Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think I burned some fat just reading this thread

No, you burned some *calories*.

The source of those calories is apparently the subject of much debate. Stay tuned for a general MFP consensus on the answer....(heh, yeah, right).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat

no

HELLL no!

cardio improves cardio vascular endurance.

And burns calories (not fat) like any other activity. To a much lesser degree than simply living your life, but it burns a few.

Don't be silly. Cardio burns a lot of calories and it burns fat too. As pointed out before a calorie deficit burns fat. If you create that deficit through cardio that doesn't change.

Moderate cardio bout - 250 cals burned. Being alive for a day - 1800 cals burned. And no, it does not burn fat. It burns calories. IF put puts you into a calorie deficit, then your BODY burns fat. If you are NOT in a calorie deficit, it doesn't burn fat.

My "body" burns fat? How does it do that, pray tell?

And the amount of calories burned during cardio varies greatly based on several variables. There is no "moderate cardio burn 250" rule, especially without even identfying a timeframe.

Yes, your body burns fat. WTF else do you think would be doing it? Magic? Go read something real. let's say 3mph for 60 minutes. That is moderate, and would burn in the neighborhood of 250. For me anyway.

Chilax, dude! I never said it didn't burn fat. I asked how it burns fat, As in, 'what causes it to burn fat'? It burns it for energy, of course. Such as energy for cardio exercise (among other things).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You don't burn calories. A calorie is simply a unit of measurement. You burn either fat, carbohydrate, or protein and the energy released is measured in calories.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Chilax, dude! I never said it didn't burn fat. I asked how it burns fat, As in, 'what causes it to burn fat'? It burns it for energy, of course. Such as energy for cardio exercise (among other things).

Fat is lost If and only if you are in a calorie deficit. It is not magically melted by cardio itself. Cardio is an optional tool for creating a calorie deficit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fat is lost If and only if you are in a calorie deficit. It is not magically melted by cardio itself. Cardio is an optional tool for creating a calorie deficit.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant when I posted "a calorie deficit burns fat. If you create that deficit through cardio that doesn't change" earlier in this same thread.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

As a matter of fact, NO moron ! I've seen your dismissvive replies in other forums and wonder, if your such an iron man, why don't you have more positive, concrete advice in place of snarky usless crap?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Strength training CAN be a cardiovascular workout, that doesn't mean it always is.

I think both are important for overall health and weight loss.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You got it

And diet as well :-) I'm loosing half my weight with diet and half with exercise
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    This thread has gone from answered...to retarded.
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Success to weight loss in order of importance:

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio

^^^ This here.

I've had a ton of success doing programs on bodybuilding.com and eating well. I feel amazing!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...

Gotta give this post of the day!!! :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Read this interesting article - seems to make sense, so I am going to find my dumb bells and get some strength training in....

http://www.coachcalorie.com/strength-training-for-weight-loss/

Does anyone else agree?

I completely agree. When I started the strength training, inches began melting off. It makes a huge difference.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think I burned some fat just reading this thread

I think I lost some brain cells reading this thread. Or maybe just reading past the 1st page.

And in the words of the Hodge Twins....'what you think you're burning?! Bone cells?!'
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

As a matter of fact, NO moron ! I've seen your dismissvive replies in other forums and wonder, if your such an iron man, why don't you have more positive, concrete advice in place of snarky usless crap?

uh oh, someone got their feelings hurt by a complete stranger over the internet!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.

Thanks for playing anyway...:laugh:

missingthepoint.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You don't burn calories. A calorie is simply a unit of measurement. You burn either fat, carbohydrate, or protein and the energy released is measured in calories.

You actually do not burn anything. You oxidize acetates derived from fats, protein and carbohydrates. But, in general, people do understand what is meant by burning calories. One uses up the equivalent energy measure derived from a variety of sources..
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You actually don't burn oxidized acetates, jesus and several cheribums come down and produce the change in your body through the power of the holy spirit, amen.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This thread has gone from answered...to retarded.

20774d1134590211-hijack-thread-hijack.gif
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    why are people so hung up on terminology - burning fat, calories, energy, carbs - doesn't bother me at all lol . I know if I exercise and eat well my health improves and I loose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

uh oh, someone got their feelings hurt by a complete stranger over the internet!

So you think you hurt her feelings? I doubt it from the tone of her post. It is called constructive criticism. Get a clue. :wink: