How about nuts?

Options
13»

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I eat walnuts or almonds daily! They are agreat source of protein and good fats. All fats are not created equal. Saturated fat and trans fat are the types that increase cholesterol while poly- and monounsaturated fats actually help to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol (which can help prevent heart disease). Also, omega-3's are a type of polyunsaturated fat. i personally limit to a serving a day, which is usually broken up into 2 segments (so I can enjoy them a couple times a day). And you should should opt for lightly salted or not salted at all because sodium content can be outrageous. Best types for you? general consensus seems to be almonds, walnuts (very high in omega 3's), brazil nuts and pecans based on the things I've read.

The consumption of dietary saturated fat does not increase blood serum cholesterol. This is a long-standing and oft-quoted myth.

And, in any case, cholesterol level (total, hdl, ldl, vldl ... whichever) isn't a reliable predictor for heart disease anyway.

Whodathunkit? :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I eat a small amount of them everyday. I get them raw. I soak them overnight in water. They are softer, taste better, easier to eat and digest. And sometimes they sprout. The healthy fats in them are good for us in moderation. They have lots of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin E and zinc (to name a few). Different kinds of nuts have different vitamins, so variety is good. They are good for your skin.