Options
1235»

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No one ever tries to kidnap me. :ohwell:

Is it because I'm 6'2"?
    Also its a good time to work on your sprinting!!
    I read that in a Forest Gump voice for some reason. "Good time to work on sprintaaang!"
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why do people always assume the worst? She could be behind on her utility bill, or these guys were going to initiate her into their fraternity.

Glad nothing serious happened to you. You did the right thing by reporting it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If this is an actual real post then yes, you most definitely should report it. Do it NOW before you forget the make, model, description of the person crouching in the back etc.

And why on earth would you come to a public forum to ask whether or not you should report something like that? Do you honestly think that it was no big deal?!
    well, It was the middle of the day, in a rich small town... I AM planning on reporting it, could there be ANY non creepy explanation for that....?

So abductions only happen in the middle of the night to poor people who live in the city?:huh:

Well, if you think it's ok because someone said it wasn't a big deal then don't report it.

I personally would have reported it because it's just way too creepy and weird.

Seriously? The girl just missed being abducted. Give her a break.

Did you read my other posts as well? The fact that she stated it was a "small town, rich neighborhood, the middle of the day" as if things like that don't happen there.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    To all the ladies (some of these are probably not a bad idea for the guys too):

1. Never do the same thing, the same way, every day (i.e. your route to and from work, walking/jogging route, etc...). Change up your routine, and change it often.
    2. Invest money in a good self defense class.
    3. Keep a can of mace and/or a personal alarm on you at all times.
    4. If you are in a position to do so, get a good dog. One that will serve as your protector as well as your companion.
    5. Be aware of your surroundings, and know your options in the event of an attack.
    6. Trust your instincts (aka "Spidey sense"), more often than not, they are spot on. If you feel like something isn't right, there's proabably a reason for it.
    7. Don't walk/jog without a partner. Attackers are much less likely to take on more than one person at a time.
    8. Report any suspicious behavior or incidents immediately, and take note of any distinguishing features of persons or vehicles involved.
    9. If you are attacked, fight, fight, FIGHT!!! You kick, punch, pinch, bite, scratch, scream, whatever you have to do to make your attackers efforts as difficult as possible. Particularly if they are trying to force you into a vehicle. Scratching and biting also provides DNA evidence for the police.
    10. Whatever happens, do your best to remain as mentally calm as possible. Panicking will make it more difficult to think clearly.

I'm sure there are some more tips out there for personal safety, but these are the ones I can remember from the self defense class I took and things I have learned from my own personal experience.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i am 6'5" tall, im a tall big guy. last night my fiance and i went for a walk and i kept hearing footsteps behind me. i kept looking out the corner of my eye to see who it was. i couldn't really tell and was coming to a point where its not as public. i stopped and pretended something was wrong with my shoe so the footsteps could pass or i could see who it was.

I got a creepy feeling and wasn't going to take it for granted that who ever was behind me giving me that feeling was a good person. once that person passed and i explained to my fiance what i was doing, she explained to me that, guy and his wife is the fire chief.

You cant be too safe regardless. in your case, you made a huge error in judgement by not calling the police immediately. call them and file a report.

im glad your okay, just hope that who ever was in the van doesn't try to do it again or to someone else.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ok... what if I got a Doberman...? so I don't look "available "

Appearance is everything. Most scum-bags are lazy @ss people which is why they resort to theft and petty crime instead of doing things honestly. If a target looks like it might have some difficulty for them they typically won't take the risk. Run with a dog, run with a fake gun that you can pull out if you don't want/have a real one. If there's any doubt in their mind they'll bail and run for cover. These kinds of people aren't brave heroes.

Jog in a N.R.A T-shirt. :laugh:

Being with intimidating dogs does help. I was walking our rottie mix one night and this guy in a scummy pick up truck drove by slowly, turned around, drove by again, turned around and drove by once more. I think if I hadn't had an intimidating dog with me....

She is the most lovable dog but would do anything to protect me. I was at the bank drive thru once and a homeless guy was wlaking by, getting kind of close to the car. Then he saw rottie in the back barring her teeth and steered away. :)

Wow, it sounds like I live in a horrible place. LOL
  • jcstanton
    Options
    ok... what if I got a Doberman...? so I don't look "available "

Appearance is everything. Most scum-bags are lazy @ss people which is why they resort to theft and petty crime instead of doing things honestly. If a target looks like it might have some difficulty for them they typically won't take the risk. Run with a dog, run with a fake gun that you can pull out if you don't want/have a real one. If there's any doubt in their mind they'll bail and run for cover. These kinds of people aren't brave heroes.

