Has anyone tried the 3-day diet with success?

Options

Replies

• bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    can you do it Monday, Wednesday and Friday :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    all you are doing is restricting calories and eating in a deficit...you can do the same thing with MFP For free....

there is no magic fairy dust to weight loss....1 day diet...seven day diet ..whatever..its all the same...eat less + exercies = lose weight...I will now charge 19.99....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have done this a few times. It works. You will be hungry, especially if you are used to eating a lot more. You are supposed to lose 10 pounds in three days, I always lost 7-8 pounds in three days without exercising. The chemical composition and reduced carbs are what make it work.

I always went off the diet the rest of the week and pigged out and gained back most, if not all the weight lost in a few days. I have not tried doing this and then sticking to a healthy diet the rest of the week. I'm curious to try it that way.

This is good if you are going to a wedding or party and need to lose weight quickly. I have known people to do this every week, watching what they ate the other 4 days of the week and have lost 30 pounds in a month and kept it off.

so it works but you gain all the weight back...WTF?????
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think I saw this on Dr. Oz. may I suggest the Maker's diet by Jordan S Rubin it would b a lot better. you can eat as much as you want on the approved foods and no calorie counting. I lost 40 pounds on it when I did it. it's healthy food so you won't feel hungry.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Fine if you are using it in an emergency to look good for one particular day but as soon as you go back to normal you will put it straight back on and maybe a bit more. If you want to lose weight and keep it off for good then eat right and exercise and you will get where you want to be and stay there.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have tried it before. I lost about 6 or 7 pounds (mostly water weight) which I promptly regained, plus more, when I returned to normal eating.
  • inkforareason
    inkforareason Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating oreos, and skittles, and cotton candy. So long as you are keeping a caloric deficit. There are dozens of people who have gotten their blood drawn before and after a diet of nothing but junk food and as long as they kept a caloric deficit, they not only lost weight, but their bad cholesterol goes down, good cholesterol goes up, and their triglycerides go way way down. Now I am not advocating that kind of dieting at all but the fact is, that decades of "nutritional science" are just plain wrong and are being proven so every day by more and more scientists. There is just a massive marketing machine and fantastic sums of money being made behind the idea that one kind of sugar is worse for you than another, or one fat is worse for you than another. It has been categorically proven that your body treats high fructose corn syrup the EXACT same way that it treats pure natural cane sugar. A calorie is a calorie. Keep a deficit, and you lose weight. Keep a surplus, and you gain weight. Period. There are chemicals, both natural and synthetic that will speed up your metabolism, but a calorie is a calorie. You can eat absolutely anything you want, and so long as it fits your macros, and you keep a caloric deficit, you will lose weight and it will be healthy. Dont forget to take a multi-vitamin so you meet your micros as well. I have lost every single pound so far eating, for the most part, like hell. And I am losing weight quite quickly I might add. Eating proper, healthy, whole foods will always be the safer and more nutritionally beneficial way to eat. But it doesn't mean that you cant ever have a burger or some candy. Or that you cant even have it several times a week. Still believe that eating several times a day "keeps you metabolism going"? Bogus. Fantastic sums of people are finding out that IM (intermittent fasting) helps them lose weight every bit as well as eating eleventy times a day, and that it makes dieting much easier for them. No matter on what time schedule that you decide eat, it doesn't matter. Keep a caloric deficit, stick to your macros, eat a multi-vitamin so that you hit your micros, and guess what? You wont even have to work out to lose weight. Although your body look a whole lot better if you do. Don't listen to BS gimmicky diets or other outrageous claims. Its just too simple for some people to believe. IIFYM - if it fits your macros. Knowledge is power.

http://www.doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart1/
    http://www.doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart2/
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This is an old diet, recycled with many different kinds of foods. (Often with hot dogs and ice cream.) There is no magical chemical interaction between hot dogs and ice cream. There is no magical interaction between grapefruit and cottage cheese. Why would people believe this? It's absurd. If you aren't sure if it's a good idea or not, think about how you'd react to someone telling you HOT DOGS AND ICE CREAM were the secret to losing weight.

