WTF????

Options

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused as to why you are upset with Arby's--they did nothing wrong. They are trying to turn a profit (capitalism and all), so why would they not load their food with things (cheese, for example) that would make it taste good?

Point of clarification. Arby's uses processed cheese, probably more chemicals than actual cheese. A frozen, processed cheese like substrate, that is heated up at individual restaurants, months, or perhaps years, after factory processing. Because this process destroys the smell and taste, Arby's chemical engineers have added special enzymes that give the illusion of a cheese smell and taste, hence tricking your taste buds into assuming they are eating actual cheese. It's much cheaper this way. Capitalism and all...

Bon appetit!

--P
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ... Arby's Cheese sauce is melted cheddar cheese mixed with canola oil. All you have to do is read the ingredients label to know what's in it, and what it's made from. As for their sliced and shredded cheddar, milk, salt, and enzymes. In other words, REAL CHEDDAR CHEESE. Stop making up lies.
  • staceface519
    Options
    A lot of places are like that. . . .they dont care ur on a diet. . they care about making money. . . .

2 solutions i can think of:

a- dont eat it if u can

b- if ur invited by friends/family. . get something that isnt too high in calories and pic it apart. . u dont need the bread and alll so its less calories but ur still eating and not making anyone feel bad,.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed. I guess NO WHERE has anything healthy. So what do you do? Decline all invites from family/friends when they wanna go out to eat?? What is wrong with all these fast food places?? And sit down restaurants are no better, probably are even worse. That's ridiculous. SCREW ARBY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safest place that I have found is "Subway" I really don't like to eat out. On a rare occasion if I have to I will go there.....after all you can pick exactly what you want on it. I do the Veggie Delight/NO cheese and spicy mustard on the 9 grain bread.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think sit down restaurants are better if you choose carefully. You can order a small lean steak or chicken breast and veggie sides and not be too high on calories. Sodium will likely still be a problem, though.

I get few invitations to eat out at fast food, but I do turn most of them down. If I'm going to have a high calorie meal prepared by someone else, I want it to taste good and I want to eat it in a relaxed atmostphere. Fast food doesn't offer either of those.
  • wanda601
    wanda601 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bacon isn't healthy? LOL! We always think a wrap would be low calorie, but usually it isn't much better than a sandwich would be. I usually opt for Subway or Wendy's.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you thought a fast food item with bacon in the title would be "healthy"

HEY! No bacon slander in here, missy! :P
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My rules regarding eating out:

1. Wraps are evil in disguise - a lot of wraps have more calories than their sandwich counterparts (probably due to the fact you have to stuff a wrap with more stuff to make it large enough to be worth buying, and the wrapping material has just about as much calories as the bread).
    2. No fries. If they have a combo that doesn't have fries, I go for that (like Wendy's chili - extra protein!).
    3. Do your research beforehand - most sites have a nutritional facts page these days. Some places, like Arby's and Moe's, have a page that lets you "build a meal" to get an idea of what to order.

Other than that, it's fair game to me - Fried chicken? Bring it. Subway? Throw it on the plate. Chinese? Where's my chopsticks? Bacon? You had better put it on there or else I'm not responsible for my actions.

It's all a matter of knowing what you're getting into when you walk in that door.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed. I guess NO WHERE has anything healthy. So what do you do? Decline all invites from family/friends when they wanna go out to eat?? What is wrong with all these fast food places?? And sit down restaurants are no better, probably are even worse. That's ridiculous. SCREW ARBY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you expect with bacon on it??????

Is 600 cal in one meal going to blow your whole day?

It's simple, plan ahead and check their menu online for nutritional information and make a healthy choice. There's nothing "wrong with these places" the failure is in your planning.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Arbys is one of the worst! They have lot sof sandwiches like turkey and swiss on whole grain bread and THAT one is over 700 calories I believe. Deceiving!

They have a delicious breakfast croissant with ham and cheese for 250 calories though . :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You expected something from a fast food place with the word "bacon" in it to be low in calories?
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Arby's turkey bacon WRAP is AT LEAST 600 calories?????????? What the hell??? OMG. I am so freaking pissed.

Um, it has cheddar cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing on it. What did you expect?
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If I eat out, I look the foods before I go and I always end up saying OMG!! I will find something that I like but has the least calories, but I will only eat half of it.
    Arbys left overs I just pass to my husband. Olive garden or something like that? I ask the waiter to box up half before bringing it to the table.
    This has really helped me.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I look up the food info from all my common go-to spots (side note: eating food you prepared will always be a better choice, because you can plan and prepare it yourself, and you're more apt to eat something you brought and not waste it). Just browse the nutritional info, pick some safe bets at each spot you think you may stop at, and memorize them.

Remember, wraps and salads can sometimes be more calorically hefty than a burger/sandwich entree. It's a minefield out there - arm yourself with the robo-suit of knowledge.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    600 cals for a meal out really isn't that bad... If I exercised even just a little bit a day I'd aim for this range at teatime... Dramatics!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I swear by McDonald's for healthier fast food. They are the ones that got the worst wrap back in the day, and they've made the most changes. A grilled snack wrap is under 300 calories, small fry is under 300 calories, oatmeals are good, etc. As in, if you're GOING to get fast food, those are good bets.

Kids Meals everywhere are pretty good too (if you don't mind a cool box and a toy :P). I know McDonald's and Wendy's have 300-400 calorie kids meals, and that's for everything in the bag.

Most of the fast food places DO have nutritional info onsite, too :P You just have to be willing to look.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Why would you think it is any less than that? The wrap alone is probably 200 calories, add bacon, turkey, dressing. None of that is low calorie. Fast food restaurants are not known for low calorie eating, so if you are going someplace like that, plan to go over for the day if you are trying to stick to very low calories, or work it out with your other meals and added exercise.

BTW - how many calories something has does not determine alone how healthy it is. You have to look at the whole picture.
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.
    it can be done though.
    I always google the menu's - which most places publish now, see whats what, then lok up the calories and decide what i'm having, and what amendments are needed before i go, then i know where i'm at.
    Sandwiches anywhere are really high though, so i tend to avoid those.

http://caloriecount.about.com

this is a realy good site for foods, has alot of brand names in there too for places out and about.
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i want arbys.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    LOL! I know what you mean! Anytime Ihave to eat fast food, unfortunately, I always opt for a salad with limited dressing. And we wonder why so many folks are overweight??? Eating healthy is not only expensive, it's very time consuming. Hang in there! :smile:

No it's not. You're just not in the habit of choosing healthy meals. I spend waaaaaaaay less now eating healthy than when I did before. And because I make more healthy choices on a regular basis, I can eat out when family invites me. Eating out should be a treat, not the norm.... This thought has helped me out a lot! :)