Tired of all the "real dieters"

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    OFF TOPIC - Jeez, I just finished reading this whole thread and there is a a banner at the top advertising a BJ's Pizza meal with soup and dessert for two for $19.95 and a banner at the size for a Certified Trainer School. Really moderators?

ON TOPIC - I actually find these posts / topics useful/informative. It really reenforces two things: 1) we must be aware of what we eat / and how much we exercise and 2) we all have to figure it out by doing.

Logging on MFP makes those two things happen for me… vive la difference!

PS.. the doctor I visited with really emphasized that at each stage of life or at least every decade we most be aware of changes in our bodies and how we eat and care for them.
  • lovemydogjake
    lovemydogjake Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So chiming in - I started MFP with certain goals and it assigned me 1200 calories a day. Most days I met that but I thought it was good to be under when I exercised so I left myself under goal. After reading posts over the last few weeks I know that is not the answer. I actually recalculated my calorie intake goal using the BMR as someone suggested and I now get over 250 more calories a day. I also eat up to my calories when I exercise.

So maybe education is the key - I always thought I was knowledgable about healthy eating but realized I didn't know it all. I appreciate all the support and posts because it helps me make better choices for maintaining a lifelong journey.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! A diet is something that only lasts a certain amount of time. A lifestyle change is just that- changing your lifestyle to better suit your health.
  • BARBY1956
    Options
    How do you feel about people eating 4,000 calories everyday trying to gain weight, and then they complain that they lost 2 pounds over the weekend?

Jealous...:ohwell:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    OFF TOPIC - Jeez, I just finished reading this whole thread and there is a a banner at the top advertising a BJ's Pizza meal with soup and dessert for two for $19.95 and a banner at the size for a Certified Trainer School. Really moderators?

ON TOPIC - I actually find these posts / topics useful/informative. It really reenforces two things: 1) we must be aware of what we eat / and how much we exercise and 2) we all have to figure it out by doing.

Logging on MFP makes those two things happen for me… vive la difference!

PS.. the doctor I visited with really emphasized that at each stage of life or at least every decade we most be aware of changes in our bodies and how we eat and care for them.

The ads you see are based off of your broswer history - so right now, I'm seeing an ad for AT&T, because I was on their site yesterday to pay my bill. You (or someone who uses your computer) were probably looking at a pizza recipe, restaurant website, etc for that to show up for you. And the trainer ad suggests you were reading the fitness threads.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Only the defensive seem to see it as judgmental...those individuals who want to justify their habits. This post was a "response" tithe thread condemning "fake dieters" so if you didn't read that thread then this post kind of lack context. In any case I wasn't judging anyone--expressing disapproval of changes that are unhealthy, yes. this is not the same as judging the individual.

People need to learn. You can't just be perfect from the word go. Were you?

I mean, you don't look that lean to me - do you need help from me to lean out some more?

okay *kitten*...you're just TRYING to piss me off. I don't NEED to be any leaner..if you know anything at all you know that women should not drop into the single digit bodyfat levels. I've been 11-12% and you know what--I screwed up my hormones. What I don't need is someone like you TRYING to make me feel like I should be a work in progress when it comes to my bodyfat. I am as low as I need/should be. Thank you for winning the jerk of the day award. I'll willing take the brunt of it so others don't have to. Oh, and next time you want to offer "HELP" to a female with sub 20% bodyfat you might do it in a PM if you really care about the spectators/others on the thread--how utterly disgusting and rude of you.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You can't eat sweets every day!

Why not? If it fits your calories and macros, why not?

A little over a week ago, I made a pile of mini cupcakes. I took most of them to a party at my brother's, and kept about a dozen and a half for myself.

Two of those cupcakes are 95 calories. If I'm hitting close to my macro goals, there's plenty of wiggle room for some goodies. Damn straight I'm eating sweets every day.

