A long 300lb+ hill to climb...

Options

Replies

• SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi Josh, you are around my age, if you ever need a chat I'm here, welcome to the beginning of your new life! Congrats on taking the first steps to health and well being :flowerforyou:
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far and good luck on the rest of your weight loss journey!
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow on the work you have done so far! This site is amazing, isn't it? I joined in the beginning of July. I love the support from others and The support I can give to others! Keep up the great work!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I wrote u a msg :bigsmile:
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Congratulations on what you've achieved so far! You can do this. You will find a lot of support on here!

Good luck!
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your story is inspiring because even through all of the tough breaks you went through you stayed strong and motivated to keep moving forward no matter what that meant in an effort to get the weight off. You sound like a very strong minded and willed individual and so far it sounds like you've had wonderful success tracking your calories through MFP. I agree...tracking is a tough nut to crack b/c it never gets "easy" just "easier" from day to day. As of the past few days I've been tracking my food diligently. I am at my all time high [again] sadly because I gained back 50 lbs I'd lost last year. It's quite depressing actually and some how in my mind I've rationalized for the longest time that I'm entitled to those 50 lbs and I shouldn't have to re-lose the weight but I now understand that I can't undo the past and that I've gotta start from square one. Just know that everyone's weight loss journey is different....some people's journey might take longer then others....but that's OK. Just stay true to yourself and you'll be glad that you did because the results....ohhh...the results will hail sweet victory. Chin up....keep smilin and truckin forward...there IS an end to the weight loss journey BUT the healthy lifestyle should never end.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well done on taking the decision to lose the weight . I am new here and just under 300lb( was 300 but lost 9 before coming here) and i know it can seem daunting looking at the total amount to lose so I am trying to break it down into smaller goals of 14lb a time . I too find it hard to excercise because I have back and joint problems but I am just doing what I can and am moving more than before so its a start.
    Feel free to add me if your looking for support
  • jasonrochon
    Options
    There are a whole bunch of :heart: sexy women :heart: in this thread.
    That alone, should inspire you
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You courage and determination are amazing. Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep going...one day at a time, one hour at a time if need be. It IS hard, but you have already proven you have the chops to do it. Thank you for sharing your story!
  • LisabethG
    LisabethG Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    this is already a success story...you've started. My husband had his physical today at the dr's and
    the scale won't register him, which means he's over 350 lbs. He is very discouraged, but I asked
    him to try what I'm doing.. write down everything you eat!! It has helped me to lose 35 lbs since
    Jan. 2012. It's coming off slowly, but it's coming off!! Focus on small goals, I concentrate on 10 lbs
    at a time. Dont get in a hurry losing it. Let your body adjust to the weight loss... it will stay off longer.
    Good luck.
  • mommie55
    mommie55 Posts: 23
    Options
    Welcome Josh!!
    Every pound you lose is one less you have to lose....
    .I set my goal at a pound a wk as I did not put the extra weight on overnight and I know there is no magic wand I can wave to make it come off in a week
    You have done an awesome job so far!! Hang in there! ....
    I use a goal of no carbs after 1pm....and at least a gallon of water a day. ( my doc told me I should drink 1/2 my body weight in fluid ounces every day and then add a quart)......example if you weigh 320 you should drink 160 0z. a day plus another 32oz....staying hydrated is a key in weight reduction
    I agree with the MFP who suggested you exercise in the water....it is so much easier to move my extra body weight in the water then on land.
    I will be following you on your journey and cheering for you every step of the way...
    Lets get fit together!!!
  • joshua3179
    joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Josh I'm 33 years old and I an 6'4" tall and i weigh 600lbs... Whew it really hurts to say that out loud.. I don't even know how it got this bad really I was in a state of denial I thought for the longest time that I was only 375-420 lbs I even bought a scale that tops out at 500lbs when I stepped on it an error showed on the screen I thought it was broken there was no way I weighed over 500! I sort of slipped into a state of depression for the next couple years I gained weight... Then I decided to get a consult for weight loss surgery. I weighed 612lbs... I was given instructions and set a date for surgery and a week before the procedure the company I worked for changed insurance providers....! The new insurance wanted me to meet different criteria in order to do the surgery including a 6mo. Supervised diet.. Again I felt crushed mentally and I cancelled the surgery all together! Almost a year passed and I decided again that it was time I had this surgery, I started the 6 month diet weighing 642 lbs and 1 month later my employer hanged providers again!!! That's when I decided to try MFP a friend of mine suggested the iPhone app. That was in June 2012 and I weighed 630 now as of today aug 17 2012 I'm Down to 598... It's so hard and it's tough to even exersize but I'm getting there staying under 1800 calories a day. Hope my story helps...
    Thanks, Josh

Hi Josh
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    Although I was not at your weight when I started I was @360 lbs. in May of 2011 As of today August 21, 2012 I am @ 185 lbs.
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
    When I started the only exercise I could do was walk in a pool! Which I have done daily for one hour
    YOU CAN DO TI!!!

If I can help in anyway contact me

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Peace
    Geo
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Josh you are amazing! You should be so proud of what you have achieved so far.......you have already dropped some 5% of your body weight....amazing! Your life is in your hands, you are in control and you are doing this! Sending you a friend request. We all need help and motivation along the way. I wish you every success :flowerforyou:

Sharon
  • MsB628
    MsB628 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Josh, Congratulation on the weigh you have lost and know that more is to come, because you want this. I myself had reach over 300lbs, and it takes a toll on you. I deceided that I was going to lose weight and my doctor suggested that I joing myfitnesspal, and I am glad I did. We are in it to win it, remember that. Cheering for you keep striving and doing it for you.
  • Tynahall
    Tynahall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You got this! Feel free to add me for support!!!
  • joshua3179
    joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
    Options
    Update!!!! To date I've lost 58 pounds! Thank you guys for all te kind words and support!
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome Josh.You are doing great.You will be so much better off doing this on your own, rather than surgery. You will have such a feeling of accomplishment. My sister-in-law had the surgery a few years ago and has issues from it.
    Obviously it was not God's will for you anyway. I wish you the best on your journey.:wink:
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    Hang in there fitness pal. My story is very much like your own. Considered surgery but something always happened that prevented me from actually going ahead and I never really wanted to do it, it was just a last desperate attempt. I think we've come to the right place, I feel very hopeful that MFP will be the key to my success. Keep logging on everyday and take it one day at a time.
  • KBE1990
    KBE1990 Posts: 38
    Options
    Way to go Josh! Glad you set your mind to it! Trust me... If I can lose about 210lbs, you can lose 300+! Just keep your head held high, and never EVER give up! Losing weight isn't easy! It will take a while, and it will get REALLY frustrating but every pound you lose gets you closer to your goal! There will be times where you slip and mess up... Just don't beat yourself up over it, pick yourself up and start again! At my biggest I weighed 413, I am down to 204 right now... I can't wait to get under 200.... I know how hard it is to lose weight, but once you start on the right track, the pounds will just fall off, especially in the first few months! If you need motivation or support just message me!

A good tip I learned is to drink plenty of water, walk on the treadmill at least 30minutes a day, and try eating an apple before each meal, it really helps curb hunger and keeps you fuller longer!

Keep up the good work! I wish you luck on your weight loss journey!