Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Great reminders! Thanks .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

1. Inconsistency- Lack of being consistent on calorie intake, especially on the weekends. A couple of days of splurging (unless you're staying within your calorie deficit) WILL impede your progress.

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max.

3. You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

4. Not eating enough- Trust me when I say your body isn't stupid. It's sole purpose is to do what it need to to survive. Part of that is conserving enough energy for regular function. If you don't supply enough calories, it will lower metabolic rate. Don't just think eating the minimum is the ONLY way to lose.

5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

7. High expectations- thinking that just because you're on a 1000 calorie deficit a day, that a 2lbs loss is GUARANTEED. Weight loss isn't linear. Again, your body is much smarter than you think and will do what it needs to do to survive. Look to just losing 1% of your body weight a week and stay consistent. Not every week will be the same.

dear ninerbuff-
    i am consistent, I have a huge variety of activities I do, I am comfy at 10 lbs lighter, but 'the equations' say I should weigh 30-40 lbs less, I eat healthy & plenty but not too much, I sleep pretty well all things considered, I am definitely not new to training, and my expectations are reasonable. Where do hormones fit in here (which is what i'm pretty sure my prob is) and how do I modify to affect THEM?
    frustratedly yours, CK
    Since everything in the body is a chemical reaction, hormones play a direct part. Imbalance will lead to more effort for those that have it, compared to those that don't. Suggest seeing your physician to see if levels are correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I also need to mention this since I saw it this morning: LACK OF INTENSITY. People who just go through the motions of a workout with little intensity shouldn't expect maximal results. If you can do 10 reps with a weight and not even struggle, then intensity is lacking. If you can run on treadmill for 30 minutes and barely breath hard, then intensity may be too low.
    Lots of people don't workout as hard as they think and it will have an impact on your goals.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just love your posts. You're direct and to the point.......you KNOW what you're talking about and dont put others down. I personally thank you for that.

I see 2 things I need to work on.

1) I need to push myself a little harder
    2) be prepared to kick it up a notch.
    I admit to being a sissy when it hurts (more than my normal hurt that is)

.......make that 3 things
    3) I NEED to sleep more (and I have no clue how to accomplish that)

Thanks "Niner"
  • northernbeaver
    Options
    bump
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I also need to mention this since I saw it this morning: LACK OF INTENSITY. People who just go through the motions of a workout with little intensity shouldn't expect maximal results. If you can do 10 reps with a weight and not even struggle, then intensity is lacking. If you can run on treadmill for 30 minutes and barely breath hard, then intensity may be too low.
    Lots of people don't workout as hard as they think and it will have an impact on your goals.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah. I think this one may be number one... honest with yourself. As far as calories burned and food eaten. Investing in the basic tools that help and keep you honest... e.g., food scale and HRM.

Reminds me of a time a few years ago... a friend of mine saw me "working out" on my exercise bike. He said... "what are you doing? you're hardly moving? you gotta put in more effort than that." ---- and it pissed me off! ---- and he was right. I wasn't putting the effort in at all. I was going thru the motions just to say "I did it", which was beyond stupid of me. Although, at that time, I must admit, I really didn't care to lose weight... it was others that cared that I lose weight. Now... I care and I do it for me. So I can understand that it may take a bit to be honest with oneself. But when you do it for you, I think you always will be.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump thxs
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you for posting!! I only have 5 to 10 more lbs to reach goal and it's taking FOREVER!! :laugh:
  • morgansmom29
    morgansmom29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    bump
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Morethanwillpower12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you really hit home with the comment about weekends. I do so well during the week and the weekend hits and its like a mad dash to the nearest restaurant to fill up on all of the yummy stuff I haven't had all week :( I know I have to get this under control. Thanks for the post.
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your expertise. So helpful! :)
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Some consistency with caloric intake is definitely important, but I also believe that varying intake and purposely going over or staying lower can keep your metabolism alert and working.
    But of course I'm not talking about eating 1000 calories one day and bingeing 2000+calories on top of that the next day!

There are several roads leading to rome; the key is just knowing that there is no single rigid road that is right for everyone and you have to choose the path that fits YOU.
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Some consistency with caloric intake is definitely important, but I also believe that varying intake and purposely going over or staying lower can keep your metabolism alert and working.
    But of course I'm not talking about eating 1000 calories one day and bingeing 2000+calories on top of that the next day!

There are several roads leading to rome; the key is just knowing that there is no single rigid road that is right for everyone and you have to choose the path that fits YOU.
    Metabolism is always alert and working (unless one suffers from a metabolic issue). Differences in food intake usually balance out in the end since you need to be in caloric deficit to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member