Grammar pet peeves

Options

Replies

• danabromley
    danabromley Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say something against what you're talking about. But there are likely people here with learning disabilities that may be hurt by what you're saying here. Also there could be people here that english is not their first language.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My biggest grammar pet peeve is when people derail a conversation to criticize someone's minor grammar mistakes instead of actually addressing the argument at hand. This especially irritates me when the person who made the mistake actually has thoughtful things to say and maybe just isn't very good at spelling.

Besides, spelling and grammar are two different things. Spellng errors are not grammatical errors.

Also, linguistic descriptivism is elitist. A lot of supposed grammatical "errors" are intentional cultural signifiers that have been developed by a group as part of the process of identity formation.

spelling*
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My biggest grammar pet peeve is when people derail a conversation to criticize someone's minor grammar mistakes instead of actually addressing the argument at hand. This especially irritates me when the person who made the mistake actually has thoughtful things to say and maybe just isn't very good at spelling.

Besides, spelling and grammar are two different things. Spellng errors are not grammatical errors.

Also, linguistic descriptivism is elitist. A lot of supposed grammatical "errors" are intentional cultural signifiers that have been developed by a group as part of the process of identity formation.

spelling*

:flowerforyou:
  • rebsgee
    rebsgee Posts: 19
    Options

Most of the examples that have been given on this thread are spelling errors. I am so glad that someone else has pointed out that spelling errors are not grammatical errors!
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say something against what you're talking about. But there are likely people here with learning disabilities that may be hurt by what you're saying here. Also there could be people here that english is not their first language.

Finding specific examples of folks who are somehow remain victimized by their education or laziness or ability doesn't make having pet peeves a bad thing.

Most people can tell with somebody is struggling through, honestly. Most people will be helpful and graceful. Over the course of my 99 years I met people from literally the world-over. When they speak english to me, I show them grace and understanding and appreciation. When I speak Russian, or Arabic, or Germany, Or whatever to them, they return the grace.

Even the most 'learning disabled' person can learn if they care enough. This thread isn't to poke fun of, but to encourage folks to try a little bit harder to be well-spoken/written.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

So they will learn something new. I haven't read any comments that were directed at any specific individual. We are just discussing common mistakes.

In my experience most of the people making these errors just don't care. Which is their perogative (sp).

I would also bet that most the people commenting here don't correct people in real life. We are just venting on the internet. Cause sometimes it seems like that's what it's here for.

I'm also fairly certain I've made at least one grammatical error in this response. I'm aware that I'm not perfect. Doesn't mean I don't have my share of irritations.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this link recently on my Facebook wall. Some of you will find lots of humor here:

http://blog.grammarly.com/
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that I'm a writer. You can imagine how large my list is...my editor's is even longer. ;)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My best friend is Vietnamese...they ask him if he is "Oriental". His standard answer is, "I'm not a ****#!!#" rug!"
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    ...my editor's is even longer. ;)

Wait. Are we still talking about grammar?
  • rebsgee
    rebsgee Posts: 19
    Options
    ...my editor's is even longer. ;)

Wait. Are we still talking about grammar?

Haha! Things always go south!
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
    Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I read that perfectly. I'm dyslexic also...or is that I'm dyslexic too...
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Finding specific examples of folks who are somehow remain victimized by their education or laziness or ability doesn't make having pet peeves a bad thing.

Most people can tell with somebody is struggling through, honestly. Most people will be helpful and graceful. Over the course of my 99 years I met people from literally the world-over. When they speak english to me, I show them grace and understanding and appreciation. When I speak Russian, or Arabic, or Germany, Or whatever to them, they return the grace.

Even the most 'learning disabled' person can learn if they care enough. This thread isn't to poke fun of, but to encourage folks to try a little bit harder to be well-spoken/written.

Geez, now I am wondering how many times I have written something to you and I used the wrong grammar. My bad. :)
  • bahlquist
    Options
    a lot two words
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
    Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Lol i dont know unless microsoft word corrects me and I cant get it on the ipad! Booooo:laugh:

I read that perfectly. I'm dyslexic also...or is that I'm dyslexic too...
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I hate when people type "ya'll" when it is really "y'all." Boorish.

:laugh:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    funny-Grammar-Learn-I-Must...1.jpg
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Your going to love this one -- it bothers me when people use your instead of you're.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It seems like everywhere I go on the interwebs lately, everyone is using "your" where there should be a "you're."

Like, "Your awesome gurly!" And then I just want to punch them in "there" face.

It drives me insane! Why are people so freaking lazy! It's like two extra keystrokes!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options

spelling*

What, is there something wrong with my spllg?