Only Cardio or lifting too...????

Options
I still have about 15-17 lbs to lose(depending on the day). Currently I am working out 4-5 times per week. 3-4 of those days I have limited time and am only able to be at the gym for an hr. Should I only do cardio to burn the calories until I get to my goal or should I continue to do 30-45mins of cardio and then lift for about 15mins. I usually do arm and ab machines. I don't do legs the cardio works them enough for me. One day a week I have the time to go about 2hrs so I do 1hr plus of cardio and then other stuff.

So keep doing what I am doing or focus only on cardio until I lose the weight then add weight training to the mix?

*Areas of concern...arms need toned and my horrible stomach. Two babies and a c-section, It's not pretty!

Thanks

Replies

• melindadunston
    Options
    BUMP
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drop anything, drop the cardio. Lift heavy and keep your HR up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lift, and don't neglect the legs. Cardio isn't enough.

rear-view-1.jpg

arms2-1.jpg
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    4-5 days per week is plenty
    do lifting 2 times and cardio 3 times, and some fun cardio the 5th time (or you can add 3rd day of lifting)
    lifting will take less than 1h
    look up New Rules of lifting for women of stronglifts
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd be lifting 30-45mins then cardio for 15mins. The benefits of resistance training are huge.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drop anything, drop the cardio. Lift heavy and keep your HR up.

Ok no... cardio is just as important as strength training!

Do both, and concentrate on your running more during running season/race time, but definitly get some lifting in there as well :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Do both, and concentrate on your running more during running season/race time, but definitly get some lifting in there as well :)

Not for the goals outlined in the OP it's not.
  • alex0069
    Options
    Cardio is a fat burner. if you wanna get in a great shape cardio is not enough. You gotta do weights as well. What i do is doing weights on a different part of body every day and cardio after, around 40 to 60 mins. Girls dont be scared to use weights, youre not gonna get hench like your boyfriends lol. Its to firm and tone your body. Keep it up!
  • melindadunston
    Options

Well I have one more race scheduled on Labor Day and then I am going to take it easy until early spring on the running thing. I want to get the entire body in shape over the winter. I am just not sure on which approach to take.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

I didn't say she should drop the cardio, but if she is short on time and needs to drop something it should not be strength.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some lifting - and not with Barbie weights. Pick up the big boy weights. They will reshape your body like you won't believe.

Be prepared for some weight GAIN at first, though. Actually, stop looking at the scale for a few weeks when you start, and simply go buy measurements & how your clothing fits.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    If I were you, I'd be lifting 30-45mins then cardio for 15mins. The benefits of resistance training are huge.

Agree!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

Well I have one more race scheduled on Labor Day and then I am going to take it easy until early spring on the running thing. I want to get the entire body in shape over the winter. I am just not sure on which approach to take.

Ok, so do just enough cardio to keep yourself going - I'm presuming that you're going to resume running and racing next year. I'm concerned that if you drop cardio completley, you'll fall behind come race season next year.

Look up 5X5 and New Rules of Lifting For Women - that should be a good starting point :)
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Personally, I warm up for 20 mins on a treadmill/rower... Then hit the weights following an adapted 5x5 program, with an extra set in to failure at a lighter weight - starting with my legs first and finishing on upper body. Then I do high intensity cardio for another 30-40 mins depending what i'm doing. If you don't like doing constant pace, interval training is your friend.

I always like to finish off with a little cardio after because it helps get blood pumping around your body at the end of your session which improves recovery due to transporting lactic acid away and flushing your muscles with fresh blood/nutrients, plus because you've already depleted your ATP stores by lifting... Your body turns to burning fat quicker to supply the energy to do that cardio at the end.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lift, and don't neglect the legs. Cardio isn't enough.

rear-view-1.jpg

arms2-1.jpg

Love this! Just started P90x and going as heavy as I can :) Something to look forward to!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

^^^^This. If your looking to drop fat & reshape your body. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health.
  • melindadunston
    Options

^^^^This. If your looking to drop fat & reshape your body. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health.

Ok Lifting is it. Now to look up those websites suggested to find out how to do it...lol I use the machines now and do 3 reps of 10. That doesn't take me long enough.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you're doing yourself a serious injustice by not doing strength training on your LEGS! Your legs are your largest muscles so you should be doing strength on them..... squats, lunges, leg press work wonders! A good blend of cardio and strength is key - you should be doing strength training - LIFT HEAVY - 3 days a week. It only takes an hour.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everybody on here, do a short 15-20 minutes of strong lifts and cardio. Concentrate on lifts that work multiple body parts, not isolation. You could try doing interval training for your cardio and do just 15 minutes, 1 minute low, 1 minute very high intensity, this should help burn extra calories but shorten the duration.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

Ok Lifting is it. Now to look up those websites suggested to find out how to do it...lol I use the machines now and do 3 reps of 10. That doesn't take me long enough.

OH and stop using the machines. do free weights to help work your stabilizer muscles....

ALSO if you're going to do strength & cardio in the same day (which is fine) do strength first, every time.