Because that's what this diet is telling you. Pick any two random foods and try to imagine the logistics of those being the secret.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    There is no magical chemical interaction between hot dogs and ice cream. Why would people believe this? It's absurd. If you aren't sure if it's a good idea or not, think about how you'd react to someone telling you HOT DOGS AND ICE CREAM were the secret to losing weight.

Because that's what this diet is telling you.

Because the unicorns told me it was true.

Calories in, calories out. Burn more than you eat and you will lose weight. Eating very low calories for three days a week will cause a deficit. Would work exactly the same if you replaced all of the food with Pop Tarts but the same calorie intake. Me? I'd rather spread the deficit over a week and eat what I want instead of having such a prescriptive plan.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could possibly lose 10 pounds in 3 days on that plan. I've done Edgar Casey's 3-day apple de-tox (apples, water, nothing else) and lost about 8 pounds, but it comes back. But I got de-toxed!
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First off let's be clear.

I'm ALL for the hot dogs and ice cream BUT

Is this something you're planning on doing for the rest of your life?

If not I would find something else.

May I suggest a calorie deficit coupled with physical activity??

That's radical thinking that is.

I know, I was GOB STOPPED!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could possibly lose 10 pounds in 3 days on that plan. I've done Edgar Casey's 3-day apple de-tox (apples, water, nothing else) and lost about 8 pounds, but it comes back. But I got de-toxed!

Rampant diarrhea is supposed evidence of "detoxing"? 'Cause that's what would happen if I only ate a mess of Apples! :laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Rampant diarrhea is supposed evidence of "detoxing"? 'Cause that's what would happen if I only ate a mess of Apples! :laugh:

Yeah, I don't think too many people think that far when they start detoxing or cleansing. It will consist of pooping. Watery, noisy, slippery pooping. And lots of it. Unnecessarily so, as well.

But yeah. Pooping.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is also called the "military diet" and is completely ridiculous. Its been gone over again and again on these boards. I would love someone to tell me what "chemical breakdown" is and how this diet achieves it. Do yourself a favor and just eat better and stay in your caloric and macro targets.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, I don't think too many people think that far when they start detoxing or cleansing. It will consist of pooping. Watery, noisy, slippery pooping. And lots of it. Unnecessarily so, as well.

But yeah. Pooping.

three days of diarrhea is flushing....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This is also called the "military diet" and is completely ridiculous. Its been gone over again and again on these boards. I would love someone to tell me what "chemical breakdown" is and how this diet achieves it. Do yourself a favor and just eat better and stay in your caloric and macro targets.

it should really be called the leprachaun and unicorn diet..or better yet the three day moronic plan...
  • Mommy_J
    Mommy_J Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Basically - from what I've read (I have not counted it out myself) it's a strick Calorie reduction diet. Day 1 gives you between 1000-1100 calories. Day 2 & 3 I think are closer to 800. Of course on that kind of deprevation diet you'll lose - but you'll be in starvation mode, and not surprisingly anything you eat in the days following will quickly make you gain it all back. If you are already on a low cal diet (1200-1500 calories) it will not be as "effective" as it would be for someone that is eating 2000 calories a day.

I seriously thought about it a few months back - but it's not worth hurting my metabolism like that. Frankly, my weightloss is a sustainable lifestyle change - there is nothing sustainable about less than 1200 calories a day (for me). Plus I love having the energy to work out!!

^^^^^^^^What she said! :)
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    Sounds more like a recipe for a yoyo to me....
  • losethatshit
    Options
    3 day diet isn't going to do **** or help you, especially in the long run. Even if you do lose more than water weight over these 3 days, which i highly doubt you will, you'll put the weight right back on after finishing because you never actually changed your old lifestyle or instituted any new permanent more healthy eating habits.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is doing it and has been losing weight, but I wanted to see if anyone has seen any really drastic results from trying it.

Its 3 days. You cant lose the weight you want (assuming most people want to lose fat) in 3 days eating that diet and not running across Arizona like they are Forest Gump. Good luck trying though!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!