Grammar pet peeves

Options

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    on the lose/loose argument, most kids that were in grammar school in the mid to late 80's were taught to read phonetically. so when you hear the word lose, it's o sounds like a u. they were taught that two o's sounds like u. so they use the word loose.

i deal with this on a regular basis, trying to figure out what my route guys are talking about because everything is phonetic. not really their fault. we could all be a little nicer to those who had crummy schooling.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I meant 'always' and I used it as an exaggeration.

Who is doing the always? me? Others? Always? Is that really what you mean? I haven't noticed one since joining the forum...so maybe 'frequently' makes more sense?
    Also, your usage of an ellipsis is improper, sir. :wink:

Okay...that's kinda hot. Thank you ma'am.

:-)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    THE WORD IS LOSE! NOT LOOSE! YOU CANNOT LOOSE 10 POUNDS! That drives me batshnit crazy.

Joke Mode = on:

Oh yeah? Watch me turn-LOOSE MY 10lbs (zippppppppppppppppp)

:D

:p

Joke Mode = off.

:laugh: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Jokes!

I am a bad speller and not good at grammar but at least I TRY to speak English. LOL

2008-11-10-ninjas_hate_bad_grammar.jpg
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD!! Second is your and you're. People forget there are two of them...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    too, to, and two
    bye, buy, and by
    there, they're, and their
    Your and you're << probably my biggest one
    Where and wear

This. Definitely. Oh and there's no A in the word definite. :/
  • Sharmanlyne
    Sharmanlyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!! - Is it okay for me to use that acronym?
  • chocl8girl
    Options
    When someone says, "SupposABLey" :noway:

My youngest says has gotten into the habit of saying this, I am presuming from friends at school, and you have NO IDEA how much it bugs me, and how hard I have been trying to turn that around...lol
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When someone experiences a death in their family and eveyrone on FB posts "Sorry for your losT." OMG.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Seen...

"I seen this new program..."

I hear this at work... by professionals, regulary.
  • chocl8girl
    Options
    IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD!! Second is your and you're. People forget there are two of them...

Irregardless IS actually a real word, it is just a non-standard word that is used incorrectly in many cases.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    When people say "I want that so bad!" or "That hurt so bad!"

It's BADLY, people... it hurt BADLY! Not BAD

Oh, and people not knowing how to use an appostrophe properly (the difference between multiple, possessive and contractions). Particularly as it relates to dates (eg. it is the 1970s, not 1970's... PLURAL, not possessive!!!!) ACK!!!

Yes, okay.... me = anal!
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    When people put more or most in front of words that already have an -er or -est suffix
    ie - Most funniest
    [/quote]

Same here. Im trying to teach my 17 year old that. Apparently the school system is not!!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Myriad! It is almost never used properly. It's not a myriad of things. It's myriad things. Use it like "several..." Not like "boatload"...
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
    Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    "I seen..."
    No, not 'seen'. Saw. You saw.

I think this is an Eastern United States thing. I'm from the Mid Atlantic region and its huge over here. Makes my teeth itch.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I get all hot when people use "there, their, and they're" properly...

Well they're you go

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when people say Pacific instead of specific. One is an ocean.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
    Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I've read this before, and yeah it is pretty neat, unfortunately words that comprise of the same letters are elluding me right now, though I suppose it can still be discerned through context.