WTF????

Options

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't really do fast food anymore - in the typical sense. I'll do subway on occasion but they're still really high in calories for me. If I had to do fast food (ew).. I'd opt for 1. salad, 2. baked potato and chili, 3. (and this is expensive but - it is what it is) I'd order 2 grilled chicken sandwiches and drop the bread.

I'm not low carb, but the bread is just - nutritionally a waste. High calorie and no real benefit.

Restaurants? Generally much easier - as long as it's not a greasy spoon or family diner.. Grilled fish minus the oil, or light on the oil, steamed veggies, SCORE! and mighty delicious.

Grilled Chicken breast, Salad, grilled chicken breast salad minus cheese, etc etc.. My fav lately is grilled tilapia with steamed mixed veggies.

it can be done, but I just don't have a taste for fast food anymore - the thought of it turns my stomach. Eating REAL food - ok - not that FF isn't real food - but more nutritious food makes me feel better and tastes so much better!

If you get invited out, ask if you can pick the place. If they invite you to a place you KNOW you can't eat, eat first :) before you go, then go and enjoy the company. I've done that too.. ;-) or, in a pinch, if you do cheat days (high days, etc., as I do), save these things for your high days.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do 1 of 3 things - -

1. I check the nutritional information while Im there

2. I have things altered or removed - cheese and sauces really throw things up, stick to grilled rather than fried, Ill use maybe half the bread, or I look for the salads

3. I prepare myself for possibly 2 workouts that day
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I just had lunch at Arby's and did fine I think. I had the Jr. Roast Beef sandwich and a side salad for under 300 calories. You can eat out just don't eat as much. Salads can be a great choice and limited the dressing. I'm sure the bacon on it does not help the calorie count.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it and just get a good workout in later lol
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I save up atleast 1000 calories before I eat at a restraunt either from the same day or a few days ahead. It gives me something to look forward to and I enjoy my dinner.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    LOL! I know what you mean! Anytime Ihave to eat fast food, unfortunately, I always opt for a salad with limited dressing. And we wonder why so many folks are overweight??? Eating healthy is not only expensive, it's very time consuming. Hang in there! :smile:

A head of lettuce isn't all that expensive...

Depends on where you live. In Iowa, the most I paid was $2. A head of iceberg lettuce is $3-$4 in Newfoundland. Food has to be shipped by ferry, then trucked across the entire length/breadth of the island to reach me. I don't want to think about the cost in Nunavut. :noway:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of life I automatically assume that any eating establishment that can be accessed without leaving my vehicles falls in the "not good for you" category. Conversely, if I happen to be eating at such an establishment I am doing so at a point I am not concerned about the quality of food I'm receiving. One meal of high everything bad isn't going to kill you. If you eat at Arby's every day then you would probably want to be concerned. Not so much by the food as by your choice of consuming said food on a daily basis.

You can find the dietary information for all US chain restaurants on line. A little reading goes a long way. Especially when you start taking note of the incredibly high fat and sodium content.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you have to avoid all social interaction and family gatherings because that is too extreme and unrealistic. Give yourself some freedom to indulge in moderation, but try to plan ahead and work some exercise in too. You can't always have perfect days, but that doesn't mean you aren't making progress. Moderation and planing are key.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I love the Chicken Fajita Pita from Jack in the Box. 330 calories and 23 gm of protein. It's basically grilled chicken, tomatoes, cheese, and lettuce in a pita...topped with salsa. The sodium is high, but that's my go-to fast food if I'm out and about and didn't bring anything with me. Applebee's has a great menu of "under 550 calorie" items. Chick-fil-A has some decent choices too. Pretty much all fast food is loaded in sodium though.

You don't have to give up fast food forever. Just don't eat it often and make the best choices available. Some places (like Burger King) have NOTHING on the menu that works for me nutritionally, so I try to avoid those places. You just have to try to plan ahead a little.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed. I guess NO WHERE has anything healthy. So what do you do? Decline all invites from family/friends when they wanna go out to eat?? What is wrong with all these fast food places?? And sit down restaurants are no better, probably are even worse. That's ridiculous. SCREW ARBY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I eat out. I just make sure I check nutritional info before hand

what she said. :) i just had mcdonald's today. i got a classic grilled chicken sandwich without mayo for 300 calories. ;) fries is what always gets me there. the medium is more than 300 calories i believe. since i already know what's for dinner (red beans and rice and a salad), i had the calories to indulge in an entire meal. when we are on the go, i can always find something decent by looking up the nutrition info before we pull up. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The Market Fresh sandwiches are like 800 calories. I was pretty amazed when I discovered that. However the plain ol' regular roast beef if only 350. Yums. Like someone said, check calories BEFORE you go, or I think they have to have them displayed in the store somewhere, at least in CO.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you thought a fast food item with bacon in the title would be "healthy"

QTn1N.gif

Blasphemer...
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you thought a fast food item with bacon in the title would be "healthy"
    :laugh: Bacon is the healthiest meat ever
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed. I guess NO WHERE has anything healthy. So what do you do? Decline all invites from family/friends when they wanna go out to eat?? What is wrong with all these fast food places?? And sit down restaurants are no better, probably are even worse. That's ridiculous. SCREW ARBY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you eat half it's only 300cals

ijmir.gif
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Their Market Fresh Turkey Sandwich is 330 calories if you only eat HALF. If I EVER go to a restaurant, regardless of the type, if I order a sandwich, salad, or any other "healthier" item, I still make sure and eat only half. REAL restaurant meals I will eat maybe 1/3 and pack the rest away. Its too easy to eat too much when going out, so that's my rule.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

drop the wrap part and I'm sure whatever kind of dressing they added to it and the rest is yummy. And you will drop over half the calories too, and just as tasty.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    If I know ahead of time that I'm planning to join a friend for dinner later in the week, I will do my "homework" and come with a game plan. My friends like Mi Cocina, for example. I usually order a fish entree with vegetables and it fits easily into my day. It can be done, just gotta do some detective work. And maybe be the one who is proactive in suggesting a place so that you can go where you already know the menu.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    actually a meal of 600 isnt too bad because most people eat 1400-2000 calories which means you would have 800-1400 left and that means you can eat less in your other meals. then you also workout or burn calories so you have even more to work with for the day. also just because you want to eat less calories doesnt mean you cant enjoy your family/friends time. thats why you plan ahead your meals and if you go over one day then the next day you burn more.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

If you eat half it's only 300cals

ijmir.gif

dyDNa.gif

Well, that's math, but I couldn't find a MATH pepsi can.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

QTn1N.gif

Blasphemer...

ROFL!!! Bacon IS pretty amazing. :laugh: