Anyone else get fed up of logging food?

Options

Replies

• nkozyra
    nkozyra Posts: 10
    Options
    Here's my advice:

If you hate doing it, don't do it. It isn't necessary to log food, it's just a helpful tool. But anything you hate or feel like is a chore will eventually hurt your weight loss goals.

Conceptually, losing weight isn't hard - eat less than you burn. If you have done a few days of a normal diet, you have an idea of how much you'll consume. Stick around that. If you know your BMR + activity caloric, you have a baseline of what you need to eat - in general - and what you need to do - in general - to continue losing weight.

If you eat something one day and don't know how it plays into your diet, I'd log it just to get a general idea. But the process of logging everything continually is unnecessary. It may be a great tool for some, but if it's a chore, just stop.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The ultimate goal is not to log anything for me. When I can do that then it's job done.

Mine as well.

The goal shouldn't be to spend the rest of my natural life logging my foods, but to become cognizant of my habits and form new and healthy ones.

I plan on not "needing" mfp for a food log by the end of the year.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Like some others have said my biggest issue with logging food is when I've had something that probably wont be on the list - for example pizza from a local place not a big chain - what I do then is look on the list for the closest example. It might not be exactly the right breakdown but it'll be close enough to count.

I like the logging of the food - I think the majority of people are like me and have no idea just how many calories they're really eating in a day so logging everything that goes in my mouth has been hugely helpful in portion control and choosing better options.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yep, feels like a chore but I've learned for me if I don't then I don't tend to lose any weight.....
  • janewhite2627
    janewhite2627 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's easier on MFP than anything else I have tried and I really don't mind doing it. I like the control it gives me because I always know where I stand and how much I have left for the day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I "enjoy" logging my food, but I know that if I don't, then I will not lose any weight. It's too easy to lie to myself if there are no numbers to show me the truth.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Actually, I kinda like to log food and see what's going on calorie wise as well as some of the nutrients listed by MFP. Bar code scanner, my meals, recipes, most used, and recent all help in making it easy. Also, a large portion of my meals, such as breakfast and lunch for the week, are pretty much close to the same so I can log them in advance if I want and just make any adjustments on the fly.

I've got a long way to go and I'd rather stay focused and "deal" with the some times inconvenience of logging my food then just going all willy-nilly guessing and hoping I've "been good" for the day.

Besides, they're numbers and numbers can be neat.
  • resa820
    resa820 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain! I religiously logged my food for almost a year, during 9 months of which I lost 90 pounds. I started to gain back weight when I stopped logging, only about 10 pounds in about 9 or 10 months, but then because I wasn't logging food I wasn't logging exercise and I really started to slip and gained 30 more pounds in the last year. Now I am back to square 2 (I definitely did not gain back all 90!) and I am logging everything again and I'm going to keep up with it this time, permanently if I have to because I miss my size 4 pants!
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I took a break for a bit but I always come back.

This program really does work and it is FREE! :)

I don't log on the weekends to give myself a break. That might help you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Nope.

But I'm a type A, accountant-type so I am very comfortable with these recurring, tedious tasks. It would probably bother me more *not* to log.
  • BethMotley
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

610118.png
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cry-Baby.gif

:laugh:
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do get tired of it, but I know that logging is what helped me get here, and I'm not complaining. Taking a break every now and then is not bad.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Not really. I view it as a fabulously useful tool. I get more fed up when I can't access MFP to log it. I need a smart phone.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I started this "journey" I realised that I would be logging for the rest of my life. I read this and think maybe I could get away without logging..... but I think not. I would start off all good and then slip.

We recently had a weekend away and although did lots while we were camping we did eat and drink more than usual. We made good choices and were restrained, but when logging afterwards realised that we were both way over goal. We are not stressing about a great weekend away, but it has reiterated to us both that logging has kept us honest.

So yes I tend not to bother with veg and salad logging (Apart from in myRecipes) and we do guestimate sizes and weights, but logging is the way to go. Will I get to the point of not logging every day?..... Maybe when I am at work and it is fairly standard, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack then standard tea when I get home maybe, but I think I started this path of logging, it has worked so far, so I will keep doing it. I doubt I will ever trust myself enough not to.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't log unless I want to on the weekends. I'm to the point that I can hack off section of meat and it comes close to or is the amount I was aiming for. I have a good feel for how much I can eat. I'm still struggling with macros though. So, I log. Almost two years later.
  • BethMotley
    Options
    I look at it that logging is way easier than lugging around all the extra weight that I used to have on me

I so totally agree with you:happy:

610118.png
  • candace_ndiaye
    candace_ndiaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels that way, at least from time to time. I've gone through phases with it myself, where I write down literally everything I eat, and where I slack and only write one or two days a week.

It is annoying to keep up with, but while I'm losing weight, at least, I can say that it absolutely makes a difference in my motivation and how well I stick to things. It's also a good way to realize "how, that burger./cookie/whatever I had last night was REALLY not worth that many calories!" (Or at least, this is how I think of it.)

I don't think you have to be perfect, but I know that when I don't track what I eat I tend to slack in other areas as well.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have gotten to the point where I just add quick calories. It may be because I am just about at my goal and have learned proper eating habbits through this site.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have felt like quitting but never do. Sometimes, I have been known to skip a day of logging or mae a ramdom guess but go way high. What I find is making this easier is for some of my meals I put into recipes and if I eat them again I know what the calorie count is and also makes logging very easy.