Grammar pet peeves

Options

Replies

• MouthyMatthewCHANGED
    Options
    I'm sorry to say something against what you're talking about. But there are likely people here with learning disabilities that may be hurt by what you're saying here. Also there could be people here that english is not their first language.

Finding specific examples of folks who are somehow remain victimized by their education or laziness or ability doesn't make having pet peeves a bad thing.

Most people can tell with somebody is struggling through, honestly. Most people will be helpful and graceful. Over the course of my 99 years I met people from literally the world-over. When they speak english to me, I show them grace and understanding and appreciation. When I speak Russian, or Arabic, or Germany, Or whatever to them, they return the grace.

Even the most 'learning disabled' person can learn if they care enough. This thread isn't to poke fun of, but to encourage folks to try a little bit harder to be well-spoken/written.

With my tongue firmly in my cheek, I could point out that to a begin a thread regarding grammar ought to imply being 100% accurate in one's own postings ;-)

In the reply, above:

* "world-over" should not have a hyphen
    * "Germany" should read German
    * "Or whatever" should be or whatever
    * "Learning disabled person" should be learning-disabled person

Just saying ;-)
  • 1MandM1
    1MandM1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The worst one for me is "I could care less". I don't know how much more to stress it, if you COULD care less then you obviously DO care, thus you're not saying what you mean when you say "I could care less".

This!
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    I'm sorry to say something against what you're talking about. But there are likely people here with learning disabilities that may be hurt by what you're saying here. Also there could be people here that english is not their first language.

Finding specific examples of folks who are somehow remain victimized by their education or laziness or ability doesn't make having pet peeves a bad thing.

Most people can tell with somebody is struggling through, honestly. Most people will be helpful and graceful. Over the course of my 99 years I met people from literally the world-over. When they speak english to me, I show them grace and understanding and appreciation. When I speak Russian, or Arabic, or Germany, Or whatever to them, they return the grace.

Even the most 'learning disabled' person can learn if they care enough. This thread isn't to poke fun of, but to encourage folks to try a little bit harder to be well-spoken/written.

With my tongue firmly in my cheek, I could point out that to a begin a thread regarding grammar ought to imply being 100% accurate in one's own postings ;-)

In the reply, above:

* "world-over" should not have a hyphen
    * "Germany" should read German
    * "Or whatever" should be or whatever
    * "Learning disabled person" should be learning-disabled person

Just saying ;-)

Jumpin on the band wagon.... why is there a capital after a comma.....

Yours Crankily,

Grammar Nazi. :)
  • 3dgbern
    3dgbern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Axe instead of ask.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I feel your pain. (hug)
    The worst one for me is "I could care less". I don't know how much more to stress it, if you COULD care less then you obviously DO care, thus you're not saying what you mean when you say "I could care less".

Ah this has always annoyed me. I have always said "I couldn't care less" (which makes total sense, right?) and people always correct me...
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thing but I really hate "dis" and "dat" it grates on me so bad!! It's "this" and "that." Another thing is people who pronounce "three" as "free" and "the" as "vuh" if that makes sense? Makes me wanna scream haha
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    too, to, and two
    bye, buy, and by
    there, they're, and their
    Your and you're << probably my biggest one
    Where and wear

All of the above (especially there, their & they're)
    However I live in Newport (South Wales) where they say things like "where to is you?" and "who's coat is that jacket?"...there are so many more it's not funny!
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people write "should have" as "should of". They are clearly hearing "Should've" and writing complete crap.

This needs to stop. I hate it. It's an epidemic among young people.
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    I hate it when people write "should have" as "should of". They are clearly hearing "Should've" and writing complete crap.

This needs to stop. I hate it. It's an epidemic among young people.

AGREE!
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I haven't read them all so i apologise if this one has been said.

I HATE HATE HATE when people say they give 110%. You can only give 100%. If you think you are now giving 110% then you weren't really giving 100% before. I don't know why but it really really annoys me.

probably not a grammar thing but it really bugs me.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    "...and I"

"here's a photo of my friend and I."

Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard. "Here is a photo of my friend and me" is the right way.

Confusing anxious with eager.

"I am anxious to go to the carnival!" - I want to ask "Why the anxiety? have you never been? Something there going to scare you?"

"I am eager to go to the carnival" - Me too! Will be fun!

What are some of your grammar pet peeves?

There are times where it should be "and I"...so my pet peeve would be making absolutes when a lot of grammar is anything but black and white...there are exceptions and variations to almost every rule.
  • MouthyMatthewCHANGED
    Options

I HATE HATE HATE when people say they give 110%. You can only give 100%. If you think you are now giving 110% then you weren't really giving 100% before. I don't know why but it really really annoys me.

