Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    this_thread_again.jpg \m/
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

"Which is why people advocate doing weights".... "it generally feels easier to achieve"

I lost 27lbs doing cardio and strength training and now I've entered a building phase of hardly any cardio and tons of heavy lifting.

Do a nice squat set for 12 reps, and then run a mile. Then tell me which one "feels" easier.

If you aren't experiencing discomfort when lifting, you aren't lifting enough

Which is why I quoted that. Apparently some people don't lift enough/correctly. Hence the comparison between squats and running.

I was agreeing

Thought so. I'm still just stunned that there is a consensus among people that strength training is easier than cardio. :noway:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Funny, I've got friends who do only cardio and they aren't exactly atrophying like they'd been in a body cast, especially the triathletes.

Your friends are way out on the bell curve, then -- especially the triathletes.

As for Alexander Bryukhankov and Jarod Shoemaker, both Olympians and two of the top triathletes in the world, they do a considerable amount of strength training. I recall reading an interview with Shoemaker where he commented that he was broken down as a runner, and that strength training was one of the things that helped save him.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Lift, and don't neglect the legs. Cardio isn't enough.

rear-view-1.jpg

arms2-1.jpg

PSA:

Everyone, please take a moment to note the importance of taking before-after pictures.

Also please note that Lorina is a total boss.

Thank you.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thought so. I'm still just stunned that there is a consensus among people that strength training is easier than cardio. :noway:

Nope, big lifting is hard work.

But...

Knowing the different energy systems in your body is important - and will explain why X program works for weight loss more than Y program.

Big lifting just by itself without cardio and running at a calorie deficit will work... However when it comes to using that newfound strength for longer periods it'll feel like hell - unless you modify your lifting program to incorporate either a superset system or after your really big lifts... A 'rep to failure' set with something slightly lighter. Oh, and cutting down rest between sets is also a great way of improving your energy systems.

Personally I quite enjoy doing all three. A warm up followed by big lifting followed by a rep to failure set, followed by some cardio to 'finish me off' so to speak. :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Funny, I've got friends who do only cardio and they aren't exactly atrophying like they'd been in a body cast, especially the triathletes.

Exactly, I don't understand why it HAS to be all or nothing. A good blend of cardio AND strength training is the best of both worlds and won't screw over the OP when race season hits next spring.

I just hope she doesn't lose all the cardio endurance she's built up so far.

There hasn't been a single post in this thread where anyone has even implied, much less stated, that "it HAS to be all or nothing."
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

"Which is why people advocate doing weights".... "it generally feels easier to achieve"

I lost 27lbs doing cardio and strength training and now I've entered a building phase of hardly any cardio and tons of heavy lifting.

Do a nice squat set for 12 reps, and then run a mile. Then tell me which one "feels" easier.

If you aren't experiencing discomfort when lifting, you aren't lifting enough

Which is why I quoted that. Apparently some people don't lift enough/correctly. Hence the comparison between squats and running.

I was agreeing

Well to some extent it depends on the person and the type of cardio. I personally hate high intensity cardio and in a way feel like heavy lifting is "easier" Or maybe "less grueling" might be more accurate. For me knocking out 5 reps and resting a cpl minutes over and over and eating less food has been much more enjoyable and provided a much better end result IMO than running until i felt like throwing up.

@Shadowsan

Some of us don't care about using our new muscle for long periods of time. We just wanna look good. Also all of the stuff about energy systems etc when it comes to losing weight is far less significant that plain ole burning more calories than you consume when it comes to body comp alone. Obviously if someone wants to participate in an activity that requires cardiovasular endurance, they need more cardio.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

Exactly, I don't understand why it HAS to be all or nothing. A good blend of cardio AND strength training is the best of both worlds and won't screw over the OP when race season hits next spring.

There hasn't been a single post in this thread where anyone has even implied, much less stated, that "it HAS to be all or nothing."

What was that thing you said earlier about reading comprehension? 1st page sunshine :flowerforyou:
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    @Shadowsan

Some of us don't care about using our new muscle for long periods of time. We just wanna look good. Also all of the stuff about energy systems etc when it comes to losing weight is far less significant that plain ole burning more calories than you consume when it comes to body comp alone. Obviously if someone wants to participate in an activity that requires cardiovasular endurance, they need more cardio.

It becomes a lot more important down the line for people who begin to stall in their weight loss though... When they're lifting pretty well but having a good rest between sets, and eating at a deficit but then wondering why that loss is beginning to slow/stop... It's because your body becomes accustomed to doing that particular thing and adapts. Meaning that it makes it much harder to drop fat down the line.

It's always been best to try to at least do 20 mins of cardio at the end of a session or change your program to get you breathing heavily than neglect those systems which you will need if you've got a fair bit to lose.

There is no silver bullet here. What works for you, works for you - but it won't necessarily work for everyone. Which is why I personally advocate covering all the bases and doing lifting and cardio when people ask the question, because that generally does work for most people - it's kinda like a catch-all :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

What was that thing you said earlier about reading comprehension? 1st page sunshine :flowerforyou:

The words "if" and "just as" have pretty certain meanings. :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Over time, doing cardio without major strength training has the same effect on body composition as wearing a body cast.

