Some of the reasons why people don't lose

Options

Replies

• melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this :happy: i think i have number 4 (to scared to increase as i havnt lost weight in a month on 1490 calories and gym 4-6 times a week) and i know i have 6 and 7.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    that sucks on the booze thing (LOL) but thank you for sharing you sound super knowledgable, i have to keep reminding myself about a lot of that..............
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Gotta add excessive alcohol to this list too. While drinking within your calorie range is doable, it's rare that I hear, "I drank just enough to NOT get a buzz." Once enough alcohol is in the system, inhibition goes out the door and excess calories pile up.
    Some can handle it, but with most clients I've had that like to party and drink, they have a much harder time losing weight even when their eating is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And this is my downfall :(

Mine, too. :/
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.
    I think this is my problem. I had no idea lack of sleep would do this. I currently get around 5 hours of sleep a day, but don't think it's enough for me. What if it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get more sleep due to my work schedule, etc.? Is there anything I can do to help myself relax without sleeping? Or is it a lost cause?

Hey I get you. What has helped me relax? Guided meditations you can download on iTunes. You are not a lost cause! Just search up "Splendor of Meditations" or the app "Buddhify", download them, put in your earbuds and meditate your pounds away.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.
    Sleep deprivation and sleep fragmentation (lack of quality sleep) leads to several hormonal changes - in as little as 24 hours - and can result in positive energy balance due to overeating and snacking.
    In addition to short sleep duration, reduced sleep quality is also associated with appetite control. The present study examined the effect of sleep fragmentation, independent of sleep duration, on appetite profiles and 24 h profiles of hormones involved in energy balance regulation. A total of twelve healthy male subjects (age 23 (sd 4) years, BMI 24·4 (sd 1·9) kg/m2) completed a 24 h randomised crossover study in which sleep (23.30-07.30 hours) was either fragmented or non-fragmented. Polysomnography was used to determine rapid-eye movement (REM) sleep, slow-wave sleep (SWS) and total sleep time (TST). Blood samples were taken at baseline and continued hourly for the 24 h period to measure glucose, insulin, ghrelin, leptin, glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and melatonin concentrations. In addition, salivary cortisol levels were measured. Visual analogue scales were used to score appetite-related feelings. Sleep fragmentation resulted in reduced REM sleep (69·4 min compared with 83·5 min; P < 0·05) and preservation of SWS without changes in TST. In fragmented v. non-fragmented sleep, glucose concentrations did not change, while insulin secretion was decreased in the morning, and increased in the afternoon (P < 0·05), and GLP-1 concentrations and fullness scores were lower (P < 0·05). After dinner, desire-to-eat ratings were higher after fragmented sleep (P < 0·05). A single night of fragmented sleep, resulting in reduced REM sleep, induced a shift in insulin concentrations, from being lower in the morning and higher in the afternoon, while GLP-1 concentrations and fullness scores were decreased. These results may lead to increased food intake and snacking, thus contributing to a positive energy balance.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22682471
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    bump because of all the "plateau" threads as of late
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

IDEA Fitness member

Lack of sleep is one of my downfalls. I average 5-6 hours a night. In a busy household, those late evenings are my time for relaxation and catching up on my hobbies. This is definitely something I have to make an effort to work on.

While I was concentrating mainly on food this week, I need to get my body moving a little more too. Thanks for the informative post.
  • socialdeee
    socialdeee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The part where u said:

You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

THATS ME! Im trying to lose 1lb a week to eventually lose 10 lbs, but its soo slow, 1st week i lost 0.4 pounds, second week i gained a pound (TOM) now im scared to weight myself this weekend! So im happy that actaully 1/4-1/2 pound loss is resonable for how much im trying to lose.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    so true!!!!
  • LadyRishworth
    LadyRishworth Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! :smile:
  • chica559
    Options
    Needless to say, I will be taking this into account when the going gets tough and I start freaking out. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    and bump
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    me too...bump....
  • Morenna
    Morenna Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with almost everything you wrote but I admit that I am quite confused about the 1/4 and 1/2 pund thing. I am a "metric " person and as far as I know 1 kg is about 2 lbs. 1/2 lb would make it 250 g and 1/4 would be 125 g. This is so little that ... it is like drinking a glass of watter or having a good session in the toilet. If one does not have an electronic scale it is not even possible to see such change at all. If I were to loose 125 g a week I would have given up ages ago and I lost 17 kg already! 0.5 kg a week is realistic in my opinion.

1/4 or 1/2 lbs. is not little at all. I just need to lose 4 lbs. more and is really hard :(
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    BUMP
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree with almost everything you wrote but I admit that I am quite confused about the 1/4 and 1/2 pund thing. I am a "metric " person and as far as I know 1 kg is about 2 lbs. 1/2 lb would make it 250 g and 1/4 would be 125 g. This is so little that ... it is like drinking a glass of watter or having a good session in the toilet. If one does not have an electronic scale it is not even possible to see such change at all. If I were to loose 125 g a week I would have given up ages ago and I lost 17 kg already! 0.5 kg a week is realistic in my opinion.

1/4 or 1/2 lbs. is not little at all. I just need to lose 4 lbs. more and is really hard :(
    Last pounds/kgs are the toughest. It's usually near the edge of where the body starts to resist any losses at all and can take months to complete. But this is where consistency comes into play. Get the body used to being at a certain weight without gaining, then eventually it will give up a little more fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sgh10
    sgh10 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing great info
  • karen8873
    karen8873 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great info, Thanks for sharing!
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Such a great post everyone should read!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I was searching for this type of information this morning.