Explain why "organic" is better?

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
How is food with bugs on it, fertilized with manure (this is what they use, right?), better than bug free food with some chemicals on it? What percentage of crops are lost to the bugs in organic farming? How are the crop yields of organically fertilized foods vs. chemically fertilized?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It isn't poisonous. That seems self-explanatory.
  • Rae6503
    Options

So you are implying that non-organic IS poisonous? Got anything scientific to back that up?
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    its not
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

So you are implying that non-organic IS poisonous? Got anything scientific to back that up?

Yea my brother dropped dead yesterday after eating a carrot he bought from walmart.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Entire organic movement summed up right here. Baseless fear mongering.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Entire organic movement summed up right here. Baseless fear mongering.

This. Its a good way to spend more money and be smug
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I won't say that pesticides don't have any effect on us (not saying they do either - I don't really know). But, since I live on a farm and they spray at least twice a year, I won't be avoiding it anytime soon LOL.

But I do have issues with the crop yield of organic. It is not sustainable to feed the world population (IMO). I don't see how it could be. There just isn't enough farm land to grow enough food organically for all the people of the world.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What sort of Wizardry is this?
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How is food with bugs on it, fertilized with manure (this is what they use, right?), better than bug free food with some chemicals on it? What percentage of crops are lost to the bugs in organic farming? How are the crop yields of organically fertilized foods vs. chemically fertilized?

The non-manure fertilized crops don't end up being recalled due to e-coli contamination : )

Did you know that there are actually chemicals that are permitted by the USDA for so-called organic crops?

I have issues with all of this chemical-phobia that organic proponents keep trying to whip up. There is nothing on planet earth that is not composed of "chemicals".
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    I choose organic when I can for several reasons. I like knowing where my meat came from - the farm, the farmers, the feed, etc. and I find that with small organic farms there is more information than with a larger, commercial farming industry. I also like being able to know what the ingredients are in the products I buy without having to use a dictionary. I'm not staunch about my organic choices - price is a big concern - but I prefer them. In a completely horrible truth I also love Late July cookies, which are organic, and quite a lovely indulgence.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I'm certain organic is better for you, because you're not unnecessarily ingesting trace amounts of poinsonous chemical.

However, that is the least of your worries. Processed food is way worse for you than non-organic produce could ever hope to be.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

The non-manure fertilized crops don't end up being recalled due to e-coli contamination : )

Did you know that there are actually chemicals that are permitted by the USDA for so-called organic crops?

I have issues with all of this chemical-phobia that organic proponents keep trying to whip up. There is nothing on planet earth that is not composed of "chemicals".

Completely agree.
    Scared of chemicals on your food, but use shampoo, lotion, and deodorant? Hmmm...

From what I have learned so far in my nutrition classes at my uni, a lot of the "organic movement" is just marketing.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Holy crap someone said it before I did!

You are all made of chemicals. Every single thing you know is made of chemicals. So if they frighten you you are in serious trouble.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    when i think organic, i'm thinking eggs/milk/etc.. stuff that actually involves animals, though the USDA definition is below - this is what i think of "Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones. "

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I only buy organic aspartame. It's important.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    when i think organic, i'm thinking eggs/milk/etc.. stuff that actually involves animals, though the USDA definition is below - this is what i think of "Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones. "

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.

No antibiotics? What if they get an infection? The rancher just lets 300lbs of beef die?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I only buy organic because its cheaper at the grocery store. I know thats not always the case, but it just so happens to be that way at Mariano's.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If "organic" was synonymous with "no genetic engineering" for crops, organic would be better.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    No antibiotics? What if they get an infection? The rancher just lets 300lbs of beef die?

They don't give them routine, preemptive antibiotics. If an animal gets sick, they do treat them. But then they no longer qualify as "organic" or "antibiotic free" and are sold as conventional livestock.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    WIZARDRY!