Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then we can agree that different people reach success by different approaches?

I would prefer to agree that different people have different definitions of "success"

I don't believe in science unless it's Bro Science.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I like to strength train and do cardio so that I can eat more and still lose weight.

I love food.

Plus after I have lost enough weight to no longer be obese I will still have some muscle to start building on.

I want to be toned not "skinny fat" when I reach my goal.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Perhaps then we can agree that different people reach success by different approaches?

I would prefer to agree that different people have different definitions of "success"

agreed. Some people don't mind having loose skin hanging off their bones and being "skinny fat".

I prefer to have muscle and be fit. Lift Heavy. Squat heavier. Eat More. :P
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important. Too many focus on just cardio.

Eating less is what makes you lose fat. You can't burn off eating too much with exercise. Most people don't realize they eat more than they need and it builds up over the years. We live with an over abundance of food and lack of exercise and everyone looking for the magic pill.

Strength training is important for keeping your lean body mass and especially for women keeping you from getting osteoporosis.

Girls are afraid of gaining muscle. We don't have the hormones to get big so do not worry, you won't get big if you don't do steriods. I am a perfect example. I lift heavy but I am still feminine, and my 51.5 year old bones are that of a super atletic 30 year old according to the DXA bone density test. No worry about osteoporosis in my future.

May I just say that the author of this post is one HOT LADY!!! :noway:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

I would say that "some" think there is only one way to be "successful".
    Now take my hand let me show you the way....cause I am right:angry:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Absolutely!! Not everyone wants the same look in the end. And some care more about health than looks. It doesn't make anyone wrong.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat

no

HELLL no!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat

no

HELLL no!

cardio improves cardio vascular endurance.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong believer in the weight training. Not just for weight loss but to have an overall more solid physique. Even women should be strength training. Don't worry about bulking up. You won't unless you're really trying. What it will do is give you a more athletic look. That said, any exercise is good exercise. I don't care if it's just walking. If you're burning calories you weren't previously burning, then you'll do just fine as long as you keep within your caloric goal.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.

if you are lifting and exercising and still eating more than you burn, you will not necessarily get fat, you will gain weight. You can gain muscle weight and/or fat weight. As for Strength Training being the real fat burner, the more muscle you have, the more you will burn at rest, therefore the more fat you will burn at rest.

What John said. I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women, it makes sense!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

wrong they are purple, and weigh about half of what a purse weighs.

LOL ....which can very heavy!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Yeah different definitions of success.

Like others see success as "I've dropped 5 pounds"

I see success as "I am now more physically capable of doing specific tasks, and since I'm lighter I can do them faster."

Yeah mine is this with a main course of "I look better naked" Lifting weights is the best exercise for looking better naked. Since that is my main goal, that is the exercise I do.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

no

HELLL no!

And burns calories (not fat) like any other activity. To a much lesser degree than simply living your life, but it burns a few.
  • bcattoes
    Options

no

HELLL no!

And burns calories (not fat) like any other activity. To a much lesser degree than simply living your life, but it burns a few.

Don't be silly. Cardio burns a lot of calories and it burns fat too. As pointed out before a calorie deficit burns fat. If you create that deficit through cardio that doesn't change.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

no

HELLL no!

Don't be silly. Cardio burns a lot of calories and it burns fat too. As pointed out before a calorie deficit burns fat. If you create that deficit through cardio that doesn't change.

Moderate cardio bout - 250 cals burned. Being alive for a day - 1800 cals burned. And no, it does not burn fat. It burns calories. IF put puts you into a calorie deficit, then your BODY burns fat. If you are NOT in a calorie deficit, it doesn't burn fat.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Sleeping is good exercise for fat burning.

OK, is is a sensationalist comment but unless you are on a very low calorie diet then during the day you are eating calories at a higher rate than you are using them, i.e. putting on fat and then at night while you are asleep you are not taking in calories but you are still using them so you are then using the fat you put on during the day.

So, you lose fat overall if the amount of fat you put on during the day is smaller than the amount you use during the night.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Again

Still?
  • bcattoes
    Options

no

HELLL no!

Moderate cardio bout - 250 cals burned. Being alive for a day - 1800 cals burned. And no, it does not burn fat. It burns calories. IF put puts you into a calorie deficit, then your BODY burns fat. If you are NOT in a calorie deficit, it doesn't burn fat.

My "body" burns fat? How does it do that, pray tell?

And the amount of calories burned during cardio varies greatly based on several variables. There is no "moderate cardio burn 250" rule, especially without even identfying a timeframe.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think I burned some fat just reading this thread
  • Determinednoob
    Options

no

HELLL no!

My "body" burns fat? How does it do that, pray tell?

And the amount of calories burned during cardio varies greatly based on several variables. There is no "moderate cardio burn 250" rule, especially without even identfying a timeframe.

Yes, your body burns fat. WTF else do you think would be doing it? Magic? Go read something real. let's say 3mph for 60 minutes. That is moderate, and would burn in the neighborhood of 250. For me anyway.