I wonder why... MSG MUST BE INCLUDED?

Options

Replies

• MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Mikey I totally agree with you! And that's why my profile says:
    I have to say I find it funny how people write on here to not add them without writing a personal message. Quite frankly it's not that deep for me, it's just a website, we're just cyber friends! lol

Let's face it after a day you forget what the message even said. I'm not auditioning to be your bff, so why the screening email?

I bet most of the time the person found you through the forums, it's not rocket science how they found you. Thought your post of picture was interesting, clicked on your profile and liked what they saw. Or maybe they saw you write on a mutual friends post. If they never post support on your updates, then you can delete them. But writing you an intro message does not mean they will be supportive later.

What I think more useful to this site is for everyone to write something in their profile so I know a little about you, where you are on your weightloss journey, do we weigh about the same, etc.

Will. You. Friend. Me. (msg not needed):happy:
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    Well, I ask people to leave a message so that I can engage in some kind of common interest chat with them. When they send a blank FR I go to their profile and glance over it. More often than not I'll accept. I've never declined. If they leave no message, I'm kinda given the task to iniate in coversation and ask "hey buddy, where did you see my profile and why did you add me?" or something like that. Just to know if we share the same common interests. I dont automatically decline people, in fact some of the most awesome people on my friends list sent no message. If I declined them, I would have no idea how funny or awesome they are.

But thats just me. :drinker:

and thats how I feel... that's why I asked.. I am not judging anyone, just a curious question

I just hope you dont get grilled for askin'. It wont be long before the snark and sarcastic ones pick up on this and then turn it into a huge conversation, more often than not veering off into another direction.

I know that there are "those" people out there, and to me I would handle it different than some.

ah, so you welcome the challenge.

ohh nooooooooooooooooooooooo:noway: :sad:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i dont feel the need to sell my MFP friendship, its free and you can cancel anytime. More likely than not i added you because i liked what you said in a thread, you have a similar goal or find you attractive, if you're male assume the first two lol
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have it listed. And there are two reasons why. I figure if you're adding me, you found me somehow. Just tell me how you found me... They guys who only have a TON of female "friends" who are all thin/fit/hot/in very little clothing. I get those mostly when I have a bikini picture up. I'm not here to be added to your MFP 'harem,' sorry. Since completing several Jillian Michaels programs, I post on a lot of threads regarding said workouts. People tend to add me because they're excited to get results like mine. I don't think it's too much to ask of people to read my profile and include a short message in the request. I all ready have too many in my list to be able to keep up with everyone, honestly, and it helps me kinda weed things out a bit. Sorry if that offends you, but that's why *I* do it.

To be honest, I only added 3 people on my friends list and I conversated with them before even friending them. If I were to add people, I would automatically add a comment, CAUSE I know it's polite too..:drinker: :sick: (I think I had too much to drink...)

Hehehe Cheers! :drinker: :wink:
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input. I like alot of the random ying-yang answers and it sums it up. I agree with reenie... there are many liars on here, and I take the site for what it's worth, just like Darkskinned said. I just think a FIRST AND FORMOST! NO COMMENT= DECLINE! is 100% not necessary, it's already written in the "unwritten rules".
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I consider it the first spelling, grammar and homonyms test of a potential candidate for being my MFP friend. It's just easier to cut some people off at the beginning instead of potentially hurting their feelings when I drop them shortly after adding them. I don't demand perfection, but there is a certain minimum level required to be on my FL.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have it on mine because I want to know why you're asking to be my friend. If I have no idea who you are why should I accept? I'm not a "friend collector". Also there are plenty of FR's that I get where 1) I don't know who you are and 2) your profile is private so I can't even see if you're a friend of a friend or anything for that matter.

If I'm not going to accept a friend request from someone I don't know on FB why should MFP be any different?
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I am new here. I have to say that when I get/give a request, I try to check the profile out. The fact of the matter is that people will only tell you what they want you to know about them and they can post any picture so you cannot really tell by looking at a picture or words how somebody may or may not be. I usually add most. I will then make decisions based on if they inspire me, motivate me or are a downer to my ultimate goal- which is to lose 45 more pounds and be healthy.

ITA I delete any debbie downers.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's polite.
    I decline anybody without a message. Because to be honest, I don't know where they came from or why they want to be my friend?

Is it some random teen with an ED? Is it some Buffalo Bill female collector?
    I have no interest in a friendship of any of those types.

Have you ever thought maybe that teen with ED is reaching out to you for help?? SO I think its kinda mean to include that one in there. as far as the female collector totally agree..
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    whew... anyway.. whoever wants to be my friend, I require nothing, nothing at all :drinker: There is no prerequisite to post on my wall or to explain yourself..
    Look, if you want to have low standards, feel free. If you're so presumptuous or lazy that you think I should automatically accept a request from someone I don't even know, well, I don't want to be your friend.
    I never heard anyone in real life say, "hey can we be friends because...." it just happens... I dunno..
    And how many times have you gotten a blank friend request in real life? Someone just walks up to you and says HI WE'RE FRIENDS NOW.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's polite.
    I decline anybody without a message. Because to be honest, I don't know where they came from or why they want to be my friend?

Have you ever thought maybe that teen with ED is reaching out to you for help?? SO I think its kinda mean to include that one in there. as far as the female collector totally agree..
    You know, there was a time when I freinded those users. And sadly I tried to help and could not. I care and worry way too much about people to care about somebody who quite frankly doesn't care about themselves.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    It's polite.

Hey missy, where was YOUR message? hmm hmmm?:laugh: :drinker:
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    whew... anyway.. whoever wants to be my friend, I require nothing, nothing at all :drinker: There is no prerequisite to post on my wall or to explain yourself..
    Look, if you want to have low standards, feel free. If you're so presumptuous or lazy that you think I should automatically accept a request from someone I don't even know, well, I don't want to be your friend.
    I never heard anyone in real life say, "hey can we be friends because...." it just happens... I dunno..
    And how many times have you gotten a blank friend request in real life? Someone just walks up to you and says HI WE'RE FRIENDS NOW.

do you need a hug... I think you need a hug. :ohwell:
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't require that, but most of my friends at least send a message, even if it is "you're hot, or I like your pic" at least they are honest and get an add. I have added people with no messages in the past and they ended up being a stalker, and creepy. Not required for me but appreciated
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

do you need a hug... I think you need a hug. :ohwell:

Nah, she probably just needs a few hundred random MFP "friends".

That seems to make everything better.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I like messages from the guys that have 56 female friends and haven't lost a pound.

Hey, everybody needs a pick me up, even if they smell their hands afterwards.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I don't put it in my profile. I just "hit" deny more often than not. Cause I reserve the right to do whatever the *kitten* I want with my MFP user experience.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple... It's my choice to put that if I so desire. I want to keep my friends list small and manageable so I can be as supportive as possible and remain able to communicate with everyone. If I get a request without a message I am generally going to know nothing about you including whether or not you will even stay dedicated here and/or communitcate with me, post on my status updates, etc.

It certainly has NOTHING to do with some celebrity status whatsoever! In fact, the majority of my friends here have this on their own profile as well.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    From my experience, those who friend request me without a message never interact with me, so I don't add them. But I'm not gonna specify that in my profile since it sounds kind of snobby. Although I suppose I'm still being a snob.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Having standards does not make you a snob.

Having pride does not make you a snob.

I will never apologize for being amazing.