Four pounds, 1.5 ounces of Godiva Chocolates

Options
My summary judgment hearing in state district court went spectacularly this morning. We dramatically pared down the issues to be presented to the jury, thereby drastically shortening the length of the jury trial scheduled for mid-October. When I arrived back at the 10th floor reception area of my office, Michelle, our receptionist, cheerfully called out, "Mr. R, you have a package from GODIVA." The capital letters are meant to reflect the dreamy tone of her voice when she reached the word GODIVA. I replied, "Thanks Michelle," and tucked the large box under my slightly larger arm.

As I walked away, Michelle called out, "You know, I've had to fend off several people this morning who wanted to steal your package because it said Godiva on it."

"I'm sure. Thanks for being so vigilant," I replied as I walked to my office.

After placing the large box on my desk, I used my door key to slice the packing tape across the top. As I pulled the cardboard flaps open, I noticed the white styrofoam packing sarcophagus inside. Carefully lifting the lid, I moved the four freezer gel packs surrounding the beautiful gold box out of the way. I lifted the gold box from its shipping container and placed it in the center of my desk. Tucked into the beautiful gold ribbon that encased the box was a small envelope with the Godiva insignia on it, and the bronze printed script words, "A Gift Message for You."

I placed the box in the center of my desk, removed the envelope, and opened it. "Please Enjoy the World's Ultimate Chocolate Indulgence." And it bore the name of the giver. But before I tell you who it was, a bit about my growing up.

To say that we were poor was an understatement. My five brothers and sisters and I, and my parents, shared a dismal apartment in a New York City housing project. My father, God rest his soul, was a graphics art teacher who worked hard when he could, but was stricken with a disabling physical condition when I was young. My mother, who obtained her GED degree at age 50, trained herself to do medical billing for a group of doctors. They were united in their insistence that education was the only viable ladder out out of our dire economic circumstances. To their credit, and despite great odds, five out of the six of us obtained college degrees, and the sixth obtained a vocational school degree. Four out of the six of us obtained post-graduate degrees. Among our numbers are a cardiologist, a lawyer (uhhhh... that's me), a registered dietitican, an engineering piping designer, a lab technician, and a signal maintenance foreperson for the New York City Subway system. For eleven straight years, from high school through law school, I worked full time and attended high school, college and law school full time. It nearly killed me, but I survived. I tell you of my past circumstances so that you will know that while I grew up, pennies and nickles counted. Chocolate was a luxury that we simply could not afford. When we DID have it, it was usually at the home of a better off uncle, aunt or other family member. On rare occasion, were grateful to have store brand chocolate that, to us, tasted as though God himself (or herself) had kissed each piece. "Fancy" chocolate like Hersheys or Nestles was out of the question.

After I graduated law school and began making money, from time to time, I would treat myself to really good chocolate. Everyone has their own gold standard for things. For me, when it came to chocolate, the gold standard was Godiva. Whether the fancy, schmansy packaging, or the velvety smoothe goodness of their deep, rich chocolate delights, that's the stuff that did it for me. And best of all, the boxes were perfect in terms of serving size. One pound of chocolate, one serving. On a particularly bad day, a two pound box of chocolate equalled one serving. It didn't really matter that I was shoving the pieces in my mouth practically as fast as it could. The combination of consuming vast quantities of what, as a child, had been beyond our reach, was intoxicating. It was also a big part of the reason I weighed 180 in high school and 478 thirty days ago.

Flash forward to August, 2012. I have been on MFP for 30 and one half days and dropped 25 pounds. And here, some garbanzo bean found out about my success and, in an obvious effort to sabotage it, sent me 4 pounds, 1.5 ounces, of my biggest weakness in the world. What inconsiderate boob would do that? And now back to the message that accompanied my chocolates--

"Please Enjoy the World's Ultimate Chocolate Indulgence." - Love, Scott R.

Yep. I bought 'em and sent 'em to myself.

Before I get a whole cascade of angry messages from my wonderful MFP friends (I could tell they'll be angry because they'd be in ALL CAPS and have lots of these guys :angry: and these guys :grumble: in them), let me explain why.

I've been telling everyone who will listen (and many who won't) that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Well, part of a marathon is slowing down your pace and reaching for a cup of water periodically to help keep you going. Could you have maintained a faster pace if you didn't slow down for the periodic cup of water? Yes! Would not slowing down for water periodically have made it less likely that you would finish the marathon? Yes!

Being a marathon, not a sprint, means that I can't deprive myself of every food and beverage that I love to eat and drink. Being a sprint, not a marathon, means that I have to carefully incorporate things that I love to eat and drink into my daily life NOW, and not at some theoretical goal point two years off in the distance. I have to not only learn, but LIVE the fact that one, two or three pieces of chocolate that I have the daily calories to include in my diet are the "cups of water" that will help me to reach the finish line two years from now. I think I'm getting there. How do I know? Ten years ago, I would have torn into both the box and its contents within mere seconds of it being placed in front of me. This morning, the box has occupied my desk for the half-hour that I've written this message, and I have yet to savor even one piece of its contents.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to take five minutes to close the door to my office, visually admire the contents of my new gift, pick out four pieces (no more, and no less), record my 190 calories on MFP, and savor each delectable morsel.

Maybe, just maybe, there is hope for me yet.

Replies

• TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    P.S. - I did get one other package at my office today... my Fitbit ultra. Talk about irony!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This, sir...is full of win. Enjoy your GODIVA chocolates - in more ways then one you are quite deserving of them!
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!!!
  • RollinwithRach
    RollinwithRach Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This post was fantastic! A spectacular summary judgment hearing in state district court this morning? Good for you! Down 25 lbs in a month? Even better! As long as special treats are consumed in small amounts every now and again; you're okay. So savor them; you deserve it!
  • Robin_Hill
    Options
    Great Scott! :O You have grown up fast! If I had my weakness anywhere near me, I'd be indulging way more then I should. Mine is Tortilla and potato chips, not sweets but just plain fat and carbs! Just have to mention, however, if some bad news comes your way that gets you depressed, hand that box off to your office or you may have the fight of a life time! Best to you :)
  • abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    This post brought a smile to my face--thanks for reminding us of our humanity within this weight loss journey! Enjoy those chocolates, but if you could spare one dark piece--fed ex to Seattle!!
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! Thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thank you.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Way to go, sometimes you need to indulge a little bit just to keep you motivated and going. Chocolates once and awhile as a treat = fine....as long as you know your limits. Good for you! I wish I loved myself enough to send myself Godiva....
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You have my respect sir.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! You earned it.
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow what a GREAT life story :) Thank you i truly enjoyed reading your post! Good luck to you :)
  • NursRatchett
    NursRatchett Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This was a joy to read. Have a great day!
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love your post, and enjoyed reading it. You most definitely deserve what you did (very much like me sending flowers to myself)...and who are we to judge anyway? Cheers!
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Lessons we all need to learn. :) (Moderation is my weak spot. I love food - healthy food, bad for me food, I love it all! That's why this site is soooo fantastic - great way to keep your cravings in check!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading your post. Good for you! Enjoy your Godiva! :happy: Congrats on losing & winning. :flowerforyou:
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    P.S. - I did get one other package at my office today... my Fitbit ultra. Talk about irony!

You call it irony. I call it a perfect illustration of your post. It's all about balance!
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You had me hooked at the title of your post. Extremely well written...and now I am drooling thinking of all of those chocolates! :-)
    Every now and then, if you don't pat yourself on the back, no one else will!
    A job well done for the 25 lbs down. You're right...it's a marathon. Not a sprint! :-)
    Best wishes on all your future endeavors.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading this... I feel like you should be some kind of creative nonfiction writer on the side :) But, good for you! And good luck as you continue on this journey!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Another great post, I hope you are keeping all of these safe for the no doubt best seller biography/ weight loss book you will have to publish! Enjoy your Godiva!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What an amazing post! I agree with you wholeheartedly! I still enjoy treats, sometimes daily, but it has to fit into my calories. I get a Hershey's special dark king size bar and it lasts me several weeks. I think I'll order me some Godiva and test it out. :)

You won this case!! :):drinker: