Too Embarrassed to Lift Those Weights

Options
124»

Replies

• AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    God yes my brother actually went into the weights part today and asked if i was going to go in to but i wouldn't because that part always seems to just have men and never women :( i have the same fears as you
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can relate as well.
    Does your gym have a weight lifting class like Body Pump at Gold's Gym? That class was good for me to learn form. Maybe you could look into a class a time or two and get some pointers.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Honestly...get you *kitten* in there....I work out in the weight room 3-4 days a week and I am usually the only girl in there lifting. The guys are always very helpful and sometime I catch them staring...but I am kicking *kitten* and working hard.

Don't feel embarrassed!!!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Air Force and usually just work out in the small gym on base - the weight room isn't very large and always full of men grunting and groaning and lifting heavy. I felt uncomfortable at first but decided my workouts were more important. Now I ask if at can sneak in between their sets, and one beastly muscle guy even complimented me for doing dead lifts because he never sees females doing them :)
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Also, in the main area, the lat pull down is too high. I have to stand on the bench just to reach it.

I'd recommend doing bent over barbell rows instead of the lat pulldowns, as it works a lot more muscles at once. Compound lifts > isolation. Just a suggestion! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Compound lifts are win on all sorts of levels.

The number of people I see trying to do isolated curls using the bench for elbow support and wondering why they are struggling royally - it amazes me. Who teaches people to work on isolated curls as a beginner? Seriously? No wonder people are tearing muscles and dislocating elbows etc.

Unreal.

If you can work more than one muscle group as a beginner (or even intermediate) then you're onto a winner. Not only will you pack on good muscle in the right places, but you'll avoid injury a lot more down the line. As long as you're VERY conscious of your form whilst lifting, OVER lifting big until you're sure you've got the form down.

Which is probably why people get taught to do isolated stuff because it's easier to keep track of form... But sheesh.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Also, in the main area, the lat pull down is too high. I have to stand on the bench just to reach it.

I'd recommend doing bent over barbell rows instead of the lat pulldowns, as it works a lot more muscles at once. Compound lifts > isolation. Just a suggestion! :drinker: :bigsmile:

A compound exercise is one that employs more than one joint, yes?

Lat pulldown uses both elbows and shoulders, no?

(I mean, I do rows, but lat pulldowns aren't bad).
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I tune everyone out. I'm not about to let them stop me from what I want to do. I have never had a coach or personal trainer, but I mainly have learned if you do most exercises slow and precision (no jerky motions) and keep your back straight you mostly can't go wrong. I'm sure I do some things wrong but I have not injured myself and I'm getting stronger. If I'm not sure of an exercise form I look it up in youtube or on the internet.

Claim your spot at the gym!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    My gym is separated into strength training equipment/TRX/weights on the first floor and cardio on the second. I know I should be getting some strength training in to round out my routine, but I always find myself too embarrassed to grab those dumbbells. The first floor is completely DOMINATED by men covered in (sometimes beautiful/admirable/distracting) muscles (; The thought of going down there is so intimidating and awkward.

Irrationally, I feel like someone is gonna watch me and be like "wow, look.. her form is all wrong. She's so stupid." I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this. Hahaha. I just need to muster up some nerve and trek down there one of these days.

Now you know how us guys feel when you ladies are on the stair stepper or eliptical. :glasses:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My gym is set up the same way. I've only used the "weight section" ONCE only because my friend was with me and it was dead anyway.

I've also arrived at the gym, parked, turned around and went home after seeing how crowded it was. You're not the only one.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

They are both good. I do them both. Bent over rows are one of my favorites. I also do them in reverse pulling my body up, using a bar. Lat pull downs are a good strength builder towards pull ups and chin ups and good to alternate with a pressing exercise like dumbbell shoulder press (or another similar compound move that involves a push press). And I do push ups and lots of others.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

A compound exercise is one that employs more than one joint, yes?

Lat pulldown uses both elbows and shoulders, no?

(I mean, I do rows, but lat pulldowns aren't bad).

They are both good. I do them both. Bent over rows are one of my favorites. I also do them in reverse pulling my body up, using a bar. Lat pull downs are a good strength builder towards pull ups and chin ups and good to alternate with a pressing exercise like dumbbell shoulder press (or another similar compound move that involves a push press). And I do push ups and lots of others.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My gym is separated into strength training equipment/TRX/weights on the first floor and cardio on the second. I know I should be getting some strength training in to round out my routine, but I always find myself too embarrassed to grab those dumbbells. The first floor is completely DOMINATED by men covered in (sometimes beautiful/admirable/distracting) muscles (; The thought of going down there is so intimidating and awkward.

Irrationally, I feel like someone is gonna watch me and be like "wow, look.. her form is all wrong. She's so stupid." I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this. Hahaha. I just need to muster up some nerve and trek down there one of these days.

Work with a trainer for a couple of sessions if you're that self-conscious. Read a strength training book beforehand.