Why is it cheaper to eat unhealthfully...

First off...im not sure that "unhealthfully" is a word...but, as the subject states: Why is it so much cheaper to eat crap than it is to buy healthy foods and prepare them yourself? You can go to McDonalds and buy a cheeseburger and fries for a lot cheaper than going to the grocery store and buying foods to make a meal. It just aggravates me...

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    More people want to eat badly. Supply and demand.

Also, the whole reason that those bad foods exist to begin with is because they're cheaper to manufacture than real, whole foods.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    When I visited America I found that grocery stores overcharge by a lot. $1.50 for a single green pepper? Yeah, ok, I got a 4-pack for $1.29 at home (Canada) yesterday! :grumble:

Try a farmer's market. You'll have to shop on pre-scheduled days, but you'll actually pay reasonable prices for good, wholesome food.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    $20 of veges and chicken will go a lot further at the supermarket than at MacDonalds.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    It's actually much much much cheaper to eat wholesome healthy foods. It will just take you a While to figure it out. It seems like a learning curve everyone has to go through.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    So many reasons. Filler being the big one. Chemicals and things like resin of wood fiber are cheap. Also varies greatly depending on location. For instance you pay 6$ for a gallon of milk in Alaska and buy a 50lb fresh salmon for the same price.

So many things get factored into food cost. Manufacturing, shipping, storage, the list goes on. Remember, depending on location and time of year that "fresh" produce you're buying could have started life in South America or?

The long term benefit to eating healthy is well worth the short term price though.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    It's actually much much much cheaper to eat wholesome healthy foods. It will just take you a While to figure it out. It seems like a learning curve everyone has to go through.

I agree with this

Chicken breast, oats, rice, beans, lentils all cheap
  • RainHoward

I agree with this

There are entire websites and blogs dedicated to learning how to shop and eat healthy, fresh foods from the local grocery store. Some of them are well worth reading.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    cheaper in the beginning, yes, but not in the long run.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The cheapest I discovered - though I'll bet prices went up.

Oh, I could do this at healthy weight, after a big ride, and really needed it too.

4 Little Debbie's at convenience store, the 50 cent size. Almost 2000 calories. 2 bucks for day's worth of calories.

Energy was about all they gave. And high and super low blood sugar.

Dunkin sticks, oatmeal cream pie, fudge round, star, brownie.

Oh man, where's my car keys!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I'm sorry but I disagree with this. It is so much less expensive to eat well and take care of ones self. Medications and medical care for weight related issues far exceed the cost of buying decent quality food that is nutritious and delicious.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    When I visited America I found that grocery stores overcharge by a lot. $1.50 for a single green pepper? Yeah, ok, I got a 4-pack for $1.29 at home (Canada) yesterday! :grumble:

Try a farmer's market. You'll have to shop on pre-scheduled days, but you'll actually pay reasonable prices for good, wholesome food.

Thank you!! It's freaking ridiculous!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

I agree with this

This girl knows what she's talking about. A meal costs me less than $1 on average
  • It all depends what you buy. I can get enough beans, brown rice, and tofu to make lunches/dinners for a week for about $10. :) Then oats, bananas, and peanut butter for breakfasts/snacks for another $6. (I eat a lot more, this is just a general statement haha)
  • I went to a diet clinic when first looking into this "lifestyle" change $1000 got you 2 diets shakes daily for 6 weeks, 2 diet bars and a 550 calorie dinner pre-packaged daily. Well lets just say Math is my favorite subject $45 buys you months worth of 2 shakes a day at Walmart. The average price for a diet bar when bought in a box on sale with a coupon comes down to around $0.30 each I love Snickers Marathon or Energy Bars. I can pick a total daily calorie level and deduct the shakes and bars and eat the remaining calories from food. This simple Math has had awesome results - I went a bit quick because I gained 60 lbs in 2 yrs - I did 800 calories a day for 2 months with 1000 calorie workout lost 59 lbs. Too drastic for most people.

I find if my son and I go to McDonalds or out for a pizza its about $10-15 easily. If we stay in a meal costs about $4-5 just need to be frugal. My market marks down its meats Monday and Friday am s on average so I shop on way into work spend $15-20 at a time but get turkey breast, chicken, pork, sausage sometimes for a treat lean, ground chicken and turkey. I don't eat steaks that often, have even gotten lamb once marketed down from $11 a pack to $4. I plan meals around what I find on sale - we have 3 main markets here and in neighbooring town they are all in a triangle next to each other so I shop there leave car in one spot and walk between them all buying the sale items. My $1 store has a frozen section has mixed bags of fruit 45 calories / serving 1/2 a bag I add this to the diet shakes in blender with an ice cube to make a smoothy every morning - was never a breakfast eater this helps get going right.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    I hear what you're saying. I think you just didn't state it well with the McDonald's reference.

Yes, if you're struggling to get by it's a lot easier and cheaper to make a family meal from a 99 cent box of mac and cheese then it is to work the produce section, let alone the organic part.

However, if you learn to shop in bulk instead of on demand, learn to cook in bulk and preserve, it gets easier. But, more importantly, if you can break away from the cravings for the bad stuff completely it gets even easier. I don't want the mac and cheese cuz it's crap. But even more important, I don't want the cheese - mac or not - cuz it's major crap. So yay! I can now leave the dairy behind. More money for the good stuff.

But even beyond that, if you truly, truly want to advocate for your own health and your body - and your family - stop even considering things like McDonalds. If you truly want to advocate, don't eat anything you didn't make yourself. Drive through is for banking, not nutrition.
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Big agriculture companies and chemical/pesticide companies get huge government subsidies to keep their products cheap, plentiful and profitable.

Corn, soy and dairy, for example, are HEAVILY subsidized. That's why you get asked if you want cheese on your burger, that's why there's high-fructose corn syrup in everything, and that's why people aren't aware of the ACTUAL cost of their food and are surprised and daunted by the costs of organics.

Fast food ingredients (including all processed sugars, wheat, corn, and factory-farmed meats) are kept artificially cheap for the consumer because our taxes support government subsidies that keep them that way.
  • RainHoward
    It all depends what you buy. I can get enough beans, brown rice, and tofu to make lunches/dinners for a week for about $10. :) Then oats, bananas, and peanut butter for breakfasts/snacks for another $6. (I eat a lot more, this is just a general statement haha)
    And how much do you spend on toilet paper in a month?? Ha, I jest, sort of.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    I've found that it's cheaper... I bought a $12 pack of organic chicken which is enough for at least 4 meals. I would've spent that on ONE large meal of fast food.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    in the long run it is actually cheaper to cook at home take where i work for instance for $32 that will generally feed a family of 3-4 depending on whether its breakfast lunch or dinner and what you drink where as at home i can feed the same number of ppl for $20 or less and usually there are left overs it just seems like its more expensive at the grocery store
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    taking good care of yourself and your body is priceless. I no longer eat fast food because my body feel terrible after I eat it. Quality of life in the long run. Cooking your own food also goes a very long way towards your health and nutrician, and knowing what is actually in your food is also important. I don't buy that people don't have the time. You can prepare food for a week in one evening if you are organized enough. If it matters enough to you, you will find a way.