Grammar pet peeves

Options

Replies

• PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    It bugs me when people say Pacific instead of specific. One is an ocean.

I must say that is one I have never seen/read before. I am not good at grammar OBVIOUSLY but that is beyond grammar issues to me. HA HA
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    As educated as I am with ADHD and being dyslexic grammar and spelling is always a challenge. Homonyms are the devil everything sounds the same is spelled the same in my head so I often get them wrong when in a hurry. Even when I use Microsoft Word it does not catch words spell right but in the wrong context.
    I know it is a peeve to many but my pet peeve is when someone sees bad grammar or spelling as ignorance. Simple is not always the case every time. It is bad enough I have to pre apologize before some journaling to people who have these peeves. I understand it but can’t relate. Pretty sure I made mistakes with this too. I did just say I was dyslexic. LOL

:flowerforyou:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    there they're their... it be awelwright.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    "I feel nauseous."

This means you feel you give off a nauseous odor!

The correct way is "I feel nauseated."

I believe the word for which you were searching might be "noxious", although it looks like either might apply, now that I look up the definitions:

nau·seous/ˈnôSHəs/
    Adjective:
    1.Affected with nausea; inclined to vomit.
    2.Causing nausea; offensive to the taste or smell.

nox·ious/ˈnäkSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant: "they were overcome by the noxious fumes".

I have to say, though, I've never before heard anyone refer to "nauseous" odors. It seems I've learned something new today! Who says MFP can't be educational? :ohwell:
  • moxiecowgirl
    Options
    I just went back to work after my lunch break and opened my email. The very first email I received contained the following sentence:

"Another store received their new order but there manuals were thrown out. "

*screams maniacally and shambles off into the wilderness, muttering something that sounds like "I can't take it!"
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Myriad! It is almost never used properly. It's not a myriad of things. It's myriad things. Use it like "several..." Not like "boatload"...

^This, definitely. (While we're at it, it's spelled definitely, NOT definately, or defiantly.)

Apostrophe misuse is hands down the worst offense, in my opinion. I've been seeing it in social media, on handwritten signs at places of business, even in news articles online. Apostrophes are meant for contractions and possessives, never for plural nouns. However, because it's starting to be picked up as "normal" by so many people, I fear that in my lifetime adding an apostrophe ess could become an accepted alternate way of indicating a plural. I hope this never, ever happens.

Another (hilarious) peeve is the unnecessary use of quotation marks around nouns on signs advertising products. There is no way I'm ever going to buy something called "Sushi" or "Dairy product" or "Deodorant." Quotation marks on signs like these look like scare quotes, which indicate sarcasm. Ew.

Homonym errors and "alot" go without saying.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Grammar: the differerence between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten* !
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Myriad! It is almost never used properly. It's not a myriad of things. It's myriad things. Use it like "several..." Not like "boatload"...

Actually, it can be used either way ;D

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/myriad.html
    Grammar: the differerence between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten* !

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

"Let's eat, Grandma" vs "Let's eat Grandma" — punctuation, it saves lives.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    i would rather cuddle then have sex.

grammar nazis know what I mean.
  • moxiecowgirl
    Options
    I would rather have sex, then cuddle.

grammar nazis know what I mean.

There you go. Fixed that for you. :flowerforyou:
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anything with an apostrophe where there shouldn't be... drives me wild!! :explode:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    It bugs me when people say Pacific instead of specific. One is an ocean.

I hear that too and it drives me nuts. And when people say they want to drink an expresso instead of an espresso. There's no X in there, stop it. :laugh:
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good and well.

"Man, I lifted those weights so good!"

Also, not pacifically *cough* with grammar, but the phrase "I know right" kills me!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Using "them" instead of "those", "they" or "their".
    "Them guys have a great time", "Them have a great deal today.".
    ARGH - NO!!!
    THOSE guys have a great time. (in terms of a general description of a group of people)
    THEY have a great deal today.
    It makes me want to scream.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    you're and your
    there, their, and they're

EDIT: And the misspelling of TOMORROW when people put an A in there. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    "martini's for sale"
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUHGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHGHGH i hate that.

ps - if you're real obsessed with the whole "and I" thing... just say "Jim and I posed for this photo." :-)

also, everyone ranting on here... listen to the lexicon valley podcast, you'll love it!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    "I seen..."
    No, not 'seen'. Saw. You saw.

I think this is an Eastern United States thing. I'm from the Mid Atlantic region and its huge over here. Makes my teeth itch.

Oh yes...this drives me crazy as well...
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    THE WORD IS LOSE! NOT LOOSE! YOU CANNOT LOOSE 10 POUNDS! That drives me batshnit crazy.

THIS!!!
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    THE WORD IS LOSE! NOT LOOSE! YOU CANNOT LOOSE 10 POUNDS! That drives me batshnit crazy.

AMEN