Not quite the stupidest thing I've read on MFP but close........(define "major strength training" for those of us unenlightened cardio types)

To the OP, it depends entirely on what your goals are. I noticed, for example, that you're wearing a race bib in your profile picture. Strength training is essential as a part of any balanced fitness program, as is cardio. If you're solely concerned about body composition then going more for heavy lifting is probably the right thing to do, if you're looking more at performance and injury resistance as an endurance athlete then you would maintain a higher proportion of cardio (but don't neglect strength)
  • ashleyanh410
    ashleyanh410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What about circuit training that mixes both cardio and lifting? For years I only did cardio and found weights to be "boring." I was also soft and non-defined. However, this year I started taking a circuit training class that has you lifting heavy for one exercise, "recovering" with cardio (like agility ladders, hurdles, plyos) for the next, then back to a heavy lifting exercise (total of 3 lifts, 3 cardio stations per day x 4 rounds with very little rest between stations). I have never sweat more, had to breathe harder, or had push myself as hard.. EVER.

It works and it's empowering!
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    What about circuit training that mixes both cardio and lifting? For years I only did cardio and found weights to be "boring." I was also soft and non-defined. However, this year I started taking a circuit training class that has you lifting heavy for one exercise, "recovering" with cardio (like agility ladders, hurdles, plyos) for the next, then back to a heavy lifting exercise (total of 3 lifts, 3 cardio stations per day x 4 rounds with very little rest between stations). I have never sweat more, had to breathe harder, or had push myself as hard.. EVER.

Circuit training is pretty great for most people, and it can be mixed up very easily to stop you getting bored. Not only that, but if you go to certain places now they cross circuit training with strongman-type exercises to keep you entertained and keep your body adapting to new challenges which is great :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Over time, doing cardio without major strength training has the same effect on body composition as wearing a body cast.

Not quite the stupidest thing I've read on MFP but close........(define "major strength training" for those of us unenlightened cardio types)

To the OP, it depends entirely on what your goals are. I noticed, for example, that you're wearing a race bib in your profile picture. Strength training is essential as a part of any balanced fitness program, as is cardio. If you're solely concerned about body composition then going more for heavy lifting is probably the right thing to do, if you're looking more at performance and injury resistance as an endurance athlete then you would maintain a higher proportion of cardio (but don't neglect strength)

To belabor what should otherwise be obvious -- it was slightly hyperbolic -- barely so.

"Major strength training?" Knowing its definition has nothing to do with your relative level of enlightenment (or lack thereof); quite the contrary, all you have to do is read the paragraph that precedes the hyperbole to find the universally accepted definition.

As for her "goals," she clearly states them, but thanks for the redundancy.
  • spartacus69
    Options

Circuit training is pretty great for most people, and it can be mixed up very easily to stop you getting bored. Not only that, but if you go to certain places now they cross circuit training with strongman-type exercises to keep you entertained and keep your body adapting to new challenges which is great :)

^^ This is what my workout routine has evolved to. For me and my specific goals (in order: fat loss, muscle retention, cardiovascular endurance, modest strength gains) a weight-lifing-oriented circuit routine has been more beneficial than any other program I've tried.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

^^ This is what my workout routine has evolved to. For me and my specific goals (in order: fat loss, muscle retention, cardiovascular endurance, modest strength gains) a weight-lifing-oriented circuit routine has been more beneficial than any other program I've tried.

Nice to see someone who has not only figured out what their specific goals are but also prioritized them. That is all.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Oh I def will never stop cardio. But during fall/winter I will lessen it. Focus on strength and early spring start cardio like crazy again to train for a half. My goal is a half in May!

If your goal is to run a half in May, simply put you would be mad to put your running on hold over the winter. You can train from a very low level of endurance/cardio fitness to a half in 3 or 4 months but the additional strain and risk of injury makes this plan undesirable.

Much better would be to maintain a level of running which you can gradually build on in Spring 2013.

Of course all this depends upon your priorities and what your goal is:

To be a half marathon runner
    To be slim and/or light
    To look good.

Decide what the priority is an train accordingly. This way you don't get sucked into the sh**storm over which is exercise is "best".
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Perfecto (my emphasis added)
  • melindadunston
    Options

Oh I def will never stop cardio. But during fall/winter I will lessen it. Focus on strength and early spring start cardio like crazy again to train for a half. My goal is a half in May!

If your goal is to run a half in May, simply put you would be mad to put your running on hold over the winter. You can train from a very low level of endurance/cardio fitness to a half in 3 or 4 months but the additional strain and risk of injury makes this plan undesirable.

Much better would be to maintain a level of running which you can gradually build on in Spring 2013.

To be slim and/or light
    To look good.

Decide what the priority is an train accordingly. This way you don't get sucked into the sh**storm over which is exercise is "best".

I guess I worded that wrong. I am not going to STOP running. I will still GRADUALLY increase/maintain but I want to focus more on strength training for the fall/winter. I could run a 10k now so all I need to do it double that. I am sure if I start training hard in Feb I will be fine by May:)
  • melindadunston
    Options

To be slim and/or light
    To look good.

I guess I worded that wrong. I am not going to STOP running. I will still GRADUALLY increase/maintain but I want to focus more on strength training for the fall/winter. I could run a 10k now so all I need to do it double that. I am sure if I start training hard in Feb I will be fine by May:)

But my FIRST priority is to look good naked. My first goal was to do a 5k. Done. Second. To look good naked.....after I accomplish that I will do my half marathon.