I want to RUN.....

Options
124»

Replies

• glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    Read Chi-Running. No pain in my knees or anywhere else after reading it and applying the technique! May not work for everyone, but it has for me!

^^^^^ +1.

Chi-Running or POSE would be my suggestions if you are starting from scratch. I do agree with getting fitted at a proper running store, but I would try and have an understanding of how you run/want to run before spending the money on proper shoes. I personally run in Newton Gravitas and absolutely love them. I have run in Nike's, Merrill Trail Gloves, New Balance Minimus, Etc, but found that I can really picked up the distance and lowered recovery since obtaining my Newtons. C25K is a great program. If you have access through health insurance, I would also recommend going and seeing a Physical Therapist and talk to them about your goals. They should be able to help you gain strength where needed and work on ankle/knee/hip mobility/flexibility which will greatly improve your running experience. Listen to your body and enjoy running your race! Best of luck to you.
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I starting training last year in January for a marathon in September (last year). I finished the marathon in 7 hours. Definitely very slow, but I still did it. My running partner and I decided that we were the "last winners", since it was such a long distance.

I started with couch to 5K. It was a great way to start. In my training, I ended up doing too much too soon and gave myself a stress fracture increasing from 8 to 10 miles later in my training. I do know that you shouldn't really increase more than 10% per week. I agree with everyone here...get good shoes....do the research and use some of the "shoe picker" apps. They do help. I now use vibrams 5 fingers and LOVE them, but I don't know about doing my really long runs in them as I'm not running like I used to. I would also suggest that you set up a race in a reasonable amount of time down the road, pay for it, and make the plans to go (pay for them too), then you have no way of not doing it and must do the training.

I love the idea "last winners"....Awesome!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that running is 95% mental.

I started with C25K and most of my runs when i hit around 2.5k my mind is telling me" i cant do this" and "im too big to do this" but i battle on and once ive past the 2.5k mark its as if i settle in and off i go
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    bump!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I started by jumping on the treadmill. I still haven't started outside but just push yourself a little more everyday. You will get better and better at it and begin running for longer periods. My goal everyday is to run a mile faster than I did the day before and also see how long I can run at 5.5 mph for.

OH AND..

7875598282_a910d75060.jpg
    IMG_3653 by dandaninc, on Flickr

i'm going to start doing this