Only Cardio or lifting too...????

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do cardio and Strength.

Contrary to popular belief, running does not workout or build leg muscles... you need weights for that. So please, start doing squats, lunges, etc... Your running will improve, and when you lose all the weight you need to you will look proportionate instead on toned on top with bird legs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And for more reasons to weight-train your legs... I went from running 5k races at a 9 minute mile to an 8 minute mile after a few months of strength training last summer.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    If I were you, I'd be lifting 30-45mins then cardio for 15mins. The benefits of resistance training are huge.

^^^^This. If your looking to drop fat & reshape your body. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health.

Ok Lifting is it. Now to look up those websites suggested to find out how to do it...lol I use the machines now and do 3 reps of 10. That doesn't take me long enough.

OH and stop using the machines. do free weights to help work your stabilizer muscles....

ALSO if you're going to do strength & cardio in the same day (which is fine) do strength first, every time.

Why does everyone say the machines are so bad? Why are they? I am just wondering. I have heard the free weights are better I just am not sure why.

I also have NO CLUE as to how to work on my abs without the ab machines.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    And for more reasons to weight-train your legs... I went from running 5k races at a 9 minute mile to an 8 minute mile after a few months of strength training last summer.

I will start leg weight training.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd be lifting 30-45mins then cardio for 15mins. The benefits of resistance training are huge.

^^^^This. If your looking to drop fat & reshape your body. Cardio is great for cardiovascular health.

Ok Lifting is it. Now to look up those websites suggested to find out how to do it...lol I use the machines now and do 3 reps of 10. That doesn't take me long enough.

OH and stop using the machines. do free weights to help work your stabilizer muscles....

ALSO if you're going to do strength & cardio in the same day (which is fine) do strength first, every time.

Why does everyone say the machines are so bad? Why are they? I am just wondering. I have heard the free weights are better I just am not sure why.

Machines force you into awkward positions and don't work the stabilizer muscles.

Free weights allow for a more natural range of motion, plus work the stabilizer muscles.

As far as abs go, planks, sit ups, hanging leg raises, v-ups, oblique twists are just a few that you can... there are a million ab exercises you can do without a machine... Just use google!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    An even balance between cardio and strength training is good. Try more intense cardio for a shorter time, and more strength training involving as many muscles as you can.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did machines up until about a month ago, until I got free weights for home. It's a MUCH better workout.

Those stabilizer muscles Dad106 talked about? Sitting in the chair of the machine doing shoulder presses, for instance, works your shoulders. Standing and doing an overhead press works your whole body. I feel it in my back, my abs, my legs... Same for doing a real bench press vs. the chest press machine. And especially on squats and dead lifts!!!

Doing free weights, there's really no need to do extra ab exercises.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

The machines take your stabilizer muscles out of the equation. There are several programs you can do. New rules of lifting, stronglifts, starting strength. Watch videos on form. Ripptoe has several.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Definitely do both!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

I agree with this!

I have seen more changes in my body doing 45 mins of weights 3x per week than when I was doing 4 hour long spin classes per week. You are much better off doing 30-45 mins weights with 15 mins of HIIT at the end.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Do cardio and Strength.

Contrary to popular belief, running does not workout or build leg muscles... you need weights for that. So please, start doing squats, lunges, etc... Your running will improve, and when you lose all the weight you need to you will look proportionate instead on toned on top with bird legs.

totally agree with this. I have noticed how much faster i am since I started lifting heavy with squats and deadlifts.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Lifting "heavy," with a weight that really challenges you in the 5 - 12 repetition range, will do exponentially more in helping you achieve a favorable body composition, particularly if you focus on the major compound lifts: deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead shoulder press, rows, with pull-ups and dips added to the routine as well.

Over time, doing cardio without major strength training has the same effect on body composition as wearing a body cast.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I only read the OP. Lift for 45-60 minutes 3 days per week and do cardio the rest. That is the best way to look good naked. Srs.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Over time, doing cardio without major strength training has the same effect on body composition as wearing a body cast.

For real??? Oh my, you don't say....cardio is the debil hisself!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

".... without major strength training."

Context is important. It's why we're tested in reading comprehension as children.
  • melindadunston
    Options

Context is important. It's why we're tested in reading comprehension as children.

Smart a** are we....too funny. Thanks for the advice:) There is a lot more lifting in my future:)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

No, I understood you perfectly fine. It just irks me that there's a huge hate-on for cardio on this site.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

Smart a** are we....too funny. Thanks for the advice:) There is a lot more lifting in my future:)

Not typically. Good luck. I'm rooting for you.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Cardio will best be like the devil when it convinces me that it doesn't exist