Food Scales, Need or not???

Options
I have been "Guess-timating" my portion sizes because I dont have a scale. I usually round up when in doubt but do you guys think a scale is a diet must have????

Replies

• lessoff
    lessoff Posts: 19
    Options
    i use a food scale as much as possible. i like to over estimate like crazy.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely yes. You need scales and you should use them all the time. Chances are that you have no idea how much a portion of anything is so lack of measuring defeats the purpose of logging.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i don't weigh my food and have had no issue, although everyone is different!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I throw everything on the scales, you Would b amazed at how easy it is to over estimate portion sizes!
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes Weigh Weigh Weigh . Its too easy to under or over estimate what you are eating , almost all my food gets weighed .
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    LOVE my food scales! I weigh everything! My biggest problem was UNDER-estimating everything so I was eating way more than i was logging. The only time I don't weigh is when I am eating out (obviously).

And weighing doesn't really take that much time. I have a notepad next to my food scales in the kitchen and I weigh everything before I start preparing and wrote down each ingredient and how much it weighs. I serve the same thing for my partner and I so I just halve the weight of everything and enter it in my diary. If there is anything i am eating that my partner is not then obviously I rented the whole amount for myself.

It really doesn't take much time or effort and it takes away the uncertainty of guesswork.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    We don't use it for calorie counting, but it is one of the most useful kitchen tools we have! We LOVE our kitchen scale!!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale right away - helps tons! Defintely a benefit :)
  • trish0018
    Options
    1 serving is equal to about the size of your fist. :)
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I throw everything on the scales, you Would b amazed at how easy it is to over estimate portion sizes!

^^^^^^^^^^^This
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Food Scale = No Excuses.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think it really helps tremendously. I weigh all dry foods, meats, cheeses and measure all liquids.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    If you intend to eat good whole foods, I can't see how you could possibly count calories without it. Otherwise you have to guess on fresh cuts of meat and all your produce.
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    I didn't realize how much I was over eating until I bought and used my scale. I thought that it would be a nuisance to weigh my food every time I eat, but I find that it really is one of the most helpful little tools.
  • abuch912
    abuch912 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what a portion size looked like so I definitely like using the scale. It helps me a lot to measure everything.
  • l1o9r9i9
    l1o9r9i9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love my food scale ! Keeps me on track .
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Buy it, you will be amazed how much more accurate things are in grams. That "cup of XX" serving size will weight a lot more than a serving. I could not believe it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a scale. You will likely be surprised by how much your eating vs what a potion size is.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes a food scale is a must. You can greatly underestimate calorie dense food without one. Peanut butter is a good example.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My food scale is front and center for everything. I have even taken it on vacation. I weigh everything. You would be surprised to se a tablespoon worth versus weighing the grams. You can easily overestimate by double. Of course I used to work in a laboratory and weighing things on a scale in grams is second nature to me.