In my eyes, sweets are something to enjoy in moderation...if you are saving room in your calorie/macro goals for sweets daily, I feel that is not moderation. Its empty nutrition...I would rather use my calories for actual nutrients than those empty calories. But that's just me...by all means if you feel that it is working for you, then who am I to say that you are doing it wrong. But for the majority of people, I don't feel that sweets should be consumed daily.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

I think it's commendable that for YOU it's mot a dirty word. I think the negative connotation comes from the fact that people abuse "DIETS" and for most people it is temporary. It's a means to reach their goals but not something they'd ever consider long term. That's not ideal, in my opinion. You've proven that you CAN and intend to keep "dieting" in order to manage your weight. I applaud you. I think that with you the term "diet" is a matter of semantics and you don't fit the norm. Way to go! (I'm being serious...not at all sarcastic but without inflection it might be difficult to tell).
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Only the defensive seem to see it as judgmental...those individuals who want to justify their habits. This post was a "response" tithe thread condemning "fake dieters" so if you didn't read that thread then this post kind of lack context. In any case I wasn't judging anyone--expressing disapproval of changes that are unhealthy, yes. this is not the same as judging the individual.

People need to learn. You can't just be perfect from the word go. Were you?

I mean, you don't look that lean to me - do you need help from me to lean out some more?

OP, my girlfriend is plenty lean, strong and fit as hell. She doesn't need help from anyone on how to perform a cut in a HEALTHY manner. Her knowledge of the endocrine system, metabolic functions, etc. is on par if not greater than mine, and I've studied these subjects extensively while a pre-med student and as a nutrition food science graduate student. There is no need for women to get any leaner unless they want to deal with amenorrhea, and other detrimental and sometimes permanent hormonal issues. But it appears that you wouldn't know anything about that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think it's commendable that for YOU it's mot a dirty word. I think the negative connotation comes from the fact that people abuse "DIETS" and for most people it is temporary. It's a means to reach their goals but not something they'd ever consider long term. That's not ideal, in my opinion. You've proven that you CAN and intend to keep "dieting" in order to manage your weight. I applaud you. I think that with you the term "diet" is a matter of semantics and you don't fit the norm. Way to go! (I'm being serious...not at all sarcastic but without inflection it might be difficult to tell).

Yeah, I get that many people only think of diets in terms of named diets (Atkins diet, cabbage soup diet, 17 day diet, etc.). But your diet is simply the foods you choose to consume. Technically everyone that eats anything is on a diet.

But what I don't get is why so many think a "diet" is temporary but the "lifestyle change" is not. The fact that you are making a lifestyle change proves that a lifestyle can be temporary. It's just a pet peeve of mine. :flowerforyou:
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    okay *kitten*...you're just TRYING to piss me off. I don't NEED to be any leaner..if you know anything at all you know that women should not drop into the single digit bodyfat levels. I've been 11-12% and you know what--I screwed up my hormones. What I don't need is someone like you TRYING to make me feel like I should be a work in progress when it comes to my bodyfat. I am as low as I need/should be. Thank you for winning the jerk of the day award. I'll willing take the brunt of it so others don't have to. Oh, and next time you want to offer "HELP" to a female with sub 20% bodyfat you might do it in a PM if you really care about the spectators/others on the thread--how utterly disgusting and rude of you.

:huh: I thought you where the one telling others how they should eat? Why do you even bother. Live and let live. Do what feels good for you. Let others learn from their own mistakes if they even make one.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I would love to see one of you guys post a success story showing what you really eat and do. It would be very inspirational for someone like me whose just starting out. I'm doing my best to not starve myself and eat right and it does make a big difference. I can't imagine going hungry if my body needs it. Either way, would love to see a success story by someone who eats lots and exercises too. :happy:

My diary is open; I work out 6 days/week, and eat around 1500 calories every day.... sometimes more. I'm never starving!

And I've lost 35 pounds since January :)
    Options

:huh: I thought you where the one telling others how they should eat? Why do you even bother. Live and let live. Do what feels good for you. Let others learn from their own mistakes if they even make one.

I don't think that there was a single thing wrong with saying 1) treats can be had in moderation 2) exercising while attempting to lose weight will preserve LBM and result in a "better" aesthetic upon reaching goal and 3) eating 1200 calories while working out intensely can be quite harmful. So...because I've said these things I deserve to be told that I'm packing extra fat? Wow. I'll leave you both to that opinion.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i love it when people who haven't had a lot of weight to lose, nor had life events that cause weight gain, come around and make up these threads that try and call others out and dictate to them what they do wrong and why they are fat.
    full of win!
    Options
    i love it when people who haven't had a lot of weight to lose, nor had life events that cause weight gain, come around and make up these threads that try and call others out and dictate to them what they do wrong and why they are fat.
    full of win!

did i call out all "others" or did I specifically point to a certain class of dieters? yo-yo dieters and people starving themselves under the guise of being "healthy" if I remember correctly. So, you agree with yo-yo dieting and/or starvation? Nice one.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

A) they're eating 1200 (or fewer) calories and working out intensely

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.

