Options
    Yoda is strength training

Yoda-Working-Out.jpg

WINNER!!!!

/thread
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I'm not sure you know anything about women. And pushups are definitely strength training for guys.
    Other than being one myself I guess. And I said it would be strength training for some guys. It would not be strength training for a lot of guys who can do dozens in a row no problem.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on the person.
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

...i know! really? i just did 20 'real' pushups earlier! oh, but ya know what? i also do yoga!

Most yogis can do numerous one legged pistol squats in a row.

i wouldn't go as far as to say 'most' yogis.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh look! A thread full of MFPers who can't do one pushup, let alone 5.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/715295-i-can-t-even-do-a-push-up?hl=push
    Quick, someone go post on there to tell them that they are in pathetic shape.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh look! A thread full of MFPers who can't do one pushup, let alone 5.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/715295-i-can-t-even-do-a-push-up?hl=push
    Quick, someone go post on there to tell them that they are in pathetic shape.

shut the hell up already, jesus. I was agreeing with you earlier in the thread, but now you're just being belligerent.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Am deeply offended. :( i even do weighted pushups.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think its funny that someone crying about yoga not being listed under strength training in the exercise diary selection list started an argument between chicks that do yoga vs chicks that do real strength training. Flame on!
    I guess I'm arguing on the "chicks that do yoga" side, but as I keep mentioning, I don't actually do yoga. I run and lift.
    But I can see the value of other types of exercise, even if it's not the type I choose to do myself. I guess that's a tough concept for some of you.

thank you for this post!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think its funny that someone crying about yoga not being listed under strength training in the exercise diary selection list started an argument between chicks that do yoga vs chicks that do real strength training. Flame on!
    I guess I'm arguing on the "chicks that do yoga" side, but as I keep mentioning, I don't actually do yoga. I run and lift.
    But I can see the value of other types of exercise, even if it's not the type I choose to do myself. I guess that's a tough concept for some of you.

thank you for this post!

I'm a contemporary dancer and I do yoga and lift weights. I don't like to use the word close-minded because it is such a terribly misused word that it has often lost all meaning, but seriously, this is one area in which I can genuinely say some of the folks on here are being close-minded. There are all different ways to enjoy and utilize the full potential of our bodies.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Hey guys, I was just rattling the cage a little bit, but all in good fun. Today was a great day at the Wanderlust yoga and music festival in Whistler.
  • Danflex
    Danflex Posts: 14
    Options
    I was introduced to Yoga recently. After experiencing some different kinds of yoga there is no doubt to me that it is a form of strength and flexibility training. For example I could easily do the parts where arms, shoulders and chest strength was dominate where most of the woman were struggling or could not complete or hold the pose. The seasoned ladies could do these poses with grace and style. When more flexibility was required I was the one with having the hard time. I found my self wobbling and in some cases unable to hold certain positions where leg strength flexibility and endurance came into play while most of the woman could. My lower body parts were not strong, stable or flexible enough. In a few weeks I was much better.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga.

Since this thread was resurrected to page 7, I decided to shamelessly quote my post from page 1.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Noob, I'm fine with that, because your post was right on point and basically should have ended the thread. Who logs vinyasas by number of reps?
  • BenderFitness
    Options

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

...i know! really? i just did 20 'real' pushups earlier! oh, but ya know what? i also do yoga!

I teach yoga and I can do numerous one legged pistol squats in a row. I have also done up to 45 real pushups in a row (including more difficult variations) and I could have done more. I do primarily body weight exercises, and I would classify them as a combination of cardiovascular and strength training. I agree with another poster who said building strength and "getting jacked" are two different things.

http://www.benderfitness.com/2011/11/tough-guy-fat-burner.html

For this workout I had a friend of mine who is a body builder join me. We did pistol squats, several types of pushups, burpees, and many other exercises. There is a youtube video of the workout. This video is from before I had to change the name of my blog. Now it is actually www.benderfitness.com I think I have gotten stronger since filming this video, and I attribute it to all of the body weight strength training I have been doing.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga.

Lmao. Sorry, this is a great response :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to agree here. Pistol squats are very challlenging and they take a lot of work and leg strength to accomplish. I'd say a 'few' advanced yogis, but certainly not 'most'
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, sorry I guess I'm just a little biased because I have some friends that are advanced yogis. I've seen them support themselves on one hand in contortionist moves I did not know were humanly possible. Yoga is something that can be dialed down to be open to all levels and abilities and to support people to recover from injury and then also dialed up to crazy levels. And it's true that yoga does not result in big muscles, just very strong, compact ones. It's just a different goal for a different purpose. And also, I don't care how mfp records it. I don't take any aspects of mfp very seriously. Counting calories is just a hobby. I calculated my own calorie goals taking my LBM into account. Personally I like to alternate yoga with weightlifting days (or I do yoga first then lift weights afterwards). I usually only find myself on these message boards when another mfp friend instigates me either directly or indirectly. I do weightlifting recreationally, just for personal fitness reasons and because it's fun. But, yoga actually helps me professionally as a way to improve my dance training and it is incredibly fun. Both weightlifting and yoga benefit my sex life, just each in different ways. My husband likes my muscle definition, but also my flexibility combined with the endurance needed to maintain it.

I guess everyone has probably already seen this video, but it's worth a look if not. The whole movies looks like it will be great. Arthur's Story from disability to doing things most people can't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSdRjUfF_Q&feature=channel&list=UL
  • Danflex
    Danflex Posts: 14
    Options
    It is normal to be able to do 5 one legged (pistol squats)? I tried to do them. I can't even do one. Not sure if it is more related to lack of lower body flexibility or leg strength.
  • nealcrz
    nealcrz Posts: 2
    Options
    Yoga is a mixed training activity, you can sit down all day to meditate or build strength. I actually like yoga not for meditating but to do the tough exercises for building strength and flexibility.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It is normal to be able to do 5 one legged (pistol squats)? I tried to do them. I can't even do one. Not sure if it is more related to lack of lower body flexibility or leg strength.

No, that is not an easy thing to do. The other people were correct, it's only something that advanced yoga practitioners or dancers can do. They are very difficult. I can't do them anymore because I have knee injuries, so don't worry about not being able to do them (that is normal). It takes work and practice. They are a very advanced move.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I like yoga for the muscular endurance, the body weight training, the flexibility, the way it improves my dance training. I also appreciate the relaxation and stress reduction which is very helpful to me, so I do love doing the 5 or 10 minute meditation at the end of the class (I also meditate on my own daily and find it increases mental acuity in many ways). But, I do not do it for the spiritual reasons in a metaphysical sense. I am an atheist and there are a lot of advanced yogis that are also atheists. I think yoga is open to that. I like Yoga Brains. That is a group of atheist yogis. http://www.yogabrains.org/