What do you think about Interracial relationships?

Options

Replies

• histwinkletoes
    histwinkletoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm Hispanic and my husband is white. We've been happily married for 7 years and have never had any issues whatsoever. My family loves him and his family loves me.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Didn't even know it was an issue anymore...certainly, as a society weve come further than that! Good luck and God bless. BE HAPPY and treat each other well and it's all good!

Agree it should have, to bad it is not reality!:grumble: it takes thousands of years for things like this to change in whole. Consider some are still alive from the time of ignorance about color race ( to put it mildly) in America. It has a long way to go. :sad:
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I date black men and I have a biracial daughter. I've never looked at someone and seen color, just the person. It is still an issue today for a lot if ignorant people, but I don't live my life off of what others might think.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is black and ofcourse, I am white.. And to make us even more "different" I am from Canada and he is from the US. I feel like so many people are judgemental of us. And assume, I am a trashy white girl and he is a ghetto black guy. This is not the case. He is educated and may dress a certain way, but is far from what people perceive him to be. I'm so tired of people judging our relationship based on our difference in cultures. I see him as a person, I don't think of the color of his skin everyday. What do you all feel about interracial relationships? Have you ever been in one or are you in one? And by interracial, I obviously don't just mean black and white relationships.

Why do you think people are judging you?

I think that there are people out there that are still narrow-minded, but I think that most people believe that as long as 2 people are happy together no matter what (race, gender, etc), they should be allowed to be together.

Do people say things to you to make you feel judged?

Are you sure the judgment is external?
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    You are both human, right?

nuff said
    :happy:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My two older boys are mixed (with white) so I always support interracial couples although I havent been in one since the 1990's when it was "sorta ok". Now it seems like thats "old"..The new thing is gay couples or lesbian couples. Nothing surprises me any more.

If you are getting stares thats "shocking". Sometimes though people are just "looking" and NOT because you are interacial. I get stares all the time..normally from chicks wanting to get with 'BigCed"..lol. But hey best of luck to you guys.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm pro-happiness :wink:
    ^^^^^^ absolutely this
  • beckajw
    Options
    Black and white? Fine.

Canadian and American? That's the work of the devil right there.

:laugh:
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    wow, what year are you writing this? Geez, I'm from the South and I know of people who were together and married and black and white (he was black and she was white) and people did freak out but that was in the 70's!
    Is this race **** still such a big deal? OMG! Who cares what anyone thinks if YOU are happy. I"m married to a man who is 40 and I am 52..... should I care?

I think that people need to get their noses out of other ppls businesses. Whatever two consenting adults want to do (that is legal!) is up to them.

PS: If it is your "Friends" giving you hell, maybe reconsider your friendships... look for more open minded, non-bigoted ppl?
    Also, I thought Canadians were a lot more open minded than us Americans? :)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Currently in one. I'm black (to put it bluntly) and my boyfriend is white. I guess technically you could say that I'm bi-racial, since my parents were an interracial couple as well (white mom, black dad.), so naturally I don't see anything wrong with it. To top it off, we live right smack next to San Francisco. xD So yeah, a lot more tolerance over here, but we do get the occasional "look" every now and then. Hell, I even get them from his friends sometimes, like they don't really think it's going to last. You just kind of have to accept the fact that not everyone is used to the idea, and think of how awesome it'll feel when you finally prove them wrong~

How is it that we could "technically" say you are biracial? You are. By calling yourself black,when your mother is white, is denying your mother, and half of who you are. Sounds like you are ashamed you are half white? Yet you are dating a white guy....

To the OP, love whoever you want as long as they make you happy!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    As a Libertarian, I would never judge you for your relationship choice.. But from my own experience, relationships are hard enough without the additional burden of the clash of cultures.. Relationships definitely involve more than just the two of you.. There's the extended family on both sides. As we all know, EVERY family has those busybody types that feel they can get in your business "because they love you"...

