A long 300lb+ hill to climb...

Options
joshua3179
joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
Hi, my name is Josh I'm 33 years old and I an 6'4" tall and i weigh 600lbs... Whew it really hurts to say that out loud.. I don't even know how it got this bad really I was in a state of denial I thought for the longest time that I was only 375-420 lbs I even bought a scale that tops out at 500lbs when I stepped on it an error showed on the screen I thought it was broken there was no way I weighed over 500! I sort of slipped into a state of depression for the next couple years I gained weight... Then I decided to get a consult for weight loss surgery. I weighed 612lbs... I was given instructions and set a date for surgery and a week before the procedure the company I worked for changed insurance providers....! The new insurance wanted me to meet different criteria in order to do the surgery including a 6mo. Supervised diet.. Again I felt crushed mentally and I cancelled the surgery all together! Almost a year passed and I decided again that it was time I had this surgery, I started the 6 month diet weighing 642 lbs and 1 month later my employer hanged providers again!!! That's when I decided to try MFP a friend of mine suggested the iPhone app. That was in June 2012 and I weighed 630 now as of today aug 17 2012 I'm Down to 598... It's so hard and it's tough to even exersize but I'm getting there staying under 1800 calories a day. Hope my story helps...
Thanks, Josh

Replies

• JamieLee1013
    Options
    WAY TO GO, Josh! Keep up the good work. You are taking control of your life and you are seeing the benefits. Remember, one day at a time! You can do it!
  • joshua3179
    Options
    Feel free to add me I could use the support
  • joshua3179
    Options
    Thank you!
  • lovelessofme
    Options
    Your doing it!!! I have over 100 pounds to lose and would love to follow you on your journey... For me I focus on 5-10 pounds at a time, since that is more managable.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Josh,

Try not to concentrate on the entire weight you have to lose. I weighed 290 when I started and I celebrated every 10 pound interval. I rewarded myself with anything but food! I did buy things that related to improving my health and exercise, an HRM, a pair of walking shoes, lo-cal cookbooks, weights, kitchen scales, bathroom scales, etc. I gave me something to look forward to each 10 pounds.

Look at you already under 600 pounds, that is fantastic. I dont know what you are doing for exercise but I would suggest water aerobics. You can do so much more in water than you can on land. And dont get discouraged if you cant do everything at first. Water aerobics have been my go-to exercise of choice and I've lost 97 pounds since last October. Even if you just walk laps in the water, you can burn as much calories as you would walking.

Just take it one day at a time, sometimes for me, it was one hour at a time, but you CAN do this. This site is a wonderful place to be and you can always count on people to answer questions for you, and to help and encourage you. Do it now while you are young and dont wait until you are older like me.

I wish you much luck and success!
  • millsmom6
    Options
    Everyone has a story to tell and I think yours is awesome! It's great that you really want to do something about it. You have the motivation and it shows because you have already made some progress. Even if you feel they are baby steps, they are still steps in the right direction. I have found that everyone is very friendly on here and are great motivators. Just keep going and don't give up. You will have a much happier and healthier life!
  • dsylam1982
    dsylam1982 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your story is very motivational! Keep on keeping on and I have the utmost faith that you will reach your goal!!!
  • bonnieluann
    Options
    congrats on your success don't give up each day is a new beginning thanks for sharing your story with us
  • Squeaks1977
    Squeaks1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great job! It does get easier as you go and it helps to have supportive friends and family!
  • beckyb3512
    beckyb3512 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are a spiritual person, but I think God did not want you to have this surgery. What are the odds of your place of employment doing that with insurance companies like that. You are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Keep up the good work !
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    congratulations for taking the first step to a healthy life style. I made it by setting small monthly goals and had good luck with it. again congratulations and the best of luck
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Hey Josh,

Thanks for sharing your story, you've gone through some serious frustrations and it's great to hear that you're getting your head together and working on your health.

As has been said, don't concentrate on the whole road, just a section of it at a time, and you'll get there.

Hang in there, and when you have a bad day, just hang on to those around you.

I tend to be on the quiet side at times, but if you want to add in another friend, I'm here.
  • jipowell357
    jipowell357 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you have already done!! It shows that you can do it!! I started out at almost 300 lbs and 5' tall, and I have alot to lose too. I use baby steps and mini goals to focus on as it makes the journey more doable. My rewards are nonfood related, like going thru my closet and getting rid of "too big" clothes, a new hairdoo, a movie(I like to watch them at home), enjoying learning a healthier lifestyle.
    I do water aerobics and it is fun and easy on my knees and I don't get judged for my size.
    You can do it! Just focus a day at a time, a little at a time and keep moving forward.
    I will send you a friend request.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you have lost so far. Like others have said, try not to focus on the big number. Try to set smaller goals for yourself. It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind and are determined to succeed. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • jasonrochon
    Options
    Two good resources [same people, different websites]

Story, advertisements, etc.
    http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Full movie, meal plans, etc.
    http://www.jointhereboot.com/
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just think that you are just so brave. You can do this! Its very inspirational to see that you are the size you are and are willing to put in the hard yards. I was "only" 310lbs and was overwhelmed (and still am) about how much "I' have to lose. I have so far only Iost 15lbs. But as others have said, its one goal at a time and not to look at the big picture as yet. I will send you a friend request, will love to see how you are going :-)
  • acbbrown
    Options
    Ive climbed my own 230 lb hill this far...it's one foot in front of the other. Up until the last couple months, I never thought about how much I had to lose because it would have been too depressing, but a couple years later, and I'm approaching my goal. Feel free to add me.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Good luck on your journey and know that the people here are great and encouraging!
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi, Josh. Welcome to the MFP family. I know it's hard, but it is not impossible. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    Feel free to add me....I'm on MFP daily and will support you! This is a great place to get support and tips. I think not having the surgery and embarking on this journey is a blessing in disguise. It may be a long and slow journey but it will be all woth it in the end!!!!
    Good luck to you!