Do you keep your diary open/closed?

Options
124»

Replies

• lowry12
    lowry12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i know how the 1200 cal thing goes but luckly enough i dont have the issue of ppl giving me a hard time over it
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    Open to keep me accountable :)

Exactly that! If I know someone else can look at it, I pay more attention. Like today, had a over active day & big calorie adjustments, wasn't all that hungry but knew I had to put some fuel in me or MFP friends were going to call me out on the very low net!
  • eidnahenri
    Options
    Mine is closed. I don't feel it's necessary for me to have a bunch of strangers on the internet scrutinize my choices. I have also chosen not to have any "friends" on this site, because that's not what I'm here for.

I have special people in my real life I allow to look at my diaries to help keep me accountable. I journalize private thoughts about this journey in the "Notes" sections, and those same special people... people who love me no matter what... are the only people who get to read them.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. Mainly because I get food ideas from others and think others can get food ideas from me. And when someone asks how I'm losing weight, I can just refer them to my food and exercise diary. I don't mind critiques of what I eat because I feel secure in my choices.
  • maikastar
    Options
    Open. The accountability and feedback are helpful for me.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Closed, it's for personal tracking for me.

As a bonus you will never see the 9 pints of Spitfire Ale that I put away yesterday. True story ... ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed, except to my MFP friends. I do this so they can support me. I don't always see that sort of support among the general group here. Some are supportive, sure. Others mock, deride, judge.
    I'm not here for that. I'm here to log my food, see my macros etc.
  • StaceyG221
    Options
    Open to friends. I like food...& I don't really worry about what others think, at my age. I know that the fact that I am finally serious about getting off of my rear end and working out, the few excess pounds will come off without starving myself. Toning is what is most important for me right now.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,961 Member
    Options
    I had it closed when I first started at MFP as I believe many people abandon privacy too easily and take too few precautions. One of my MFP friends asked me to open as she wanted to mutually monitor for accountability and support with all of her MFP friends... so I opened it to friends only.

That being said, I'm surprised by how many people do not log their food, exercise, etc. Since my primary reason for using MFP is for those features rather than the social media aspect, I find it bizarre that others wouldn't take advantage of those tools.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open, if people want to be critical fug em

That's how i feel about it
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Open to keep me accountable :)

I'm the same way!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My food diary is just for my own use. I hold myself accountable, just as I always have for all of my life (who else would I have to be accountable to for my eating). I don't see any reason to open it. I joined here not quite knowing what this was (I was curious because a friend joined), and the whole social aspect of the site took me by surprise. I am maintaining, and filled in my own calorie goals (MFP was setting them too low because I am an active person, and I have a high metabolism and LBM), so I mostly just use this as a tool to be aware of what I am eating. My calorie goals are set by me, not by mfp. I'm up late and eat well past midnight often. Sometimes I don't know how to log the meals I make, so I log only part if it and quick add calories if needed. My tracking is really just an estimate. I could be eating more or less and burning more calories than I realize (or less), but I am the one that is aware of how close I am or not. I am here for my own fitness goals because I chose to do that, I don't need to gain or lose weight. I don't know, it just seems personal.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Mine is open.
    It keeps me from eating TOO badly because I remember "Ohshiz, people can see my diary, I don't want to be cheating on my diet and looking like a bad influence."

Lol, like.. When someone is watching you do something, you instantly try your hardest, that's the feeling for me.

This^^
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have mine open. Considering closing it. Because when I post something different, people have to comment and criticize on my diary. I would like comments when I ask for comments. When I'm asking a completely different question, and people look at my diary and say stupid things like "you only ate 200 calories" or "why are you only eating 800 calories every day" ... I'm like WTF. I'm WORKING on it okay! It's not an overnight thing. I'm working on eating more than 800 cals a day. And for people to insult me, it hurts!! Why is it a big deal? And some person was like "why did you only eat 200 cals today?" well guess what, I hadn't finished logging my foods for the day!!

Honestly, many of the people on MFP are just plain RUDE and INSENSITIVE.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to MFP and my diary is open. Partly to share with MFP friends and those who might want to become pals. I'm open to questions, comments, and suggestions. Just today I asked a friend about a food she had on her diary because I didn't have a clue about it, but I was familiar with the exercise program...I was curious how it tasted, etc.

Although I'm still working on getting up to my calorie and other requirements, I'm hopeful that if folks have helpful suggestions on how to reach my goals, ideas on what foods to eat, they'll do so after reading my diary.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Open, I figure if any of my friends stop being so friendly it's not hard to remove them!
  • dobielover1
    Options
    Mine is closed..I've had enough people judging/commenting on my diet over the years...and I feel that now I am finally turing things around, I don't need even more people telling me what I do wrong. I read the message boards and get a lot of information there that has been helpful.
    What I don't understand, is people who get pissy when someone keeps their diary private.