And then there's the possibility of the children that may result.. To which culture do they belong?..

Please dont assume that I'm xenophobic in any way..

I'm just trying to point out that you're really adding a layer of difficulty to your lives by building a relationship with someone from ANOTHER COUNTRY... :-)

I'm Latina. My husband is black. And, um, we are both from the same country. :flowerforyou:
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Didn't even know it was an issue anymore...certainly, as a society weve come further than that! Good luck and God bless. BE HAPPY and treat each other well and it's all good!

Agree it should have, to bad it is not reality!:grumble: it takes thousands of years for things like this to change in whole. Consider some are still alive from the time of ignorance about color race ( to put it mildly) in America. It has a long way to go. :sad:

Oh and I come from a father who Judges...I still do not and find it apart of ignorance that will unfortunatly be for years to come.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think they're great! I was married to a white guy, I'm East Indian...dated all different races through my life...

Be with who makes you happy...
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Love is love; it is not subjective! Screw those people that stare or judge you two. I'm in an interracial relationship (sounds weird saying it) and always have been. My kids are biracial or multiracial if you count my heritage but that doesn't matter. Sometimes I think people stare because they wonder, they wish or they think it's beautiful. I ignore ignorance! :)
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    I'm a dual citizen, Canadian and American (have lived in both countries), and my boyfriend is American, but living in Canada and haslived here before. We are both Western European White.

I've dated men from many different countries/cultures/religions. I don't have any issue with it.

That said, I definitely think that many people have a negative reaction, especially white women with black men. I totally agree with the OP that they assume the girl is trashy and dating beneath her while the guy is a stereotypical "gangsta".
  • beckajw
    Options
    My two older boys are mixed (with white) so I always support interracial couples although I havent been in one since the 1990's when it was "sorta ok". Now it seems like thats "old"..The new thing is gay couples or lesbian couples. Nothing surprises me any more.

If you are getting stares thats "shocking". Sometimes though people are just "looking" and NOT because you are interacial. I get stares all the time..normally from chicks wanting to get with 'BigCed"..lol. But hey best of luck to you guys.

^^ This exactly. I'm pregnant, so I go on pregnancy boards and see women talk about how they feel they are being judged because people are looking at them. But it's not always judgment. It's in the woman's head that someone is going to think a certain way about her and judge her. That may be in your head too. I'm not saying that no one who looks at you ever has a judgmental thought, but I think most looks are just looks that you wouldn't notice at all if you didn't (deep inside) feel that people were going to judge you.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is Hispanic and I'm caucasian-but-possibly-there-was-a-random-person-of-color-somewhere-in-our-family-tree-that-nobody-acknowledges. But for all cultural purposes, let's just say I'm a white girl. I see no problem here. My sister, also "white girl" (although she definitely looks a lot more caucasian than I do, I got the dark genes) only dates Black men. She has literally never dated a guy of any other race. I told her she was reverse racist lol girl won't even give a white/Hispanic/Asian/every other racial category dude a chance!

It doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what color a person's skin is. This is 2012, not 1955.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband is French/Native American/& other stuff and I am Korean-American. I was born here in the United States and raised in California till I was 18. My husband's family is very open and doesn't mind that he married a Asian woman (actually, I think that they are just happy he married a faithful woman, his last one was American but a cheating skank!). I will say though, his mother did ask me if I speak english and understand it and I thought that was a bit rude. I have almost a Masters degree so I'm more than educated enough to speak and understand english. However, we live in North Carolina and I will admit, sometimes I feel like people stare at us weird. I'm not sure if its because we are together or because their aren't a lot of Asians where we live. All in all, God made each of us who we are and I don't think there is anything wrong with interracial relationships :)
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There are people out there who will always judge. Ignore them and enjoy every minute with your guy.
  • akgirrrl34
    Options
    My fiance is black, and we have a GORGEOUS biracial daughter....but we get the stares sometimes....you'd think in this day and age people would be more accepting of it, but not the case " (