"eating rabbit food everyday" - Don't be so dismissive.

"To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off." - Most people can fuel their body very well without junk food. Nowhere in the RDA does it say you need a daily portion of junk.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    full of win!

did i call out "others" or did I specifically point to a certain class of dieters? yo-yo dieters if I remember correctly. So, you agree with yo-yo dieting? Nice one.

yo-yo dieting is a fact of life. sometimes you are successful, sometimes you fall off. you get back up and try again.
    perhaps this is something that you dont really understand since you haven't seemed to ever be in that place.

edited to add that you dont seem to know what the word "yo-yo" dieting means. its not based on how much you eat or if you only eat "rabbit food" (the best food on gods green earth!)
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

A) they're eating 1200 (or fewer) calories and working out intensely

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.

"eating rabbit food everyday" - Don't be so dismissive.

"To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off." - Most people can fuel their body very well without junk food. Nowhere in the RDA do you need a daily portion of junk.

I didn't say yes...you MUST eat something "junky" ..I said you CAN. Big difference. How many of your friends have berated themselves over eating something "bad" because they think it's going to completely ruin their progress? Or someone who dives head first into a plate of cookies at a family get together because they've restricted them for so long and have finally snapped? If you've never seen it them stick around a little longer; I see it almost daily.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's sooooooooooooo encouraging to see that these forums aren't comprised merely of those who seek "skinny-fat-dumb" eating very few calories (most from pre-packaged foods like bars and healthy choice or weight watchers meals, etc) that are loaded with chemicals and additives and all sorts of goodness-knows-what-else that will pickle you long before you stop breathing. I've only found this site (through the mobile app LOL) a few days ago. Since I have *this much* knowledge about the way things work and all THE WRONG ways to live I was a bit shocked and dismayed at the site giving someone of my height and weight a daily caloric intake of 1200!! I was like, "What... are these people nuts?!?!" So, of course, I customized my settings to also include the proper macro rations of 40 (P), 30 (Carb) and 30 (F). Admittedly, I have a hard time eating enough clean calories (due to GI issues and surgeries I've had to correct them that only made them worse), I am literally stuffed after a good sized yam and several eggs. So I do my best to eat many small portions. I hate to supplement with protein powder but I have to, otherwise I miss my protein intake goal.

Anyways, I was so bothered by this low caloric intake suggestion that I wrote an email to the site admin about it. I got a REALLY QUICK and detailed response. While I do understand that one is supposed to burn off calories with exercise too (in my mind that is a given, but I suppose that those of us who have been in the gym for over 20 years get that, not every one is like us) and those calories are deducted to give you a number of net calories consumed per day. It still seems in my mind not the best way to encourage those folks who haven't clue one about BMI or BMR. I think it would be better to break it down like fitday.com does, but I suppose that is just stuck in my head because fitday.com was once the go-to online food and exercise dairy.

Since I am now at a point in my life where I am truly paying attention to my overall nutritional intake (this helps me decide what types of foods I eat in order to meet my caloric goals) I find fitday.com's specific USRDA nutritional breakdown of your food intake to be EXTREMELY helpful. I asked the administrators if they could add this type of a feature to this site for those of us who are "nit-picky" about these details. I suppose us old folks just pay more attention to the types of things that we would take for granted before our joints started to hurt, hormones got out of whack, and all of the other "pesky side-effects" of getting older.

*steps off soapbox*

Glad that I found this forum and you folks. Please friend request or accept my request if you happen to be like minded. I would appreciate seeing your feedback in my friends newsfeed. I don't just want to be the person that feels the need to *****slap those who just don't get it. After 13+ years of doing that IRL and online, I'm worn out. I would like to get encouragement by seeing those who are more interested in building and maintaining lean mass while also pursuing a healthy lifestyle comprised of balance.

BE WELL EVERYONE! :flowerforyou: