Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan?? Which are you?

Options

Replies

• KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 25 years...
  • OneGearManiac
    Options
    My family has been heavily impacted by cancer, which help me solidify my decision to never eat anything from an animal again. I have been plant-based now for just about a year, and all I can say is... "I feel amazing". This is huge for me since I probably consumed more animal products during my life than the average american, due to following a bodybuilder lifestyle.

Although I'm no longer a bodybuilder, I still stay pretty fit doing workouts similar to Crossfit and riding mountain bikes. One of the big benefits that I have seen from eating plant-based is recovery and stamina. For instance, I have been riding only about 4 to 5 times a month on my road or mount bike, and yesterday we went to Tahoe and hammered out a 30 mile mountain bike ride at 8000+ feet in 3.5 hours. Today, although i'm a little tired, my legs are not sore nor did I experience any lactic acid build up during the ride.

If you think you need to eat animal to get your protein, then ask yourself this. "How many people do I know who are protein deficient?" just a question... :)
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    With no further ado..... Bring on the beef!!!
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a big meat eater for sure. I have nothing against vegetarians/vegans, and I feel like if I never question them on their choices, they shouldn't question me on mine. To each their own:)

This plus one. Been with my vegitarian wife for 12 years. Yet on my birthday she takes me to a steak house to get my rare steak. I eat meat with almost every meal. Except on her birthdays lol. A favorite was the moosewood in Ithaca. Or the meltingpot. ( thank heavens she does cheese!!!)

I will add that I've moved from hamburger to turkey for almost everything and the red stuff is now a super treat. I don't miss it as much as I thought.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Veggie for life (pesto)

I eat eggs, fish & dairy products

Did you know that New Balance trainers are suitable for vegetarians (I believe they are the only ones)

I have tried said trainers with ketchup and mayo but you know I just don't like the taste. :laugh:

My wife & children are all meat eaters
  • ThatGirI
    ThatGirI Posts: 3
    Options
    Pescatarian.
  • thinunfit
    thinunfit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i tend to cycle from raw vegan 70% of the week and the remaining i eat fish,dairy and cooked veggies
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Meateater, wanting to turn vegetarian one day though.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    vegan :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Um, kudos for having a doctor with a brain in their head willing to give u good advice that goes against big pharm. two thumbs up!

Never fear, I've got plenty of big pharm, too. ACE inhibitor, beta blocker, diuretic, blood thinner, etc. etc. Most likely, I'll be on all of them for the rest of my life. I may be able to get rid of some of them once I get the valve replaced, but maybe not. There's a lot of damage. Definitely I'll be on the blood thinner for the rest of my life. But I'm OK with that. But as for the diet...Yeah, the doc's pretty savvy. Or maybe it's just because the issue is that my liver is being starved of oxygen and there's no drug that can fix that, aside from treating the heart condition that's causing the starvation. In the meantime, I need to baby it and hope that the damage that's been done can heal without scarring. But it's kind of a Catch-22; the liver needs protein to heal but too much will just make it work harder and cause more damage. So, it's a careful balancing act, and plant proteins are better for me than animal ones. At the moment, at least. But really, even if that changes I see no reason to go back to eating dairy/eggs. I get plenty of (complete) protein and plenty of vitamins and minerals (including calcium, since I love me some greens) without them, without any cholesterol and without any unhealthy fat. All I do is take a B vitamin supplement. Good to go.

Well, assuming that I can find something to cure the yogurt want, that is...

You can make your own coconut milk yogurt and kefir. Kefir is even easier to make than yogurt. I agree that rice milk yogurt is gross--but coconut milk yogurt isn't half bad--especially when you put some fruit in it. My hubby is allergic to dairy and eats it all the time. :smile:
  • angelsandhealth
    Options
    <<< vegan <3
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My family has been heavily impacted by cancer, which help me solidify my decision to never eat anything from an animal again. I have been plant-based now for just about a year, and all I can say is... "I feel amazing". This is huge for me since I probably consumed more animal products during my life than the average american, due to following a bodybuilder lifestyle.

Although I'm no longer a bodybuilder, I still stay pretty fit doing workouts similar to Crossfit and riding mountain bikes. One of the big benefits that I have seen from eating plant-based is recovery and stamina. For instance, I have been riding only about 4 to 5 times a month on my road or mount bike, and yesterday we went to Tahoe and hammered out a 30 mile mountain bike ride at 8000+ feet in 3.5 hours. Today, although i'm a little tired, my legs are not sore nor did I experience any lactic acid build up during the ride.

If you think you need to eat animal to get your protein, then ask yourself this. "How many people do I know who are protein deficient?" just a question... :)

Do you have any links/info about cancers and meat? I've also got a big family tree of cancers and never really thought of meat being a part of that equation-would love to learn some more info on why you decided to cut it out as a cancer preventative :) You can pm me the info if you'd like-thanks!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Total omnivore here. I wasn't much of a meat eater back when I was unhealthy -- for years I was Ms. All Carbs, All The Time -- but now that I'm trying to hit healthy macros and sustain my workouts, I have some form of flesh daily.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, I eat organic eggs but no other dairy. So I guess I'm something inbetween vegetarian and vegan... :wink:
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I love dairy, I can't stand meat, I eat fish every now and then. Not a big fan of eggs either but I'm trying to eat some more since I'm always low on proteins and I can't find fat-free/low-fat dairy where I live.
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vegan
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    More or less vegetarian but not by choice.

Lousy eating followed by SUPER low carb dieting led to kidney issues so now I'm under Drs orders to limit my protein. A piece of meat skyrockets me over my protein allotment so now I'm a VERY UNWILLING vegetarian. It sucks swamp *kitten*.
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    omnivore ! My cows are already vegetarian. :)
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian. I eat eggs, but I've recently been cutting back on dairy as I've been getting headaches that I think might be related to dairy consumption. I do plan on transitioning to veganism eventually, though.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I first glanced at that this post, I thought I read man eater. Ha, was going to be like ME!!!!!

But, serious talk I'm a meat eater, but I keep red meat limited.