stupid kiwi fruit argument!!

Options

Replies

• xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating the skin. It's a preference. Lots of people peel All fruit. New Zealanders eat the skin. Kiwi fruit originated there. It's like cucumber, peel it? Or don't? It's a preference. Find something worthwhile to argue about. :smile:

I'm originally from NZ and no way would I eat the peel - I don't think I know anyone who does! NZ does produce a 'milder' form of kiwifruit (zespri's/golden kiwi) those are less hairy, but even so....

Ick.

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING GIRL! :)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Everything but the fuzzy skin. Gross, who eats the skin?
  • sc0ttie
    sc0ttie Posts: 29
    Options
    your omega 3 fatty acids are in the skin, why wouldn't you eat it? when you wash the kiwi scrub it under the water and it makes the outer shell into a much easier texture to eat. When you get over the texture of the skin and start letting the sour flavor of it interact with the extreme sweet of the core, it is a fantastic flavor.

^This.

For a health site most of the comments in here seem awfully immature "ewww, gross, weird,..." all the while completely ignoring the health benefits.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First of all, skin and all for me. Second of all, how in the world is this an argument? In the words of the great Yukon Cornelius, "You eat what you like, I eat what I like." How does it affect you in any way if I like the skin off of a Kiwi?
  • janellegel
    Options
    Ive tried it before but i cant do it lol its a texture thing. I cant eat the skins on apple peaches or plums. I like to freeze peaches and plums then take a veggie peeler and then i get a wonderful frozen treat
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    skin too for me sorry...I love the sour taste of it :D

Me too! I love the skin; the flesh of a kiwi fruit is too bland without the contrasting tang of the skin. Yum!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Your partner is the weird one for eating the skin.

~nods~
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    I eat the skin.....NBD
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    The skin would totally gag me, yuck. I peel it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    your omega 3 fatty acids are in the skin, why wouldn't you eat it? when you wash the kiwi scrub it under the water and it makes the outer shell into a much easier texture to eat. When you get over the texture of the skin and start letting the sour flavor of it interact with the extreme sweet of the core, it is a fantastic flavor.

^This.

For a health site most of the comments in here seem awfully immature "ewww, gross, weird,..." all the while completely ignoring the health benefits.

Agreed^. I haven't eaten the skin before (well a little) but I am going to try it. I don't know why it's "weird and gross" when someone does something differently. Open minds are few and far between apparently.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    EW I wouldn't eat the skin!! I don't think you are supposed to lol

^^ this :) I never eat the skin
  • mtngurl
    mtngurl Posts: 3
    Options
    I used to only eat the middle but I read somewhere you could eat the skin. One day I tried it and loved it! It's the oddest texture but that makes it even more fun to eat.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kiwi is a favorite of mine, have always eaten the skin no issue whatsoever, but now I can't eat it at all, became allergic to it, it closes my throat down when I eat it...
  • sakimunro
    sakimunro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ohhhh those kiwis are lovely! I miss them terribly. Very tasty fruit indeed. (Way to go All Blacks!) sorry had to support the rugby team!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat the middle but I read somewhere you could eat the skin. One day I tried it and loved it! It's the oddest texture but that makes it even more fun to eat.

There's an open mind now! You go, girl!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing, skin and all :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing...including the skin...always have!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Get Brasilian Kiwis. They're completely hairless. ;)
  • kao708
    Options
    if you properly wash a kiwi as you should with any fruit that has a permeable skin, it won't be hairy :)
    Ok, I used to work in a supermarket and I would grab these off the shelf and just eat them whole. I never even washed them and I'm still alive. :bigsmile:
  • kao708
    Options
    Get Brasilian Kiwis. They're completely hairless. ;)
    LMAO!!! Awesome!!!! :laugh: