Why is it cheaper to eat unhealthfully...

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    One way I keep myself from eating that chocolate cake is I remind myself that yes it cost less than fresh raspberries, but when I am paying for diabetes supplies I will have wished I ate the raspberries.:smile:
  • Healthy eating on a budget takes more planning, but it is possible. The cost of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, orthopedic problems, sleep apnea, and other obesity-related diseases is still much higher than the cost of a healthy diet.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Everybody (or most) are missing the point!

A package of 93% lean ground beef is MORE EXPENSIVE than the same size package of 80% lean beef.
    A package of multigrain or whole wheat bread is more expensive than a loaf of White wonder bread.
    A gallon of skim milk is more expensive than a gallon of whole milk.

These are straight up facts - same package sizes, but cheaper for the "less healthy" items.
    How can you say that isn't true??

I am not talking about how much it costs overall to feed my family with healthy foods, vs. fast food.
    I'm talking about the one-to-one comparision of buying these healthy items vs. unhealthier items.

That's nowhere near the original comparison, but I'll bite.

80% vs 93% ground beef - drain it, or cook it in a way that the fat can be removed (skillet cook it before putting it in baked dishes, grill it, etc). Also, if you're in an area with (non-factory) farms nearby, you can get far, far better meat (in fat content and quality), for cheap, because you can buy it direct from the farmers or butchers.
    Multigrain vs White - I'm not sure I'd even classify Wonder bread as actually being food, but aside from that... last time I was at Aldi (which, granted, has been a while), wheat bread was only about 10-20 cents more than white bread. There's also the option to make your own. Seriously, bread is dead simple to make - yeast, sugar, flour, water - mix together, let rise, bake. Want whole wheat bread? Buy whole wheat flour.
    Skim vs whole milk - again, I've never seen more than about a 30 cent difference. And that depends on the state (in some states, milk prices are regulated; in PA, skim milk ($3.27-$3.48) is cheaper than whole milk ($3.64-$3.85) - http://www.mmb.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pricing_information/4744 ). If you're so poor that you're sweating over a 30 cent difference on milk, then perhaps you should be looking at canned or powdered milk (or rethinking your milk usage altogether; the same goes for bread).

And yep, I've been there. Most of my family is still there (my mom, as well as my aunt and uncle, hover in that no-man's land where they make too much for assistance programs, but not enough to really get away from living paycheck to paycheck). They've handled it by cooking at home, growing their own stuff and/or getting food from other growers, and doing crazy things with coupons (my aunt is borderline extreme couponer; most of the stuff, I personally wouldn't eat, but I can't deny her effectiveness on getting stuff that they eat for literally next to nothing).

80% lean beef is DISGUSTING. If you are trying to eat healthy, draining the fat from it is not enough. And who is going to start making their own bread every week? Should we buy cows and make our own milk and butter too??

I'm not saying that there aren't ways around the price differences, I am just trying to point out that there are clear differences in price between the healthy and unhealthy food options in the GROCERY STORE. I'd say the majority of people don't have access to non-factory farms or cheap farmer's markets. We have to shop at the local grocery store chains, and have no choice on the prices. Sure, I could drive 40 miles to a farmer's market, but I'm not saving money when I need to pay for my gas.
  • CM9178
    Healthy eating on a budget takes more planning, but it is possible. The cost of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, orthopedic problems, sleep apnea, and other obesity-related diseases is still much higher than the cost of a healthy diet.
    If I see this one more time, I think I may throw up.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member

A package of 93% lean ground beef is MORE EXPENSIVE than the same size package of 80% lean beef.
    A package of multigrain or whole wheat bread is more expensive than a loaf of White wonder bread.

These are straight up facts - same package sizes, but cheaper for the "less healthy" items.

I am not talking about how much it costs overall to feed my family with healthy foods, vs. fast food.
    I'm talking about the one-to-one comparision of buying these healthy items vs. unhealthier items.

That's because it's more expensive for a company to use real ingredients instead of man-made chemical *kitten*. It costs more or them to use real ingredients, so they pass that on to the consumer. That's why it's important to avoid processed food as much as possible and just cook it yourself!

And as far as milk goes, I've never seen skim cost more. But, it's possible since it requires more processing.
    I wasn't debating the reason WHY these items are more expensive. I understand why they are more money. But everybody keeps overlooking these facts!

I don't choose to overlook these facts, I just choose to make the investment in my health and my longevity instead. I'd rather pinch pennies elsewhere (e.g. entertainment budget, clothing, no cable etc).
  • CM9178

That's because it's more expensive for a company to use real ingredients instead of man-made chemical *kitten*. It costs more or them to use real ingredients, so they pass that on to the consumer. That's why it's important to avoid processed food as much as possible and just cook it yourself!

And as far as milk goes, I've never seen skim cost more. But, it's possible since it requires more processing.
    I wasn't debating the reason WHY these items are more expensive. I understand why they are more money. But everybody keeps overlooking these facts!

I don't choose to overlook these facts, I just choose to make the investment in my health and my longevity instead. I'd rather pinch pennies elsewhere (e.g. entertainment budget, clothing, no cable etc).

THAT"S NOT WHAT I"M SAYING.
  • ITS WHATS IN HIGH DEMAND, SO ITS CHEAPER & MAKES PEOPLE SICK & FAT! BUT THEY LUV IT!:drinker:
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Sadly you have to really look for healthy foods in your price range. I go to the farmer's market once a week and stock up my fruits & veggies for cheap. I also stock up on whole grains when i see them on sale. Like breads, pasta & rice. It's possible and once you're used to it it'll come easily :-)
  • CM9178
    To prove a point, from my local grocery store:

1/2 gallon of Skim Plus - $3
    Gallon of Whole Milk - $3.99

loaf of 100% whole grain bread (Arnold's) - $4.49
    loaf of white bread - $1.99

75% lean Ground beef (value size pack) - $3.89/lb
    93% lean Ground beef (not available in a value pack size) - $5.79/lb

These are way more than a 30 cent difference. Again, this has nothing to do with the costs of long term health, etc.
    I am just comparing apples to apples here, and the price differences are very obvious. But yet people keep saying this isn't true. Maybe it isn't true for you if you have access to farms and who knows what, but for many people, this is reality.
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Spending money on groceries for a week is way cheaper than going out to eat every day and night!!