That's been a bug bear of mine for quite some time. If you've ever watched the UK's X Factor then you'll see some particularly bad examples. Last year they reached the ridiculous heights of putting people through their auditions with "one million percent yes".

Still, they can't be *that* good. If they were, then surely they'd have been given ten million percent. Nothing less will do.
  • Livnlife2
    Livnlife2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. (hug)

Ah this has always annoyed me. I have always said "I couldn't care less" (which makes total sense, right?) and people always correct me...

This is probably my biggest pet peeve. That being said, I know that my grammar is far from perfect but I try. I never know whether to use affect or effect, who or whom, and I'm sure there are a few others. I read this post with interest because I am always trying to learn (remember) the correct way of saying things. Thanks to all that have posted here with correct grammar.
  • MouthyMatthewCHANGED
    Options
    "...and I"

Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard. "Here is a photo of my friend and me" is the right way.

"I am anxious to go to the carnival!" - I want to ask "Why the anxiety? have you never been? Something there going to scare you?"

There are times where it should be "and I"...so my pet peeve would be making absolutes when a lot of grammar is anything but black and white...there are exceptions and variations to almost every rule.

Yes there are many examples of when "and I" is correct, but there is never an exception as to when that time is.

The cast-iron rule is this: take the other person out of the equation, and use whatever term is correct when you're on your own.

For example:

"I am going to the park". So, if you were going with your friend, you would say "My friend and I are going to the park". You wouldn't say "Me and my friend are going to the park", because on your own, you would never say "Me am going to the park".

It's a rule which is always and without fail 100% accurate.

With the initial poster's post, it would be correct to say to someone "This is a photograph of me". You should never say "This is a photograph of I", which sounds simply ridiculous anyway. And therefore, if there is someone else on that same photo, you would say "This is a photograph of my dog and me", not "This is a photo of my dog and I".

It really is a very easy rule to follow and, once understood, makes complete sense.
  • Livnlife2
    Livnlife2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh and as well as the affect/effect mix-ups, there's also the practice (noun) against practise (verb).

"I went to tennis practice to practise my tennis"

Looked practise/practice up in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and it shows practice as a noun or a verb. I think it can be used either way.
  • MouthyMatthewCHANGED
    Options
    Oh and as well as the affect/effect mix-ups, there's also the practice (noun) against practise (verb).

"I went to tennis practice to practise my tennis"

Looked practise/practice up in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and it shows practice as a noun or a verb. I think it can be used either way.

Ah it seems it's yet another Americanism:

http://grammarist.com/spelling/practice-practise/

It would appear that in nearly all English-speaking countries it's different, but North America doesn't make the distinction. Yet another dilution of the English language :grumble:
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    "...and I"

From Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anxious):

Definition of ANXIOUS

: characterized by extreme uneasiness of mind or brooding fear about some contingency : worried <anxious parents>
    : characterized by, resulting from, or causing anxiety : worrying <an anxious night>
    : ardently or earnestly wishing <anxious to learn more>
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Whenever anyone tells me they are going to give 110% / 200% / 1,000% I simply state that won't be enough if they are up against someone willing to give 120% / 300% / 2,000%. It usually makes them think about it.
  • IrishDaveRed
    Options
    Oh and to those of you who've mentioned the "could care less" against the "couldn't care less", I looked into that a while ago.

I quite agree that the saying only makes sense if you say "I couldn't care less", and this was the original saying. But, apparently, it's something of an Americanism whereby "I could care less" was deemed a 'softer' or 'less offensive' thing to say, and as it's therefore being said in more and more films via Hollywood, the (incorrect) saying is spreading.

But I wholly agree that to say "I could care less" implies that you must care to some degree if you're able to care less than you currently do now. Whereas "I couldn't care less" means that you're already at rock bottom and really couldn't give a **** ;-)

I always assumed this came from people saying things like "Sorry, you are confusing me with someone who cares" etc and then would say "Sorry, do you really think I could care less?" which eventually became "I could care less." But just me guessing.
  • IrishDaveRed
    Options

Besides, spelling and grammar are two different things. Spellng errors are not grammatical errors.

^^^^agreed

But I did work with a guy, senior to me, who got upset when I pointed out he didn't want to suggest our customers compliment their existing portfolio but rather would like to complement it. He argued so vocally, to the point it became a bad situation. I didn't want our firm's name on top of such a mistake but he clearly didn't want a junior guy correcting him.

Funnier was when another colleague stood up in the middle of typically (for that office) right wing ranting session to point out that he was deep down, really a "libertine." I was s******ing away as he was standing up, proudly announcing this to the whole office. He laughed too when I sent him the definition of libertine and Libertarian. I think he might have considered himself both. :)