I haven't spoken to him, I haven't taken that advice *at all.*

Yeah, sure I've brought it up with the landlord, but that's because I've bumped into the landlord a few times. I've never seen this guy at all. I had actually spoken to the guy directly below me because I believed that's where all of the smoke was coming from. The two of them are buddies, so that's how I found out the guy was a chain smoker (and also recovering from heart disease and open-heart surgery. The guy probably isn't going to live much longer).

I haven't gone to speak to the guy yet because I am both very tired and very irked by both the smoker himself, and the *kitten* on this thread. Would you say it's good advice to talk to someone when you're pissed off at him? I didn't think so.

I also hate conflict. I try to avoid it as much as possible. That's why I went to the landlord first, to see if what my options were. Why did I do that? So I could leave the guy alone, so he could continue doing what he is doing, with interference by me. Does that make me a bad person, interfering with his rights? Making him unable to live in his own comfort? I didn't think so. I was simply trying to make my own living arrangements more comfortable at my own costs. He wouldn't have even known that any of this was going on.

So I think all of you can shove off and let some people on here with with some real advice pitch in. That's why I made this thread: So I could get some advice, and to let off some steam. Damn.

But you still haven't closed your window, put a fan in the window, or put out some sort of air freshener. There were more than the suggestions you listed.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    disappointed. I thought this would be a 'pot' thread. Jeez. all this drama over cigarettes!? Glad we're not neighbors

I actually don't mind the smell of pot. It does, however, also give me a splitting headache. Don't smell it up here though.
  • kayemme
    Options
    when that neighbor i was talking about earlier lived in our neighborhood, the ENTIRE neighborhood was wary of her. that can't have been a good feeling for her, either (not that i really cared, since i didn't respect her), but on a human level, i would imagine that would totally suck to be the neighbor that all the other neighbors disliked.

there are so many ways to prevent being that person, you know? that's all i'm trying to get at. if that means i'm "trollin" or "being mean" then so be it. good neighborly practice takes communicating as a first step. THEN you can take action if things are still uncomfortable.

even as a smoker, i wouldn't want to live above a chain smoker. the OP has a perfectly valid complaint, all i ask is that she be grown up enough to speak kindly with her neighbor first instead of hiding behind authority. if the neighbor has an established relationship with the landlord, it's possible that she is being labeled as a "troublemaker" and that's not cool either.
  • chivalryder
    Options

a) Deal with it, or

b) Talk to him.

But you still haven't closed your window, put a fan in the window, or put out some sort of air freshener. There were more than the suggestions you listed.

Just because I haven't said I had done it, doesn't mean isn't hasn't happened yet. I did that tonight before this thread started. I would much prefer leaving them open, with the fans blowing it. We seem to be going through some below-normal temperatures this week, so I'm alright with it tonight.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I actually don't mind the smell of pot. It does, however, also give me a splitting headache. Don't smell it up here though.

Ironic. You do realize there are far more cancerous agents in second hand pot smoke right?
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options

a) Deal with it, or

b) Talk to him.

Edit: I would like to add that I'm not one who just goes around and complains about my problems. When there is something bothering me, and I really don't like it, I do something about it. Talking to the landlord: that's what I was doing. I was dealing with it. I wasn't just *****ing about it. I really hate it when people just complain about their problems, then never act on it.

Ok, that's not true I have suggested a few things as have a few other people. If you only hear what you want to then there isn't anyone that can help you.
    Do something with the fans you have right now to get the smoke out, then shut your window for now.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

No, it's not and we're not saying go storm down there right now. Take a day to collect yourself, take a deep breath, and tomorrow go down there. Complaining for so long isn't going to help your situation - only dealing with it will help.

And trust me, I hate confrontation too, but I confront people if needed. It empowers you when it is done in the right setting.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Okay, there are obvious smokers rights proponents and landlords replying in this thread who only want to be antagonistic. I wonder if they smoke in their house or car around their children? If not why? hmmmm... oh, because it kills you and or damages your health? It is an environmental hazard and you are not overreacting if it concerns you! Especially if it is interfering with your sleep! That is very rude to say you are being a drama queen. If your health as well as your sanity are being compromised by the situation you have every right to be upset about it and wonder what you can do ... Anyway, Ignore them and you have some good suggestions from others. I really don't understand why people respond to these threads when they have nothing to actually contribute to the OP. If you aren't actually answering a question, quit being a pot stirrer. Does every question really have to be a debate? Calm down and go have another smoke!
    (Although I would probably be on a different, more relevant forum asking this) :)

Your options:
    Talk to your neighbor
    Get a fan and blow it outwards
    if neither of these approaches works, you're just going to have to stick it out and wait to move sounds like.
    Or move early if you can really get out of your lease.

If the smoke is so bad that it is VISIBLY coming into your apartment, get it on camera and show it to your neighbor and then your landlord if he doesn't care. Because bottom line if it's THAT bad that you can see it, there is obvious risk to your health, whereas if it's "just a smell" it will probably be downplayed, even though it can still affect your health and sanity.

And it's silly to suggest you are trying to get out of a lease you can't afford. For one, you obviously qualified to begin with. And you also already stated you like the apartment complex and would move to another unit. I'm assuming the same price.

Any reasonable person who has ever been affected by any environmental factor beyond their can control, wether they be smoker or non smoker, can appreciate and empathize with your situation. It's a PROVEN cause of psychological stress.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Starting to smell like troll up in here.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Ironic. You do realize there are far more cancerous agents in second hand pot smoke right?

i don't know about that, but it's certainly true of car exhaust, which people happily devour in the drive-thru lane (and everywhere else).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how it's ok to give other people cancer.

I've never seen a lease where tenants are permitted to smoke in the property.

Good point well made.

I assume the obnoxious bros on the thread are the variety of smoker who assert 'you can take my cigarette from my cold dead hand'.

Obviously it's *entirely unreasonable* that a non-smoker not want to indulge in someone else's death wish.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Yeah, people like that are a pain. Better off to deal with them in a formal manner rather than attempting to reason with her. :flowerforyou: <---to show I can play nice

If she wasn't a complete *kitten*, I would have said something to her every time I saw her standing out there lighting up. I mean, right outside other peoples' windows, come on now, that's just plain rude, or you're an idiot if you don't realize. At least go on the other side of the house or something. I mean, this woman complained about having a little plastic kiddie pool leaning up on the house between her windows LOL