Food Scales, Need or not???

Options

Replies

• MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes! I was managing with a very old kitchen scale and I was sure it wasn't accurate so I bought a new one at Asda (Walmart) £9 they're digital and you can re-set to 0 between ingredients. I feel so much more confident that I'm logging what I'm really eating, not what I think I'm eating. Obviously eating out I have to estimate, but seeing what the true weight of stuff is helps in gauging that I'm sure.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Get a scale! I use it multiple times a day along with my measuring spoons and cups.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't have one (having one has never interested me) and I've lost weight just fine. Normally for foods it shows a serving size weight but also volume, I always just use the volume. People will say that's less accurate but hey, I haven't any issues. The weight has come off right on track!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything. it helps me get my portion sizes back to reality :)
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I automatically weigh everything now. I used to measure with cups and measuring spoons, but stuff settles and/or you can easily overfill a cup with dry food. Now I know everything is accurate. I got mine for Xmas last year and it was my favorite gift!
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I use mine all the time, best investment I've made :)
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you want to have a good estimate of the calories you take in, you need to measure portions. Just guessing may be ok for some people, but some things are very deceptive. Take nuts for example...calorie dense food (~170/serving for almonds) where a serving is 1/4 cup or about 30 g...a handful of nuts is more like 1.5 or 2 servings. If you grab say 3 handfuls during a day thinking you are eating 1 serving and logging 510 calories, but are actually eating 765 or 1020 you are not accurately capturing the calories you are taking in and slowing or stopping your weight loss.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure EVERYTHING.

You weigh yourself to see how much you weigh. Why wouldn't you weigh your food?
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I was amazed after getting my food scale at how much more than a cup you can fit into a measuring cup. It's pretty easy to be 10% inaccurate and if you're cutting calories by 10-20% to achieve weight loss, you can sabotage that goal pretty easily with inaccurate measurements. Yes, you can solve that by erring on the side of caution, but I prefer just plain not erring.

Other perks: washing less measuring cups, and if you're a baker, weighing flour makes things come out way better than trying to measure it.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Absolutely need, you can get them pretty cheap at Walmart or Target....
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes...get one! I've used one for cooking for a long time; however, in logging foods it's so useful in checking portion sizes. My biggest surprise: fruit! Measure in grams and use the non-asterisked entries in the database. You will find you underestimate some things and over estimate others.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yes i think they are vital just so i dont over or under do it
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just bought one, it's being shipped. I need to get a better grip on my portion sizes...not that I am not losing weight, but I want to be more accurate.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    yup
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get one
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    For me, definite need!! I use it more than almost anything else in my kitchen!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my scale!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Personally, I rely on the food scale and measuring cups every day. It helps me keep things real. :)
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    They are only like $20 at Walmart. .... mine was a huge help! I learned a lot about food portions. I recommend yes. It's a good tool to have if you will use it.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    The digital scales offer great accuracy,I have been using one since 2006. Though, I haven't used it much since this past January. I am certain my portion sizes have grown considerably but so far I am not concerned. I think you can wing it with measuring cups and spoons.