Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options
Read this interesting article - seems to make sense, so I am going to find my dumb bells and get some strength training in....

http://www.coachcalorie.com/strength-training-for-weight-loss/

Does anyone else agree?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Strength training CAN be a cardiovascular workout, that doesn't mean it always is.

I think both are important for overall health and weight loss.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Again
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Again

Ditto!
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.

if you are lifting and exercising and still eating more than you burn, you will not necessarily get fat, you will gain weight. You can gain muscle weight and/or fat weight. As for Strength Training being the real fat burner, the more muscle you have, the more you will burn at rest, therefore the more fat you will burn at rest.
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great article. I have seen great results from strength training, a somewhat clean diet, and some minimal cardio. I make sure to lift heavy to really push myself, because that is when I see the changes.
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Okay, that's great advice.

So will watch my intake - eat less junk, stay within my calorie goals, exercise more and include some strength training. Weight should drop off.............right?:smile:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    ...annnnnd....one more time.
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Point taken :-)
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Yes diet is 80% of it. But studies have also shown that people who add strength training to their exercise routine burn more fat/calories than doing cardio alone. Part of this is because you are doing more(?) and the other part is that you are building muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Yes diet is 80% of it. But studies have also shown that people who add strength training to their exercise routine burn more fat/calories than doing cardio alone. Part of this is because you are doing more(?) and the other part is that you are building muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat.

How much muscle do you think is being built in the midst of a consistent caloric deficit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and sufficient rest are usually what I get my clients to key on more. So many don't get enough rest and it does have a direct impact on not only weight loss, but overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • racerscottw227
    Options

How much muscle do you think is being built in the midst of a consistent caloric deficit?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Not much, but some. More than anything strength training will help prevent some muscle loss. I've been on a consistent caloric deficit for two months now, but I am able to lift more than when I started. I'm not increasing reps/sets/weights rapidly, but I am increasing them.
  • vmerie
    vmerie Posts: 36
    Options
    Success to weight loss in order of importance:

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio
  • Acg67
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Not much, but some. More than anything strength training will help prevent some muscle loss. I've been on a consistent caloric deficit for two months now, but I am able to lift more than when I started. I'm not increasing reps/sets/weights rapidly, but I am increasing them.

Lolstrong as your source?

I agree though under certain conditions you can build muscle on a deficit. Also strength =/= hypertrophy
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Success to weight loss in order of importance:

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio

^^^^like!!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

Worth saying again right here...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/20/AR2007042001772.html

They're both effective - in fact they work better when done together. It's taken me a while to warm up to cardio, but I have noticed better stamina and feeling more fit overall after adding it to my weight routine.