?: Doc says my boobs are too big to run?

Options

Replies

• gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This is me exactly, well it was me when I started really working out and I'm fine. I wear a good bra, not a sports bra and my bra size has gone down so win-win in my book. Obviously you have to listen to your body and have good form but how will you lose weight and drop sizes if you don't work out?
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had 34DDs at 160lbs and I have always had a sore back. I found compression sports bras make all the difference. My fav is Under Armour.

The other thing I'll suggest is back hyper extensions and deadlifts. These strength training exercises have done wonders on how my back supports me.

Good luck!

ETA: links to videos for those exercises
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/hyperextensions-back-extensions
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Get the lululemon TaTa Tamer bra - I've heard it does wonders for those bigger boobs.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That's a bunch of garbage..................
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how this conversation even came up with your doctor. Did you ask him/her about running? About your breast size? And, all advice I saw here is better then what you paid for from your doctor especially the firing them. Put on two bras and go run if you want!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is talking a load of old rubbish. I've been running for years and never had any such problems. I'm down to 171lbs and 36DD, but I was running for hours at a time at nearly 200lbs and 38E. Get a really good sports bra (I like Shock Absorber but you need to experiment with whether compression or support works best for your shape).

Professionally-fitted shoes, good running technique, cross-training and a gradual build up (C25K repeating weeks when necessary) will prevent any other problems.

That said running isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy it please feel free to go ahead, then go back to your doctor and show him/her the wonders it's done for your weight and health.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thats crazy talk. Get a great bra (or two, don't be afraid to wear more than one at a time) and run ur butt off. As long as you're supported I'd say go for it!
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    That is crazy I am spilling out of a 34DD and love running! Is your doc a man? Just double up on the bras. Try on lots and lots of them to make sure you find ones with a good supportive fit. Layer one on top of the other and do a quick jumping jack test. lol If they can hold you in place through a few jumping jacks then they will keep you supported on a jog. BTW I wear a cheap one from walmart that has the molded form to it on bottom with an expensive one over top and it works great. Hope that helps.
  • MumfordSL
    MumfordSL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you this, I am a size 36E (36DDD), I weigh 169Lbs at the moment. I have been running for years, I have completed four half marathons and one full marathon, plus other shorter runs and so far I have not suffered with any back problems even at my heaviest of 180Lbs. That said I do wear two bras and always have done. The one I wear closet to my skin is a high impack bra and the one I wear on the top is more of a low impact bra. So as long as you are comfortable, and your boobs are not bouncing around (which will hurt)too much go for it, and enjoy it. There are plenty of us large chested ladies out there having fun while running.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

Hi. I find your doctor's advice kind of ridiculous. I have a 38DDD chest, and weigh nearly 40 lbs more than you. I play two different sports that require lots of sprinting, jumping, running. tackling etc. I also run at least twice a week. With the right support in a sports bra, and by building up slowly to longer distances with your running you will do fine. Please don't let silly stereotypes or misconceptions hold you back from achieving your goals.
  • OnlyJustJen
    OnlyJustJen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am built exactly the same and I do not run because of my bad knees from the military; instead I speed walk! You can and will get the same results without hurting your body by running. HIgh impact exercise can take a toll on your body if you are not in shape and cause you to not be able to exercise. My chest has always been large even when I was in the military and running, but the difference is that I was in shape then and used to it. I still got grief from the guys, but whatever, I looked good and felt great! I do hope to get in shape and run again, but for now I am walking, swimming (when I can), hiking, pilates, and yoga, until I can get to where I feel strong enough to do high impact exercise. I wish you the best and be proactive in your health care and always get a second opinion!!! Doctors are just like the rest of us and their opinions vary just as much as ours!!!! Take your health into your own hands and make them earn their living!!! I wish you the best!!!!
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i started running in January this year with 38D. I have ran a 5K, the dirty girl mud run and plan on a 1/2 marathon in fall. My knee's were always making horrible noises, painful and giving out on me occasionally. Now they are strong, don't make noises and aren't painful anymore. Unfortunately my 38D is now 38C and i am down another 15 pounds since running. A good bra is a must running though! I have found the champion bras are very supportive and cheap. when i reach my ultimate goal i will invest in better ones. Not spending a lot on bras that wind up at goodwill because they are too big now! : )
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My doctor says with the size of my boobs (36D/34DD - depending on where I shop), and with my current weight (170 lb), that I should not run. She says that it will be too hard on my joints and my back.
    HOWEVER, I'm told that circuit training and running are the best way to lose weight - especially to get a flat tummy and nice lean legs... which... of course, is my ultimate goal.
    Any thoughts?

I have been started running about 5 years ago (off and on) and there really is nothing I enjoy more, I am getting ready to start a new program and I have a bigger chest than you do and my doctor never told me to worry (even when I was pregnant she said I was okay to continue since I was an established runner).

My suggestion is a great bra! I use the Fiona (and I swear by it) not overly pricy in comparison to others, it is $55 (in canada, don't know where you are) and I buy it at the running room. Worth every penny - if you want to run, a good bra is as important as a good pair of sneakers, for a woman any way.

Don't let your doctors advice deter you, if you want to start you are only going at your own pace anyway, just don't push when it doesn't feel right, I started with the walk/run program and eased into it that way.

Good Luck!:bigsmile:
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    I guess it depends on your body..I have natural dd's and I weigh 120 pounds.. I run everyday and have never had a single problem. You can always double up..or more on sports bras!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Negative!! You can run!! Just get a REAL, very supportive compression type sports bra. the bouncing is what will cause injury. Eleminate/minimize the bouncing and you're good to go!!

I would say this. Get a REALLY good sports bra to hold those suckers in. Get some good running shoes. Ease yourself into it. ;) If you do find it too difficult, slow your pace to a job or walk. :)
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Girl, please. I'm much bigger than that. And I can run. You just need to get better support bra. No excuses. But my back hurt anyway from all the extra weight ;-)))
  • Victorian131
    Options
    I agree with the majority of what is being said.
    I'm a 36DD, 163lbs and I have being doing c25k for a couple of weeks but have been running and doing circuits to keep fit for over a year.
    I broke my back 8 years ago and have had countless herniated disks since but I was told that the heavier I am the worse my back is so I agree with the short term pain for the long term gain. The more weight you lose the less stress will be on your joints and especially your back.
    What I tend to do is to wear a bra with a sports bra/running top as well which really helps as I do interval training (mainly c25k) every morning for half an hour.
    When I get in and the muscles in my back are tight around where my bra strap connects, I do shoulder curls and stretch my shoulder blades out and it really helps.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    With a quality high-impact sports bra you should be able to run. There are plenty of threads on this site about which brands are worth investing in, I hear Lululemon is popular.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There is a bra that is designed for us larger booby women. Of course I've drawn a total blank on the name, but google Oprah's favorite bra. It's not a pretty bra, but it totally works! It was the only bra I could wear and not have the girls bouncing everywhere...it's not cheap, but totally worth the money.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i'm a 36G, i was 178lbs when i started dieting and as long as you have a good sports bra, your boobs are completely fine! when i tried running or jumping without a sports bra it hurt, but when you invest in a good sports bra it completely goes away and you can do as much running, jumping and jiggling about as you want ;D