Some of the reasons why people don't lose

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
With multiple threads on people questioning why they can't lose weight, just thought I'd give some quick info. So here goes:

1. Inconsistency- Lack of being consistent on calorie intake, especially on the weekends. A couple of days of splurging (unless you're staying within your calorie deficit) WILL impede your progress.

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max.

3. You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

4. Not eating enough- Trust me when I say your body isn't stupid. It's sole purpose is to do what it need to to survive. Part of that is conserving enough energy for regular function. If you don't supply enough calories, it will lower metabolic rate. Don't just think eating the minimum is the ONLY way to lose.

5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

7. High expectations- thinking that just because you're on a 1000 calorie deficit a day, that a 2lbs loss is GUARANTEED. Weight loss isn't linear. Again, your body is much smarter than you think and will do what it needs to do to survive. Look to just losing 1% of your body weight a week and stay consistent. Not every week will be the same.

These are just some of the issues. I'm sure there are more, but these are just the common answers for most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nice love it!!!!
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info...helps alot !!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Great post. I personally know why I wasn't losing much weight and why I hit a plateau. I like junk food and my husband is a horrible influence when he's off on the weekends! lol That and I have lost a large amount of weight. The closer I get to goal, the harder it has been for me to lose weight so I've put the scale away for a while and will focus more on inches lost for a little while. ;)
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I have learned that anytime a topic keeps comming up and is bring discussed by different people, it's time to pay attention!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Great post! I agree with all of your points!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    bump
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Solid advice. Listen to this guy, people!!
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! :D
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Gotta add excessive alcohol to this list too. While drinking within your calorie range is doable, it's rare that I hear, "I drank just enough to NOT get a buzz." Once enough alcohol is in the system, inhibition goes out the door and excess calories pile up.
    Some can handle it, but with most clients I've had that like to party and drink, they have a much harder time losing weight even when their eating is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. Great read.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this information. I think a lot of people don't know this info or choose to overlook it in their weight loss ventures.

Thanks, again!
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    great info there, right on target :)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Great info...thanks for sharing!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    Darn you, ninerbuff. You had me at "Some," then you came back and added that last "Alcohol Amendment." I will blissfully ignore that one. :sad:

Great post.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for this! It is a great reminder to me to be consistant and try to cut out alcohol as well or I am never going to get anywhere!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think it is the weekend "break from logging" is what is doing me in.