Its all about trying to find the right things to buy at the grocery store. you can never go wrong with boneless skinless chicken breasts :) i use those at least a few nights a week- talk about protein!!! and compare that to going to burger king 3 nights a week... that crap gets so expensive!!!!
  • It depends where you live. Fresh produces varies in price from what I've seen by location.
    Here in Montreal, I find it rather expensive, and it's hard to find good farmers markets, since our autumn/winter's are so cold.
    I tend to shop on sales, or the price reduced rack for veggies. as for meats like chicken, their damn expensive.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    I feel very fortunate to live in the San Francisco bay area. We can get fruits, veggies, and meat all for a pretty good deal since the central valley is so close. I imagine eating right on a budget is much tougher in, say, Hawaii

I live by the bay area too, near Fairfield/Vacaville. We have so many farmer's markets and what not out here, it's great. Otherwise it's pretty expensive BUT i do use coupons to help me save on items i don't need to pay full price for so i can use it to buy produce. My kids tear it up, half our fridge is stocked with fresh things.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    It is perhaps more convenient to eat junk but not less expensive.

At McDonald's you can spend 6-8 dollars on ONE meal.

At the grocery store you can buy organic chicken breast, veggies and brown rice for just about the same and have up to FOUR meals.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    It takes more time, money, and energy to put out healthy food. The people who supply food products need to spend more of their money to provide a healthy product than it does to throw together an unhealthy product. Clone beef is cheaper than farm raised beef because they actually put out an effort to make a better product. Don't think of the "good food" as more expensive, think of the "bad food" as cheap. When you go to the grocery store expect to spend more money because you want to eat healthy. Don't go cheap, because you will spend much more in the future on medical bills due to deteriorating health.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    I've found that it's cheaper... I bought a $12 pack of organic chicken which is enough for at least 4 meals. I would've spent that on ONE large meal of fast food.

Whoa, where are you buying fast food?

I have found that when I plan ahead, shopping healthy is cheaper. I've learned how to do this now and don't eat out all that much. However, I've never spent $12 on a fast food meal.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Last night my family of four had Sesame Greens over quinoa with fresh apples.

Cost: Swiss Chard $2.00, 1T olive oil $0.22, 2 tsp vinegar $0.13, 2 tsp agave nectar $0.16, 2 T sesame seeds $0.15, 1 cup organic dry Quinoa $1.66, Sea Salt $0.02, 3 Apples $2 (I didn't have one because I was full)

Total meal cost $6.34, per person $1.59

Just a point of reference.
  • Prepackaged & prepared foods seem cheaper, but the ultimate costs in the long run (medical bills, physical toll, mental toll) are way higher. People don't know how to cook anymore. Bread, pasta, rice sides (ala rice-a-roni or uncle ben's sides) used to be made everyday at home with flour, milk, butter, and oil. Making food at home is cheaper and healthier - you control the amount of sodium, what kind of oil, and home cooks don't use preservatives or polysyllabic chemicals. Yes, you can buy more calories for the money - the ding dong and hohos of the world are full of processed sugars and preservatives - but you need to realize that quality over quantity is WAY more important. If you eat a package of ding dongs, you'd be getting enough calories for a meal, but you'd be missing protein, nutrients, and healthy fats, all while spiking your blood sugar and getting hungry an hour later.

I can give you my favorite "free" recipe for chicken broth (which could easily be beef or veggie): buy all your meat on the bone - it's cheaper & more flavorful, cook it on the bone, and save those bones in a freezer bag. Add onion ends & skins, celery leaves & roots, carrot tops (including the greenery!), garlic papers, herb stems - every veggie peel, top, & bottom (except asparagus & peppers - too strong!). When a gallon size bag is full, put it all in your largest stock pot, cover to the top with water, and boil it down for a couple of hours. You get super flavorful broth, full of calcium from the bones, that's only got the salt you've added with no MSG. Freeze it in portions. And best of all, it's FREE.

Good luck on your journey. I hope this helps!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

But you're still talking about processed foods. Processed foods are going to be more expensive no matter what. Like I said in an earlier post, I bought my husband five days worth of the healthiest processed foods I could find to take on his camping trip. Five days of processed food for one person cost as much as a week's worth (that often lasts more than 7 days) of fresh "ingredients" (fruits, vegetables, a little meat, cheese, milk, juice, etc.) for my entire family of five.

Eat more whole foods than processed and you can easily save money while eating a whole lot healthier.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member

But you're still talking about processed foods. Processed foods are going to be more expensive no matter what. Like I said in an earlier post, I bought my husband five days worth of the healthiest processed foods I could find to take on his camping trip. Five days of processed food for one person cost as much as a week's worth (that often lasts more than 7 days) of fresh "ingredients" (fruits, vegetables, a little meat, cheese, milk, juice, etc.) for my entire family of five.

Eat more whole foods than processed and you can easily save money while eating a whole lot healthier.

I agree with this... when I primarily processed foods (healthy or not) I come home with WAY less and spend WAY more... whereas if I buy canned produce and packaged cheese as the most processed, then it stretches much farther, both in money and in our stomachs.
  • jenniprr
    jenniprr Posts: 119
    It's not cheaper in the long run...