Jog in a N.R.A T-shirt. :laugh:

Being with intimidating dogs does help. I was walking our rottie mix one night and this guy in a scummy pick up truck drove by slowly, turned around, drove by again, turned around and drove by once more. I think if I hadn't had an intimidating dog with me....

She is the most lovable dog but would do anything to protect me. I was at the bank drive thru once and a homeless guy was wlaking by, getting kind of close to the car. Then he saw rottie in the back barring her teeth and steered away. :)

Wow, it sounds like I live in a horrible place. LOL

...and if anybody asks you if your dog is friendly, ALWAYS say no. Matter of fact it probably wouldn't hurt to tell them he/she is trained to attack on command...even if that's a fib. There was an incident in my area where a lady walking her dog in a park was approached by a strange man, and he asked if her dog was friendly. She said yes and he immediately grabbed her and dragged her into the woods where he sexually assaulted her. Thankfully, he didn't kill her, but if she had answered differently, he may not have been so bold about attacking her.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I got assaulted and robbed on my way home one night. I was five blocks from home at a busy intersection under a bright light. It happens anywhere.

Of course you should report it. I'd like to say that's the automatic answer but when it happens to you, your brain is not working right. I was not going to report it. A passerby stopped and insisted that I did. Based on his description, this guy was caught within the hour as he was walking up to MY house with MY keys in his hand. If I didn't report it, I could have been victimized again. And if you don't report it, someone else could be a victim.
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    YES- this is real... I was so scared, trying to run back to my car before they turned around... ran the fastest 1/4 mile ever.

Then why the frack are you on a message board asking whether or not it should be reported? You should have picked up your phone and dialed the police immediately and reported what happened instead of turning on your computer and going to MFP to ASK if it should be reported.

I mean seriously?!:huh:

way to be an *kitten*
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    If this is an actual real post then yes, you most definitely should report it. Do it NOW before you forget the make, model, description of the person crouching in the back etc.

And why on earth would you come to a public forum to ask whether or not you should report something like that? Do you honestly think that it was no big deal?!
    well, It was the middle of the day, in a rich small town... I AM planning on reporting it, could there be ANY non creepy explanation for that....?

So abductions only happen in the middle of the night to poor people who live in the city?:huh:

Well, if you think it's ok because someone said it wasn't a big deal then don't report it.

I personally would have reported it because it's just way too creepy and weird.

Seriously? The girl just missed being abducted. Give her a break.

Did you read my other posts as well? The fact that she stated it was a "small town, rich neighborhood, the middle of the day" as if things like that don't happen there.

I read your other posts as well, which is why I finally decided to reply to this one. Y'know, it's not to hard to figure out she simply meant that the crime rate in said neighbourhoods are generally lower than those in lower income, large cities. You don't need to be down her throat. Poor girl was nearly kidnapped. Frak.
  • CanadianThunder
    Options

...and if anybody asks you if your dog is friendly, ALWAYS say no. Matter of fact it probably wouldn't hurt to tell them he/she is trained to attack on command...even if that's a fib. There was an incident in my area where a lady walking her dog in a park was approached by a strange man, and he asked if her dog was friendly. She said yes and he immediately grabbed her and dragged her into the woods where he sexually assaulted her. Thankfully, he didn't kill her, but if she had answered differently, he may not have been so bold about attacking her.

Jesus. I have a chihuahua so that won't work for me.

I've got a purebreed Rotti, so I think I'm good. :P
  • jcstanton
    Options

Jesus. I have a chihuahua so that won't work for me.

I've got a purebreed Rotti, so I think I'm good. :P

I don't know. I used to have a Chihuaha and they can be pretty protective and vicious...although, mine was a larger breed than most chihuauas. If they can get latched on to your ankle, it's hard to get them to let go. LOL Not to mention, Cujo (that was my dog's name) was much stronger than he looked. I can't remember for sure, but I think the lady who was attacked had a husky.