Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Irrational fears

Replies

• Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Balloons! I hate hate HATE them, I am terrified of them popping near me and will run away when I see a kid with one lol
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    I am freaked out by frogs as well. There was one summer our entire front of our house was covered in tree frogs. OMG, I didn't want to go out or if I found I way out I didn't want to go back in. It was awful
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    My sister-in-law HATES the biscuit cans too and tries to make her kids open them. She said one time she took one out that she was planning on cooking but got distracted. It got to room temp and when she went to peel the label, it popped on its own. She said she almost peed her pants I just wanted to share that with you. I have a lot of fears but I can't think of one particularly irrational one.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Open water. This seems rational until you realise I can freak myself out merely by tracking over the ocean in google earth. It's just so Empty!!!

Spiders - In the UK, not so much danger. But still, just no.

Earwigs. Oh lordy, earwigs. Worse than spiders. Horrid things. Arghy!

And now for the really weird:

Stroking carpet. Shake 'n' Vac ads make me want to hurl.
    Scratching through knitwear or - worse - tights.
    Anything too fine detail - I can't sew or draw straight lines because it's just too precise; my body rebels.

And The Wizard of Oz. I decided to watch it again when I turned 18 on the basis that I was an adult and should really grow up. Sobbing. Withhin 10 minutes. Sobbing behind my duvet, wedged deep into the corner of my room.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Women.
    Flying.

Not women flying. But...yeah...those two are my worst.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Clowns. I get nervous and sweaty just seeing a picture of one. So scary!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    I'm afraid of that trap-door-style ladder that you pull down to get to the attic. I'm afraid it will somehow collapse and hit me in the face. I have examined it carefully and I see that it is not going to happen, but I still fear it.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    I have goosebumps thinking about the biscuit grenade! Those freak me out!
  • You know those big trucks on the road carrying logs...somehow I can't drive behind them because I think that if something happens and logs get loose or something, they will somehow go straight off the back of the truck into my windshield.. they wouldn't roll side to side or anything involving gravity.. no, they would somehow hurl themselves directly back into my window, thus killing me.

Yup, I'm a weirdo. :)
  • When the toast pops out of the toaster it makes me jump EVERY TIME.

I'm not scared, and I know toast in - toast out...but it still gets me.

Also, I have an irrational fear of falling in the shower...

I always think it would suck to have a head full of shampoo or shaving cream on my legs and need an ambulance?!
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    I can climb up ladders all day, it is the climbing down part that completely immobilizes me with FEAR!

I feel like at any given moment the entire ladder is going to give out and I am going to come crashing down. But the climb up does not bother me one bit.

I feel the same but I have a reason. The ladder collapsed as I was going down.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    No phobia is rational.
    ~nods~

That aside. I can not bring myself to swim in fresh water unless it's a pool. I used to as a kid. But I can't do it now.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    I've always been scared to death of falling down a flight of stairs with one of my kids in my arms.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Public speaking. Which is weird since I have presented over 80 continuing legal education seminar speeches, and handled over a dozen jury trials. Once I've gotten the first few sentences out, everything is fine. But till then, whew!
  • I am terrified of the lose of control I get when I am tickled. My husband thought I was joking when I told him to NEVER touch my armpit area or I will literally punch him. There are about two other people in my life who tested my DO NOT TICKLE ME policy and they also received a punch in various location.

Being tickled freaks me OUT! I hate that my reflexes on my face are to smile while it happens which makes me even more angry inside!!! I am smiling while screaming in sheer rage while squirming around helplessly until the person backs off or I am able to control myself enough to defend myself. Tickle me and you will have more than just a bruised arm. Grrr...
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

My mom has the exact fear! She HATES the sound and will literally almost have an anxiety attack when she tries to open it, so she makes someone else do it. :laugh:

I have an irrational fear of bees, wasps and thunderstorms.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    And The Wizard of Oz. I decided to watch it again when I turned 18 on the basis that I was an adult and should really grow up. Sobbing. Withhin 10 minutes. Sobbing behind my duvet, wedged deep into the corner of my room.
    [/quote]

When I was 17 I couldnt watch it when my step mom would put it on for the kids. Im terrified of it.

Earwigs- I also share this fear with you, I had one crawl on my foot the other day, I wanted to puke lol.

The texture of cotton balls on teeth- Yes I know it just seems absolutely silly that someone would be doing that, but the sound and the texture, makes me shiver.

Open cupboards- I have OCD and cant stand it when a door or a cupboard is open . (I have a 4 year old little girl that used to play in them, I would walk around all day closing them).
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    talking to girls, have a fear of doing it and imagine lots of horrible things and think they basically won't want to know me

Best advice I ever heard on this:

"you are ALREADY not sleeping with her. So really - how much worse can it get? DO IT."

I have 3 completely irrational fears:

- being abducted by aliens.
    - shark attack
    - the fear that when I'm driving and someone in front of me throws a cigarette out of their window that as I'm driving over it, my car will suddenly have a MASSIVE gas leak, which gets ignited by the cigarette, turning my car into a FIREBALL.

:(
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Women.
    Flying.

Not women flying. But...yeah...those two are my worst.

Yep, flying is another one of mine!
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Ok so last night my daughters and I were making Pillsbury biscuits (you know the ones from the can). I absolutely HATE opening those cans!!! Yes, I know how stupid this sounds but there is something about not know when it is going to *pop* that scares the crap out of me!

The funniest part is that my daughters, who I have been able to con into opening them the last few times, are freaked out by it too. It was quite a sight.

What irrational fears do you have? I need a good laugh this morning :)

I thought I was the only one terrified of biscuit cans! I can open them, but I close my eyes and I jump and shriek every time. I prefer to make my biscuits from scratch or using a mix to avoid the cans though..lol