Why is it cheaper to eat unhealthfully...

Options

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    when people talk about how cheaply they shop in supermarkets, they should also take into account the very low quality food they are purchasing -

Factory-farmed animals, raised in deplorable conditions, jacked up on steroids and antibiotics;
    Genetically modified vegetables, doused in pesticides;
    Fruit, also heavily sprayed and grown with toxic chemicals, that is shipped around the world using vast amounts of gas and oil;
    Milk from cows so sick (from a corn-based diet that spawns E. Coli) that the cows die from illness constantly;
    Fish raised in farms that are swimming in pollutants and chemicals designed to keep them alive just long enough to get to your table;

etc.

The result is foods that LOOK like food, but are depleted of much of their nutrition, carry dangerous pathogens from the illnesses that close contact, stress, untreated injuries, forced growth (why chicken thighs are so big), and horrific conditions in general cause, and, in the case of produce, are sprayed and treated with cancer-causing chemicals.

Cheap food isn't cheap!

alarmism at its best.

Its not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.
    Can you please show me some evidence that milk, chicken breast, and non-organic vegetables will cause all this harm?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Oh, and another reason I'm cheap is I don't eat meat :D

somehow this doesnt stop me from spending 500-700 calories a month just on food for myself. not eating out either.
    Options
    when people talk about how cheaply they shop in supermarkets, they should also take into account the very low quality food they are purchasing -

Factory-farmed animals, raised in deplorable conditions, jacked up on steroids and antibiotics;
    Fruit, also heavily sprayed and grown with toxic chemicals, that is shipped around the world using vast amounts of gas and oil;
    Milk from cows so sick (from a corn-based diet that spawns E. Coli) that the cows die from illness constantly;
    Fish raised in farms that are swimming in pollutants and chemicals designed to keep them alive just long enough to get to your table;

etc.

The result is foods that LOOK like food, but are depleted of much of their nutrition, carry dangerous pathogens from the illnesses that close contact, stress, untreated injuries, forced growth (why chicken thighs are so big), and horrific conditions in general cause, and, in the case of produce, are sprayed and treated with cancer-causing chemicals.

Cheap food isn't cheap!

now what is your point? ::scratches head:: so where do YOU buy YOUR food? Do you grow it all? Go to a local farm, pick your own produce? the reality is that we are basically at the mercy of the people producing the food in these ways so i don't understand what your overarching point is--what are we to do about this "cheap food?"
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy :wink: .
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

etc.

Cheap food isn't cheap!

^^^^^^^^Who watched food inc.?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. McDonalds may seem cheaper but are you sure you are really eating beef? or is it corn and filler? Also the fattier the beef the cheaper it is at the grocery store. I bet you could recreate a McDonalds meal at home using the same ingredients that McDonalds actually uses for cheaper than picking it up at the drive through.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    When I eat mostly crappy, processed foods, I tend to eat more frequently because they don't keep you satisfied - I suspect that it's due mostly to the high-carb/low-fiber/low-protein. A diet like that consists largely of fat & simple carbs.

When I eat mostly whole foods & spend a little more on healthier stuff, it keeps me satisfied much longer. It's easier to control my portions & avoid grazing mindlessly throughout the day. IMHO it does not cost more to eat healthy because I don't have to eat as much. And you can't put a price on the health benefits of eating better-quality food.

Spending $$ to eat healthy & feeling better > Spending the same amount of $$ just in smaller chunks to eat like crap & feel like crap
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    (snip)

Cheap food isn't cheap!

now what is your point? ::scratches head:: so where do YOU buy YOUR food? Do you grow it all? Go to a local farm, pick your own produce? the reality is that we are basically at the mercy of the people producing the food in these ways so i don't understand what your overarching point is--what are we to do about this "cheap food?"

where I live, there are a lot of Farmer's Markets, so I can get cheap organic produce there. I buy local, in-season produce.

I garden, and there is a HUGE movement out there supporting backyard gardening nowadays - look it up!

I'm an omnivore, so I can't really get high-quality meat for cheap, unfortunately. I bite the bullet there.

I never go into supermarkets, with the exceptions of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Depending on where you live, your results may vary :)

PS: if you don't believe the things I say about the food industry, cool. i'm not taking the time to research anything for you - if you are curious, look it up yourself. this stuff is pretty well-documented.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's not - I can eat for a week on a little over $40 all in buying fresh fruit and veggies, milk, eggs and bread. On weeks where I buy meat it rounds $50 but that is a far cry fromwhat it would cost to pack myself full of unhealthy choices, fast food and skipped meals.

Even buying for the family (when I go back to my parents) I can keep a family of four adults (all over 24) happily fed for under $150 a week - and that is splurging on steaks etc. Again a far cry from what it would cost to eat unhealthy.
    Options
    (snip)

Cheap food isn't cheap!

where I live, there are a lot of Farmer's Markets, so I can get cheap organic produce there. I buy local, in-season produce.

I garden, and there is a HUGE movement out there support backyard gardening nowadays - look it up!

I'm an omnivore, so I can't really get high-quality meat for cheap, unfortunately. I bite the bullet there.

I never go into supermarkets, with the exceptions of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

I am originally from CA...I am away for school...the East Coast sucks *kitten*! seriously. I don't eat any fresh fruit/veggies because they are largely unavailable. It's not by choice, it's just my reality. I suspect many people have similar problems.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

A little pricey, BUT we had a terrible drought this year. Expect a lot of prices to go up everywhere around the states.

This right here. The drought in the midwest will and is impacting the price of all crops which will in turn drive up the costs of food, fuel, etc. There is a mandate that a certain amount of the corn crop go to fuel, which reduces the amount available for human consumption just by acreage alone, then add in the small return due to the drought. Changes in weather and issues in other parts of the world also impact pricing here, like when there were massive wildfires in Russia a couple of years ago that devistated their wheat harvests, it drove up the price of wheat in the US.
    The prices of produce vary so much due to the season, weather and where the stores purchase their supply. (Hint: Ask your local grocery store produce guy if they ship their stuff in from a warehouse hours away, or if they buy from local farmers. You may be suprised.)

The US also has a problem with living paycheck to paycheck for a lot of people, in addition to the "food desert" issues where there just isn't quality grocery items available. Yes, if you can afford $50 to buy chicken, beans and rice for multiple meals, you should do it. However, what about the people that have $5 to feed themselves for the day? That dollar menu becomes mightly temping. Not saying its right, but its part of reality.
  • AnneM69
    AnneM69 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a docket so I could get 9 pieces of chicken, large chips, 4 dinner rolls and potato and gravy for AU$17.95, I'm not sure what the full price is. That would be enough chicken for dinner and lunch the next day for us, and I'd add a salad/cooked veggies to mine, my OH would have rice with his.
    The groceries in the other picture would cost AU$30 to 40, but they'd feed us, with some rice instead of the potatoes (we do eat them, it just takes us months to get through a bag that size) and eggs instead of the beans (OH can't stand them, they give me major gas) for nearly a week.
    Itemised it is (AU$)
    1kg chicken thighs - $7
    Medium grain white rice - $5.8
    8 Corn on the cob - $2 - 4
    4 Peaches - $1
    4l of whole Milk - $4
    1kg of Oats - $1
    500g of Mince Beef - $4
    170g of Total 0% fat Greek Yogurt - $2
    1kg of Frozen Peas - $2

I'd add grated cheese, tomatoes, and avocados, and wholemeal bread, and in Summer prices it'd be a round $40.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    First off...im not sure that "unhealthfully" is a word...but, as the subject states: Why is it so much cheaper to eat crap than it is to buy healthy foods and prepare them yourself? You can go to McDonalds and buy a cheeseburger and fries for a lot cheaper than going to the grocery store and buying foods to make a meal. It just aggravates me...

and apples are 1/4 of the price or maybe even less then raspberries- at least where I live. So 3 handfuls of berries is $4 and a boat load of apples is $4. Damn... its cheaper to eat - wait- what? $4 worth of McCrap against a bag of apples. the argument for cheap eats is an excuse. Since it takes less food to fill you when you eat right and you need to refill hours later after mcPoops- I think its cheaper to eat a hearty meal of goodness- STAY FULL til next meal - and since you wont be having heart attacks, knees replaced and all the other crap sicknesses that come with fat- its kinda cheaper to be healthy and eat healthy for LIFE.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Farm subsidies artificially lower the cost of some foods and raise the cost of others. It's as though we are paying a tax to keep certain foods affordable to all. Take a look at what those foods are:

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/anthfood/affoodpyramid.html
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    (snip)

Cheap food isn't cheap!

I garden, and there is a HUGE movement out there support backyard gardening nowadays - look it up!

I am originally from CA...I am away for school...the East Coast sucks *kitten*! seriously. I don't eat any fresh fruit/veggies because they are largely unavailable. It's not by choice, it's just my reality. I suspect many people have similar problems.

Not sure where you are - but Im on the east coast and while it may not compare to CA - Id have no clue- I cant believe you cant find fresh produce. I have been up and down the coast this summer- from Main to the Carolinas and berries, melons, apples , advacados and so much more have been plentiful. No farmers markets?- even in the middle of the NYC the farmers spread the wealth. Organic markets? All summer I had fresh fruit and am sad to see it go. Ask around your town- you're missing something - hopefully someone can help
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another reason I'm cheap is I don't eat meat :D

Sweety you should NEVER consider yourself cheap.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You can go to McDonalds and buy a cheeseburger and fries for a lot cheaper than going to the grocery store and buying foods to make a meal. It just aggravates me...

This is really funny to me, because I think McDonalds is pretty expensive for what it is.

I can buy a 16 oz bag of frozen french fries for $1.99. Less if I bought potatoes and sliced them. A 12 pack bag of hamburger buns is $1.99. If I buy the "big pack" of ground beef, it's about $1.99 a pound. A pound of cheese is about $3.99. Ketchup is $1.99 a bottle.

So the dollar menu fries could cost about a quarter if you made them at home. A quarter pound cheeseburger would cost about $.75 at home, and with a lot more meat than a dollar menu McDouble. So we're already at half the price of McDonalds, and that's not even touching the insane markup on soft drinks.

I'd need to eat at least two McDoubles and a small fry to feel remotely satisfied at McD's. That's three bucks and minimal nutrition. Most of the meals I cook at home cost less than $3 a serving, are delicious and healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper to have burgers at home than to buy them at McD's. Stop eating out. Stop buying pre-packeged prepared foods and your food bill drops!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I've found that it's cheaper... I bought a $12 pack of organic chicken which is enough for at least 4 meals. I would've spent that on ONE large meal of fast food.

This is true!! It takes research and planning, but it's actually more cost effective to eat healthfully.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I actually don't find this to be true. It is much cheaper for me to buy whole foods and prepare a meal myself for my whole family than to take all 3 of us out to eat.

You just have to be able to put in the prep time in the kitchen.